Will my rig run NS2 fine?

BsychoBsycho Join Date: 2003-12-03 Member: 23900Members, Reinforced - Shadow
i will buy ns2 anyway at some point (played ns1 since early builds), but there is the question if it makes any sense right now or if i get a new machine next year or so.

can still play most recent games, although not on the highest settings.

my current configuration:

intel duo @2x3ghz
4gb ram (but 32bit win xp)
nvidia gt8800 (overclocked by work, only 256mb vram i believe)
asus striker extreme mainboard

thx for advice and excuse my bad english

ps: maybe there should be a sticky regarding these questions (maybe i didnt find it?) as there seem to be similiar threads around here. i know there are the minimum req. somewhere but it also states the beta is more demanding right now.

Comments

• TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Not this year, maybe release.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    256Mb VRAm would probably make it struggle even on the "ridiculously awful" setting, which is just the low detail setting and ain't all that ridiculously awful if you ask me. But yeah, we can't tell you with any certainty it will or will not run. There are people with brand new rigs that get low FPS and there are people with 2 year old rigs chalking up to 30FPS. The beta is just not stable enough across multiple platforms currently :/
  • PawndemoniumPawndemonium Join Date: 2010-07-24 Member: 72725Members
    edited September 2011
    The CPU should do just fine (2x3GHz here aswell and I played on high detail some weeks ago), although the game performance is a mysterious stranger since 185, remains to be seen how 186 fares.
    As of now, hold your money back, unless you feel generous.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I hit an <i>out of VRAM</i> error yesterday in-game, and I have 1024 MB.