Performance

GertjanGertjan Join Date: 2011-08-30 Member: 119151Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Performance</div>Hi all

Is there anyway to increase performance in NS2? Normally my pc would be able to run this kind of gameplay and graphics, my pc aint really good but it's good enough

I know most of the lag is because it's beta, but is their anyway to lower graphics more then in options etc...???

And maybe a suggestion : It would be nice if we could lower the graphics some more :)

My pc is laptop ASUS K70AB serie

2.1 Ghz x2
HD4570, 512Mb Ati radeon
4GB memory

Should be enough no ??

I hope that the performance can be increased in the next patches (It's a BIG and NICE difference since 185 when I bought the game ) but some more would be nice so I can play the game nicely!!

Good luck with next patches, I love the game already !!!

KlesK

Comments

• CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1879546:date=Oct 12 2011, 06:05 PM:name=Gertjan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gertjan @ Oct 12 2011, 06:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879546"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->my pc aint really good but it's good enough<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Epic fail quote

No really it is not, that a 3rd generation old GPU for a start, and a poor one at that. This is a beta in a game with a new engine, sorry you need a better pc
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1879546:date=Oct 12 2011, 10:05 AM:name=Gertjan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gertjan @ Oct 12 2011, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879546"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And maybe a suggestion : It would be nice if we could lower the graphics some more :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We'll have more graphics options available in the future (as well as more performance improvements). One thing you can do from the console that will help a little bit is turning off the shadows with: r_shadows false
  • GertjanGertjan Join Date: 2011-08-30 Member: 119151Members
    Haha lol damnit that ain't good...

I still think when its on low graphics I can run NS2 and play smooth!? I mean, I can play Starcraft II on lowest graphics smooth (enough)...

I know that its impossible for me to run new games, but NS2 is INDIE game so I think that graphics would be somewhat lower that new recent games? :s :s :s (I hope so)

If someone can give me an answer on the fact that I could run NS2 smooth enough to acctually enjoy it, I would be happy!
    <!--quoteo(post=1879555:date=Oct 12 2011, 08:28 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Oct 12 2011, 08:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We'll have more graphics options available in the future (as well as more performance improvements). One thing you can do from the console that will help a little bit is turning off the shadows with: r_shadows false<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aah ok thnx!!
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1879556:date=Oct 12 2011, 08:33 PM:name=Gertjan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gertjan @ Oct 12 2011, 08:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879556"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->on the fact that I could run NS2 smooth enough to acctually enjoy it, I would be happy!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When it launches the final version ofcourse
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    You can try some of the changes/console commands that I covered here: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114428&st=0&p=1865022&#entry1865022" target="_blank">Link</a>

I would try these commands in the console first (I believe they only affect graphic items, so gameplay shouldn't be affected although the game will look worst)
    r_shadows false
    r_bloom false
    r_instancing false

If you're still having issues, you could try these console commands, although they have some big gameplay drawbacks
    r_flash false
    r_mode unlit

r_flash false will cause the marine weapon ammo counters to stop working (because they are using flash)
    r_mode unlit basically makes the entire game fully lit, so its a bit like an exploit because it lets you see players hidden in shadows/dark rooms really easy.

Also, vizionz has a good post about tweaking options for your GPU that may be helpful: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114414&st=20&p=1865716&#entry1865716" target="_blank">Link</a>
    I know its for Nvidia, but some of the same concepts can apply to ATI/AMD GPUs (such as turning down graphics options). Also, since you have a dual core processor, if might be helpful to set ns2.exe's affinity to your 2nd core.

Edit: First link updated
    <!--quoteo(post=1879577:date=Oct 12 2011, 09:33 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Oct 12 2011, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can try some of the changes/console commands that I covered here: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114428&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....=114428&hl=</a>

I would try these commands in the console first (I believe they only affect graphic items, so gameplay shouldn't be affected although the game will look worst)
    r_shadows false
    r_bloom false
    r_instancing false

If you're still having issues, you could try these console commands, although they have some big gameplay drawbacks
    r_flash false
    r_mode unlit

r_flash false will cause the marine weapon ammo counters to stop working (because they are using flash)
    r_mode unlit basically makes the entire game fully lit, so its a bit like an exploit because it lets you see players hidden in shadows/dark rooms really easy.

Also, vizionz has a good post about tweaking options for your GPU that may be helpful: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=10649&view=findpost&p=1865716" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....t&p=1865716</a>
    I know its for Nvidia, but some of the same concepts can apply to ATI/AMD GPUs (such as turning down graphics options). Also, since you have a dual core processor, if might be helpful to set ns2.exe's affinity to your 2nd core.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ty very much those first 3 commands helped alot. The mode unlit does help alot but it makes the game no fun hehe :D

Can I get banned for those commands :s ???

