Group Reward/Assist System Implementation

2»

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1877380:date=Sep 28 2011, 07:40 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 28 2011, 07:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877380"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd actually like to see a far simpler system in which RFK are given for a specific amount of points accumulated (for example, 1 PRes for 10 points). Then you could adjust the point system to include all the teamwork-related actions (welding armory, gorge heal, kill assists, building, repairing, squad-related activities, achieving comm orders, etc.) that you want. I think this would achieve essentially the same thing as your system.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Then you get into the issue of point farming: Marine teams who spam constructions to get heavy weapons quick, and Kharaa who hop in front of turrets then back to a waiting Gorge again and again until they go ONOS are a few examples that come to mind.
  • NixxenNixxen Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26401Members
    One way to do it could be to award every marine in the squad "blob" with a point when someone in that blob gets a kill.
    That might skew the points gained per kill based on how many players are in the blob, but no one would feel as if someone else stole their kill since the entire squad gets rewarded.
    Only way someone would feel left out would be if two squad blobs intersect when fighting I.E. an onos and one of the squads have been fighting it for some time and the other squad just runs in and snipe the kill.
    To remedy this any squad participating in the kill could get points for it, but that would offset the points per kill even more though.
  • CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
    +1 to the idea, the maths is so horribly wrong tho.

Who cares who gets the kill ? If one person does 70% of the dmg, they get 70% of the reward, wow, that was hard maths !
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1877401:date=Sep 29 2011, 03:42 AM:name=Cygone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cygone @ Sep 29 2011, 03:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877401"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1 to the idea, the maths is so horribly wrong tho.

Who cares who gets the kill ? If one person does 70% of the dmg, they get 70% of the reward, wow, that was hard maths !<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's a little more than that. Yes some situations can be this simple but with regen and healing it makes it complex and maybe not worth doing. As mentioned above an Onos getting healed would be a nightmare to this equation. All those involved bring the beast down would get fractions of a point which wouldn't be displayed.

As mentioned above also it would be a nightmare to balance. Skulks awarding no more than 1 point would create the fraction problem above. Good thing they usually die to one MAYBE two marines and usually dont have a chance to retreat. Lerk is kinda in the same boat. Now award Pres to gorges healing as i said above would be a nightmare also. People abusing would be common place and hard to stop.

All in all the assist kill would be the only thing IMO in this idea is worth pursuing, but even then not game breaking if it is not.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1877386:date=Sep 28 2011, 07:54 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Sep 28 2011, 07:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877386"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then you get into the issue of point farming: Marine teams who spam constructions to get heavy weapons quick, and Kharaa who hop in front of turrets then back to a waiting Gorge again and again until they go ONOS are a few examples that come to mind.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can solve 90% of the problem by adjusting the point/RFP values. If people are accumulating PRes too fast, make it 50 or 100 points/PRes. If people are spending too much time constructing or healing, reduce those values in half or more. In most matches, I don't think you'll see much of a difference from the current play if balanced properly. There are, of course, probably 10% of players who will abuse any RFK/RFP system, but those are generally the same people who abuse any scoring system (points, K/D, etc) and there is little you can do to solve that without gimping core game mechanics.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Is it possible to treat the RPK much like honor was given out in WoW. Where if you killed (healed in NS's case) the same person multiple times within a set amount of time you would get sharp diminishing returns. Could work but i have no idea the code behind it.
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1877446:date=Sep 29 2011, 01:08 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Sep 29 2011, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877446"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it possible to treat the RPK much like honor was given out in WoW. Where if you killed (healed in NS's case) the same person multiple times within a set amount of time you would get sharp diminishing returns. Could work but i have no idea the code behind it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So if you help out your team by securing a hallway/area while they build structures, resupply, hit elsewhere...etc. and manage to hold off multiple waves of attackers, you get penalized? What about if the Kharaa team just suicides into your group as Skulks again and again, confident that every building they kill costs you valuable TRes while the Marines are gaining PRes too slowly to replenish their numbers?

Punishing people for killing the same enemy multiple times encourages suicide rushes and penalizes people who actually have the teamwork and coordination to survive several waves of enemy assault. Expecting a Marine to "give" his PRes to another so that more total res is acquired for the team is counter intuitive and kind of unfair.
    <!--quoteo(post=1877448:date=Sep 29 2011, 01:19 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Sep 29 2011, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877448"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So if you help out your team by securing a hallway/area while they build structures, resupply, hit elsewhere...etc. and manage to hold off multiple waves of attackers, you get penalized? What about if the Kharaa team just suicides into your group as Skulks again and again, confident that every building they kill costs you valuable TRes while the Marines are gaining PRes too slowly to replenish their numbers?

