Ns2 comp scene?

TheEwokTheEwok Join Date: 2011-09-19 Member: 121981Members
<div class="IPBDescription">chances?</div>Hey there, this question has proberaly been asked and/or its just a stupid question, but i was just wondering...
Does it look like there will be a comp scene in NS2? ive never actually played NS1 but i have heard great things about it.

I have a comp backround in tf2 but im slowly getting bored of the gameplay, and just as i was losing hope in comp i remembered...NS2!
The game play looks awesome; requiring good teamwork and coordination. It just seems like the pefect comp game.. The game i have been waiting for.
Hopefully one will develop, but even if it doesnt i will still play! :)
So if anyone has any thoughts, please share :) again this is proberaly a silly question :P

Comments

• TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1875507:date=Sep 19 2011, 02:34 PM:name=TheEwok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheEwok @ Sep 19 2011, 02:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875507"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey there, this question has proberaly been asked and/or its just a stupid question, but i was just wondering...
    Does it look like there will be a comp scene in NS2? ive never actually played NS1 but i have heard great things about it.

I have a comp backround in tf2 but im slowly getting bored of the gameplay, and just as i was losing hope in comp i remembered...NS2!
    The game play looks awesome; requiring good teamwork and coordination. It just seems like the pefect comp game.. The game i have been waiting for.
    Hopefully one will develop, but even if it doesnt i will still play! :)
    So if anyone has any thoughts, please share :) again this is proberaly a silly question :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Follow 6v6 Cup and NS2HD tournament on General discussion if you want to see whats going on at the moment.

Not looking too bright on gameplay side though but worst case scenario there will be a competitive mod.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1875511:date=Sep 19 2011, 08:55 AM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Sep 19 2011, 08:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Follow 6v6 Cup and NS2HD tournament on General discussion if you want to see whats going on at the moment.

Not looking too bright on gameplay side though but worst case scenario there will be a competitive mod.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't know what TrC is playing, but the competitive scene is small but very active right now. Inversion scrims at least 3 times a week and holds a weekly PUG event on Saturdays for the community to try out the organized play instead of just public play.

Just remember, the game is in beta and nothing is set in stone and will change on a build to build basis. There are many bugs with the game currently which can cause frustrating being a fresh new face on the battlefield. Regardless, the game is still extremely fun to play in an organized system.

Check our the NS2HD tournament to get a complete list of teams currently active.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Actually, the game has a pretty high skill ceiling as it is, competitive mod may not be needed.

I think the competitive scene is only ramping up, more people are joining clans, and more scrims are happening from what I see.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'm very optimistic about that competitive scene for NS2. To have over 110 players register for a tournament when the game is only in rough beta is a great sign. The gameplay is conducive to competitive play and UWE has on several occasions mentioned that they are developing the gameplay with 'e-sport' in mind.

Many will complain that the gameplay is not as competitive as NS1 - I would take such statements with a grain of salt. No one knows what the end product gameplay will look like. There's only one thing for sure: RTS cross FPS is a fantastic competitive format.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1875586:date=Sep 19 2011, 07:22 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Sep 19 2011, 07:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875586"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, the game has a pretty high skill ceiling as it is<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It really doesn't. The only elements that have any depth at the moment are aiming and teamwork.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1875607:date=Sep 19 2011, 09:04 PM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Sep 19 2011, 09:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875607"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The gameplay is conducive to competitive play and UWE has on several occasions mentioned that they are developing the gameplay with 'e-sport' in mind.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Could you point out when and where they've talked about the more competetive side of the game?

I can remember some vague refrences to Starcraft back from time where the whole NS2 didn't exist, but I can't think of any notable design related mentions anywhere within the last 3 years or so.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1875611:date=Sep 19 2011, 01:34 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Sep 19 2011, 01:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It really doesn't. The only elements that have any depth at the moment are aiming and teamwork.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Which is the most important parts of the game right now. Many of the other gameplay elements (research path, strategic location, etc.) are secondary to just being a very good shooter who works flawlessly with their teammates.

WRT the OP, there currently is a competitive scene that, although still small, is growing. NS2 is very amenable to competitive gameplay.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1875628:date=Sep 19 2011, 11:04 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 19 2011, 11:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875628"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which is the most important parts of the game right now. Many of the other gameplay elements (research path, strategic location, etc.) are secondary to just being a very good shooter who works flawlessly with their teammates.

WRT the OP, there currently is a competitive scene that, although still small, is growing. NS2 is very amenable to competitive gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In a melee vs. ranged game, movement is always going to be the most important part. The aiming part is also hurt by the lack of depth to the movement system/s. Disregarding that, a bare minimum for a remotely serious competitive game would be first person spectating, demo recording and some sort of file consistency check. Following that is gameplay depth, balance, optimization, mass spectating, and all sorts of other things.

Basically, the only way this is going to give any sort of meaning, is by comparing it to other games. The NS2 beta just doesn't match up, even to the ones aimed more towards casual players. That's not all that strange though, since it's still in early beta, but it's the truth none the less. NS2 is still sort of fun to play and has potential, but right now, at this moment, it isn't conducive to competitive play.

Bear in mind that I'm not saying that it isn't possible to play it competitively, or that it isn't possible to have ggs, but anyone saying NS2 is tournament ready is delusional.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Whether a game is ready for competitive play or not is subjective. For example, Bad Company 2 has a competitive scene despite severe netcode issues making gameplay a random event for different players. NS2 is the same way. Luckily though, since it's still a beta, and not complete, I expect it to grow into the competitive title I imagine it to be, until then, I will play "competitively" within it's current bottlenecks and handicaps.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1875611:date=Sep 19 2011, 09:34 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Sep 19 2011, 09:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It really doesn't. The only elements that have any depth at the moment are aiming and teamwork.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're forgetting that it's client dependent right now too. So if you're like me and you can play high-end games on high settings and aim fluidly but you can't play NS2 without jerking and with clunky controls and heavy mouse movement, the only skill ceiling I can take for that is client performance.

Although we do need something more. I mean being able to buy your guns at a whim now rather than having coordinated and strategical ground units controlled by a commander isn't my idea of NS as an RTS/FPS mish-mash. That's my idea of NS Combat.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Looking at Schimmel's mod, NS2 has a lot going for it from an RTS point-of-view, the movement-mechanics however are pisspoor and _must_ be sorted before any half-decent competitive-scene can flourish. Too much run-and-gun s.hit going on at the moment...
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    i think its doing alright.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Once the tournament finishes we are starting to see how many people are actually willing to stick playing the game longer than the very first novelty. Right now there's a bit of scaffolding done - which is most excellent - but there's nothing concrete and solid yet.