The first link does not work for me , the 2nd link helped alot :)!!

I hope that when the game has he's final version I can play smooth.. I really do :'(, cant spend money on a gaming pc, just impossible for me, just want to have fun with good games that my pc can handle.. After like 10 years or more of Half life 1 and 2 fun I can use a game like NS to fill my days gaming :)
  • kinkoskinkos Join Date: 2004-01-30 Member: 25762Members, Constellation
    No you will not be banned from using those commands.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    You can't get banned for them. Although some servers use a mod to stop people using unlit and it's generally frowned upon.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1879588:date=Oct 12 2011, 02:19 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Oct 12 2011, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879588"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can't get banned for them. Although some servers use a mod to stop people using unlit and it's generally frowned upon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is true, but it can be the difference between NS2 being playable and unplayable for some people right now. I'd use the last two command (r_flash false and r_mode unlit) only if your performance is still terrible.

Also, it should be noted that not all performance issues are client-side. The stuff I listed will only improve your client-side fps (which you can check by type r_stats into the console). However, there are server-side performance issues in the current beta (such as stuttering and rubberbanding) that their isn't much you can do about on your end. The only option is to play on servers with very good hardware (Inversion, Team 156, Australia Pure, HBZ, etc) until those issues are fixed. You can sort of guess the server performance by typing net_stats into the console and watching the server rate. On 'good' servers this rate will stay mostly between 20-30 ticks per second and only occasionally drop into single digit territory during heavy combat/long games.
  • B1ackSmokeB1ackSmoke Join Date: 2011-01-25 Member: 78855Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1879546:date=Oct 12 2011, 10:05 AM:name=Gertjan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gertjan @ Oct 12 2011, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879546"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My pc is laptop ASUS K70AB serie

2.1 Ghz x2
    HD4570, 512Mb Ati radeon
    4GB memory

KlesK<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gertjan,
    You say that you are playing from a laptop correct?
    Do your fans run high as well?

-B1ackSmoke
    <!--quoteo(post=1879606:date=Oct 13 2011, 12:15 AM:name=B1ackSmoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (B1ackSmoke @ Oct 13 2011, 12:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879606"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gertjan,
    You say that you are playing from a laptop correct?
    Do your fans run high as well?

-B1ackSmoke<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Jep i'm playing from a laptop!

Fans (i think it's "ventilation" :) ) eeeuuuhhhmmm I think not because i hardly hear my fans, it does not make alot of noise...

Btw: Does someone knows the system req for NS2 launch ??? I found some on the internet, some say my PC is good enough some say it's slightly not...
    If someone could answer this (if possible) i would be happy :p
    <!--quoteo(post=1879684:date=Oct 13 2011, 06:23 AM:name=Gertjan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gertjan @ Oct 13 2011, 06:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879684"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fans (i think it's "ventilation" :) ) eeeuuuhhhmmm I think not because i hardly hear my fans, it does not make alot of noise...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I play from my Macbook as well, these especially have horrible ventilation. Laptops in General=Bad ventilation. I think a true gaming pc is a desktop computer. Wish I could find $1,000 on the ground to build my own custom one! haha
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1879556:date=Oct 12 2011, 01:33 PM:name=Gertjan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gertjan @ Oct 12 2011, 01:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879556"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...
    I know that its impossible for me to run new games, but NS2 is INDIE game so I think that graphics would be somewhat lower that new recent games? :s :s :s (I hope so)
    ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

sry to disappoint you, but indie doesn't mean bad graphics :)
  • cmcpasserbycmcpasserby Join Date: 2011-10-09 Member: 126489Members
    indie means far from low spec, since there are lots of indie games that use high end games engines like cryengien UE3/UDK, and in the case of NS2, it's a engine that was made in house, to take advantage of all features of the time that it was started, and it is not fully optimized yet.
    <!--quoteo(post=1879748:date=Oct 13 2011, 12:25 PM:name=cmcpasserby)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmcpasserby @ Oct 13 2011, 12:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879748"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it is not fully optimized yet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When it is fully optimized, will it run a lot smoother for us lower end computer users?

-B1ackSmoke
  • Horseless HeadmanHorseless Headman Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76594Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1879801:date=Oct 14 2011, 12:11 AM:name=B1ackSmoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (B1ackSmoke @ Oct 14 2011, 12:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When it is fully optimized, will it run a lot smoother for us lower end computer users?

-B1ackSmoke<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tradionally, whenever optimizing things they tend to become more effective/better/faster/etc. So my guess would be: yes.
    Although, of course, it depends on your definition of "a lot".
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2011
    I was very surprised to find my FPS to be increased dramatically today, from 90 to 120 in the RR, and 35 to 55 in marine start on summit by myself. Normally, I get 30-50 FPS in game.