Punishing people for killing the same enemy multiple times encourages suicide rushes and penalizes people who actually have the teamwork and coordination to survive several waves of enemy assault. Expecting a Marine to "give" his PRes to another so that more total res is acquired for the team is counter intuitive and kind of unfair.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or take away RPK entirely and make the focus on RTs.

My idea was if the same player got killed multiple times within a set amount of time the Pres gained diminishes. Alien wise it wouldnt effect things that badly since it takes aliens a bit to get back into the fight. Marine wise with the stupid squad spawning it might or "feed gates".

You example is only valid if my set time that i mentioned was mote than 1 minutes. I was thinking along the lines of 20-25 seconds. So settle down.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    Its kind of contradictory (to me at least) how points attributed individually would work to enhance the work of a team. The only reward should be winning as a team if team work is what you want. Which I believe is something you learn by practice and personal experience. If you tell what is good by rewarding specific actions you lose the natural instinct of it.

I don't really like the idea of attributing arbitrary value to a action, as they will never be correct because the value of that action depends on the situation.
    <!--quoteo(post=1877456:date=Sep 29 2011, 02:52 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Sep 29 2011, 02:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877456"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or take away RPK entirely and make the focus on RTs.

My idea was if the same player got killed multiple times within a set amount of time the Pres gained diminishes. Alien wise it wouldnt effect things that badly since it takes aliens a bit to get back into the fight. Marine wise with the stupid squad spawning it might or "feed gates".

You example is only valid if my set time that i mentioned was mote than 1 minutes. I was thinking along the lines of 20-25 seconds. So settle down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    20-25 seconds is plenty of time for a skulk to get killed and suicide back into a pack of Marines. Maybe 2-3 times if the fighting is close.

If your enemy is spamming squad-spawning to overwhelm you with units, then that's a zerg rush tactic in itself, and one that will cause far worse game problems than a pres imbalance (like a massive replenishing wave of enemies who can wear down your defenses faster than you can fix them, for one).
    Which would be a good thing as stalemates go... what is your point...
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1877463:date=Sep 29 2011, 03:45 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Sep 29 2011, 03:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877463"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which would be a good thing as stalemates go... what is your point...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    My point is that if the enemy is able to zerg you with units (when you are unable to do the same), PRes imbalance isn't going to matter. Your forces are going to get swept away under wave of group reinforcements, ending the game (or you'll be so entrenched that no amount of military strength the enemy can throw at you will be able to push you out). Changing RFK for dealing with massive waves of enemy troops only has an actual effect if just one of the sides is flooding with units (otherwise both sides get impacted equally, and it's like they're right back to normal combat PRes), and at that point, the game is over one way or another. PRes isn't a goal of NS2 gameplay; it's a means to achieve the end of winning the match.
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1877464:date=Sep 29 2011, 03:58 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Sep 29 2011, 03:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877464"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My point is that if the enemy is able to zerg you with units (when you are unable to do the same), PRes imbalance isn't going to matter. Your forces are going to get swept away under wave of group reinforcements, ending the game (or you'll be so entrenched that no amount of military strength the enemy can throw at you will be able to push you out). Changing RFK for dealing with massive waves of enemy troops only has an actual effect if just one of the sides is flooding with units (otherwise both sides get impacted equally, and it's like they're right back to normal combat PRes), and at that point, the game is over one way or another. PRes isn't a goal of NS2 gameplay; it's a means to achieve the end of winning the match.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm really not understanding your point. Do you agree with Visionz idea or are you against it? Once that is established know that i am against it but if it were to be implemented I'm trying to minimize it's overall effect on game play.

The idea in essence seems to be to help hold your hand into going along with squads to gain more Pres by working together to bring down/build targets. In the case of mass rushes Pres as you say doesnt factor in.

Pres is a short term goal to gain better weapons/life forms to reach your long term goal of defeating the other team.
    <!--quoteo(post=1877467:date=Sep 29 2011, 04:41 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Sep 29 2011, 04:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877467"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm really not understanding your point. Do you agree with Visionz idea or are you against it? Once that is established know that i am against it but if it were to be implemented I'm trying to minimize it's overall effect on game play.

The idea in essence seems to be to help hold your hand into going along with squads to gain more Pres by working together to bring down/build targets. In the case of mass rushes Pres as you say doesnt factor in.

Pres is a short term goal to gain better weapons/life forms to reach your long term goal of defeating the other team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is in response to your idea of reducing PRes for kills on the same person in a small amount of time.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2011
    RFK is an unnescessary evil that causes stalemates and encourages ramboing while bringing nothing to the game. There's no way to make it "fair", because the value of performing some action is extremely situational.

