Gorge Grenade Digestion Ability!

vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">I am Gorge! FEED ME!</div><div align='center'><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Gorge Grenade Digestion Ability</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
<i>Requires an Upgraded Whip > Upgradeable through the Whip</i></div>

Currently, the Gorge has no true role in the current implementation of NS2. Nothing has being discussed through campfire or externally OR even in the design document to pass the idea that their is anything planned. Recently, Matso, released a great new concept for the whip that allows him to reflect GLs back at the Marine shooting it. Video was posted and it gave me a great idea for the Gorge.

The Gorge as a class is meant for one roll, HOLD DOWN MOUSE2. It's structures are easily destroyed and the population of resources are slower than it takes for a solo Marine to whip out his entire games worth of effort. You also get no reward for trying to push with the front line of the swarm and heal team mates at a dangerously close distance. This creates an experience of being "robbed" or "cheated" when playing the Gorge. Which leads me to the possibility of a Gorge Digestion/Devour capability.

Currently the Gorge only uses his belly to slide. He somehow manages to create these "gooey" balls of spit that form into Cysts and Hydras. It makes me think, what else can this stomach do? Why does it glow? What other purposes can this cut little belly harvest? What if the Gorge had the ability to catch Grenades mid air an digest it? I know this is a lot of take in, but hear me out!

If a Gorge had an effective defensive system against Grenade Launcher, he would be able to defend the Kharaa Hives much more effectively as well as defend his structure blockades built through the map. This would obviously be a skill the Alien Commander upgrades and make it's available using personal resources as an upgrade for the Gorge, similar to Bile Bomb.

Let's say a Marine is harassing Crevice where a Gorge has built a series of Hyrdas and Cysts, costing him upwards of a 100 personal res. How does that Gorge protect himself against a projectile that can't be avoided? He has to ask for help in a public server which 9 times out of 10 don't have a proper team work system going. Giving the Gorge the ability to catch those Grenades and digest it for a variety of possible options would enable an experience similar to Sebastian Sam from X-MEN.

One of the possible options is, when digested, will allow the Gorge to then spit out a large ball of "Goo" causing temporary vision distortion for the Marine. Schimmel has created a similar effect for the Lerk that would work very well with this concept (<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqVQcI5L520" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqVQcI5L520</a>). This would provide the Gorge enough time to attack or heal up & defend his defensive line of structures. This option can be develop to be queued up similar to ammo and if the Gorge digests several Grenades, he can later use the "Goo" spit to help disable a forward push by Marines temporary.

I think a fun little concept such as this would help create a more enjoyable experience playing as the Gorge class instead of the hold down MOUSE2 as it is now.

What do you think? :)

Comments

• KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    I don't mind this idea, a high energy frog-tongue like ability to neutralize a nearby grenade.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    But we will may get this soon <a href="http://t.co/MjuOfBtE" target="_blank">http://t.co/MjuOfBtE</a>. But its a funny idea and would fit in the cutness of the gorge (of course with the right sounds).
  • TomDTomD Join Date: 2010-07-31 Member: 73393Members
    Whether it is your idea mentioned here, or the whip deflecting grenades, the gorge does need something!

I like the idea of the whip grenade deflection because at the moment, other than being an upgrade building, the whip seems rather useless. It has such puny range, the marines just stand back at shoot it, or if it is well placed round a corner, shoot grenades at round the corner!

Maybe the whip could catch and devour the grenades like a big sticky tongue, effectively protecting all buildings in its radius. Either totally disabling the grenade, or taking some damage, but less than a normal grenade hit. Maybe when devoured it could provide the gorge with these sticky blobs you mentioned?

I can see the gorge targeting flying grenades being very difficult, unless it is has some sort of auto-aiming help.
  • CannonFodder100CannonFodder100 Join Date: 2011-09-14 Member: 121355Members
    Don't forget bile bomb before you totally denounce the gorge, but I really do like the idea.
  • BamBam!BamBam! Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104527Members
    edited October 2011
    Sounds like it would be incredibly hard to catch grenades given the Gorge's lack of agility and jump. And what if you miss? The Gorge looks dumb enough as it is. Chasing around live grenades isn't going to help. Miss one by a fraction and you're dead, whereas if you suck and massively miss then you might survive - illogical.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    It's not bad, but if we're to give the gorge a bigger role I'd prefer the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114617" target="_blank">mini-chambers idea</a>.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    edited October 2011

Eating grenades sounds lame and odd.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    If whips can repel grenades, do not implement this idea.
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1879750:date=Oct 13 2011, 03:26 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Oct 13 2011, 03:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879750"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><div align='center'><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Gorge Grenade Digestion Ability</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    <i>Requires an Upgraded Whip > Upgradeable through the Whip</i></div>

Currently, the Gorge has no true role in the current implementation of NS2. Nothing has being discussed through campfire or externally OR even in the design document to pass the idea that their is anything planned. Recently, Matso, released a great new concept for the whip that allows him to reflect GLs back at the Marine shooting it. Video was posted and it gave me a great idea for the Gorge.

The Gorge as a class is meant for one roll, HOLD DOWN MOUSE2. It's structures are easily destroyed and the population of resources are slower than it takes for a solo Marine to whip out his entire games worth of effort. You also get no reward for trying to push with the front line of the swarm and heal team mates at a dangerously close distance. This creates an experience of being "robbed" or "cheated" when playing the Gorge. Which leads me to the possibility of a Gorge Digestion/Devour capability.

Currently the Gorge only uses his belly to slide. He somehow manages to create these "gooey" balls of spit that form into Cysts and Hydras. It makes me think, what else can this stomach do? Why does it glow? What other purposes can this cut little belly harvest? What if the Gorge had the ability to catch Grenades mid air an digest it? I know this is a lot of take in, but hear me out!

If a Gorge had an effective defensive system against Grenade Launcher, he would be able to defend the Kharaa Hives much more effectively as well as defend his structure blockades built through the map. This would obviously be a skill the Alien Commander upgrades and make it's available using personal resources as an upgrade for the Gorge, similar to Bile Bomb.

Let's say a Marine is harassing Crevice where a Gorge has built a series of Hyrdas and Cysts, costing him upwards of a 100 personal res. How does that Gorge protect himself against a projectile that can't be avoided? He has to ask for help in a public server which 9 times out of 10 don't have a proper team work system going. Giving the Gorge the ability to catch those Grenades and digest it for a variety of possible options would enable an experience similar to Sebastian Sam from X-MEN.

One of the possible options is, when digested, will allow the Gorge to then spit out a large ball of "Goo" causing temporary vision distortion for the Marine. Schimmel has created a similar effect for the Lerk that would work very well with this concept (<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqVQcI5L520" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqVQcI5L520</a>). This would provide the Gorge enough time to attack or heal up & defend his defensive line of structures. This option can be develop to be queued up similar to ammo and if the Gorge digests several Grenades, he can later use the "Goo" spit to help disable a forward push by Marines temporary.

I think a fun little concept such as this would help create a more enjoyable experience playing as the Gorge class instead of the hold down MOUSE2 as it is now.

What do you think? :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    haha +1 simple for the line about what else can a gorge's glowing belly produce. LOL