However, the FPS can drop like an Onos when action picks up. A lot of people, including myself are experiencing FPS as low as 10-20 when engaging in combat. That continues to be the most significant performance problem in NS2.

BTW My specs are:
    Intel Pentium (Core 2) E6500 (3GHz)
    4GB DDR2 RAM (dual channel)
    Gigabyte HD5750 1GB
    Win7 32bit
  • Shad0WeNShad0WeN Join Date: 2011-09-15 Member: 121526Members
    ScardyBob,

the tweaking tips are much appreciated! neither of those links you posted above are working for me though :(
    <!--quoteo(post=1879924:date=Oct 14 2011, 10:02 AM:name=Shad0WeN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shad0WeN @ Oct 14 2011, 10:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ScardyBob,

the tweaking tips are much appreciated! neither of those links you posted above are working for me though :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Alright, try now.
    <!--quoteo(post=1879855:date=Oct 14 2011, 11:28 AM:name=Horseless Headman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Horseless Headman @ Oct 14 2011, 11:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tradionally, whenever optimizing things they tend to become more effective/better/faster/etc. So my guess would be: yes.
    Although, of course, it depends on your definition of "a lot".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I think so too. When NS2 is fully optimized it will run smooth enough for players with low pc specs

Mine are : 2.1 Ghz x2
    HD radeon 4570 512MB
    4GB ram
    Laptop xD

When I play windowed with shadows instancing and bloom on false the game has a solid +-20FPS wich is playable for me!

When performance gets a little better and more graphic options are available to lower them I bet that I can play the game smooth on low graphics... /fingers crossed , if not then I'm doomed :'(
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2011
    this always gives people perspective:
    <a href="http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=Mobility+Radeon+HD+4570" target="_blank">http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lo...+Radeon+HD+4570</a>
    (thats on the low end gpu page, you score 286, check out the high end gpu scores, currently top is 3,900)
    <a href="http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html" target="_blank">http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html</a>

laptops, unless you build them yourself (and even then its sub par to desktops) hardly can be considered "good" pc gaming rigs.
    <!--quoteo(post=1880205:date=Oct 17 2011, 03:27 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Oct 17 2011, 03:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880205"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this always gives people perspective:
    <a href="http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=Mobility+Radeon+HD+4570" target="_blank">http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lo...+Radeon+HD+4570</a>
    (thats on the low end gpu page, you score 286, check out the high end gpu scores, currently top is 3,900)
    <a href="http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html" target="_blank">http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html</a>

laptops, unless you build them yourself (and even then its sub par to desktops) hardly can be considered "good" pc gaming rigs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ye ofcourse laptops are more bad for gaming then desktops, but I'm a student that needs a computer the whole time. Travelling, being away from home the whole week etc etc ... Gaming is just a good relaxation for me. I'm unable to buy a desktop only for gaming. I can buy a laptop for gaming+school+everything else you can do with a PC.

Too bad for me I can't run NS2 now, I hope i can do in a few weeks/months when performance gets better. I still need to do like 1 or 2 years more with this laptop before even thinking buying a new one. NS2 would be a good game to hold on for atleast a year, I played HL1 and HL2 mods for YEARS!!! So NS2 would be awsome.

I just know now I need to wait and hope it gets better in a while and hope my pc can run the game/engine wich i think it normally would :)
  • GoPostalManGoPostalMan Join Date: 2010-04-08 Member: 71216Members
    My Laptop specs

Proc: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.32ghz
    Ram: 4gb
    GFX Card: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS 1.0 gb

Game runs on medium, at 1900 res, at 15-22 fps. with the 4 applied settings (bloom and shadows false, etc.) Lowering to awful settings doesn't seem to increase fps. I can run crysis 1 on high at 30fps...(until it starts running hot heh) so i assume it's just fine tuning for the NS2 release that i'll be waiting for.
  • SmaugSmaug Join Date: 2011-05-23 Member: 100283Members
    edited October 2011
    On the topic of frame rate issue, I have realized today that I get very good (in comparison to what I normally get) fps if I successfully join a game through someone on my steamfriends before launching the game, that is to say, if I can join a server without seeing the ns2 menu screen, I can get good fps. If I go to the menu first, then join a server, I'm looking at 10 - 20, but skipping the menu screen nets me a consistent 40fps (even worse when seeing the menu, joining one server then joining another).

The problem is that sometimes my computer fails to connect to a server on its first attempt most of the time (but not always), and what's worse is that when I play clan games, I can't join through steamfriends at all because it's passworded (I type in the password, but it sends me to the NS2 menu without attempting to connect), so in those games I usually drop to 5fps. I have managed to do this a few times now, and the results have been the same.

Might there be some way to turn off all the graphics in the menu screen and just have the menu with a black background? Wishful thinking, but if you don't ask, you don't get, and that might not be a solution anyway!