I'd even like to remove kills, deaths and points from the scoreboard. Unnescessary and irrelevant information can only lead to metagaming nonsense where players set other goals for themselves than winning the game(kill:death ratio, points).

Achievements are even worse; they can make people behave like complete ######(this unnescessary sensoring by the swear filter of a word for mammary glands and a family of passerine birds makes it look a lot more rude than it should) because they "have to get the kill 3 people in a row with the <useless weapon> achievement".
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1877482:date=Sep 30 2011, 01:40 AM:name=Soylent_green)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soylent_green @ Sep 30 2011, 01:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877482"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->RFK is an unnescessary evil that causes stalemates and encourages ramboing while bringing nothing to the game. There's no way to make it "fair", because the value of performing some action is extremely situational.

I'd even like to remove kills, deaths and points from the scoreboard. Unnescessary and irrelevant information can only lead to metagaming nonsense where players set other goals for themselves than winning the game(kill:death ratio, points).

Achievements are even worse; they can make people behave like complete ######(this unnescessary sensoring by the swear filter of a word for mammary glands and a family of passerine birds makes it look a lot more rude than it should) because they "have to get the kill 3 people in a row with the <useless weapon> achievement".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Is it necessary to be so absolute with everything?

RFK has beneficial features. It mixes up otherwise extremely stale timings. With good teamwork it creates a dynamic where teams intentionally feed certain players the frags. It's a good way to balance out the supply costs for healing up, letting the res flow to adapt to the game tempo instead of relying on some specific RT income that sets up a specific tempo.

Is it worth having in the game? I don't know, that's where it stats being an interesting debate.

---

Scoreboard is ridiculously good for getting feedback as a commander.

-OK, I'm a comm, I've got one marine doing lots of fragging, others not doing that much, how do I adapt to this?

-I'll force a siege on the 2nd hive, that allows me to do better with a team like this even if it's risky as it gets.

Scoreboard is also vital for understanding RFK flow and such. There's so much it allows me to read strategically in a situation where I don't know exactly who my teammates are and how and what they're doing.

Do the benefits outweight the metagaming distraction mentioned? I don't know, that's where it gets interesting once again.

---

As for achievements I'm a bit indifferent. Most games pull them off in really awful ways. Could they be used beneficially? Most likely. However, I'd probably skip it for NS2 as the to-do list is already long enough as it is and doing things halfway properly leads to the distraction you mentioned.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2011
    Maybe the Pres for kill could be changed in a way that the whole team benefits from it?
    The Pres gained from a kill could land in a pool and as soon as the pool reaches the number of players, all players will be given 1 Pres.

Pres: Land in a pool and will be rewarded to the Team (kill only)
    Tres: For the Team (kill only)

So all players benefit from a kill and you still get points for an assist.

The Achivements.... it really depends on what the DEV want. Compare TF2 (20000000 Achievements) and f.e. MW2 (30? Achievments) you can focus on good Achivements (like Weld 100 Marines) or bad ones ( Kill 5 onos with a knife). By choosing the right achievements you can use it as a "tutorial". If I weld 100 rines it will be normal/routine for me to always do it. Also I am sure NS2 should have Achivements because it attracts also players (and on release there should be some NS2 stuff on TF2, people would just buy this game to get a pocket Gorge with hydra hat!), but they need to be "good" ones.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    edited September 2011
    I'm for some form of assist system, mostly for the RFK since that's likely sticking around, and since score hasn't been an important thing since arcade games were popular in the U.S. as far as I'm concerned.

Floodinator's idea sounds.. interesting, though I'm not sure how I feel about it's validity yet, I'd want to see some tests done likely there.

I like the idea of a squad either getting an even cut of kills or the first 2 or 3 highest contributors in a situation getting a percent based cut.

As for gorges or a com getting an assist of some sort: I feel them getting a small fixed amount whenever someone they've recently healed (within X time since healing) as they can very easily assist multiple players at once it'll add up to reasonable numbers. Though fractions of a Pres will likely be involved I personally don't have a problem with this, I do think the Pres indication in-game should round up to a tenth rather than rounding off the decimal all together.
    I find Floodinator's idea good in principle but bad in practice; it means that less killed (or griefing) players will be able to leech off of ones who are giving their all, getting res from their kills without having to contribute, and increasing the amount of effort the skilled ones must exert in order to gain res.

I also don't like that it puts in place an environment where talented players can feel their team is "holding them back" or "dead weight", and not without justification either.
  • ogzogzogzogz Join Date: 2011-10-01 Member: 124902Members
    just implement the ability to get res off kills/assist etc, and the option for the server to set the %ages

let the servers decide to go the full pres way, or res node way, or any mixture in between