Babblers Nest

BamBam!BamBam! Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104527Members
Just throwing it out there.....Babbler nests as a defensive building for aliens. Damage it or get too close and it will release a few Babblers that chase after you. Is that mental? I don't know...

I was was thinking why is it that marine's defences work so well and Alien's don't. I figured that sentries play to the marine's strength - Range.
Whereas the alien's defences don't really play to the alien's strengths - movement and close range. So why not give the aliens a melee defence building that can close the distance with its enemy?

Static defences are meant to slow you down right? giving the enemy some time to respond and not completely prevent groups of units from passing. Well this ticks that box. Marines can't just run past them like hydras because they'll die if they do. They will have to fight them off giving the aliens a few seconds to respond.

Also a lone marine shouldn't be able to destroy a whole defensive position by himself, yet currently he can. With this idea a lone marine would likely be overwhelmed by their numbers (2-3 Babblers per release?) Yet a group could easily handle them.
I think it would make static defences more fun to fight against, taking on a handful of fast and nimble little aliens beats shooting a motionless tower.

Also they would prevent marines harassing from around a corner because the Babblers could close them down.

For the end game, if you've managed to build infestation to within range of the marine base then having a few Babblers help finish the marines off is your reward.

I imagine it would have to have some heavy spam restrictions. Maybe one nest per hive?

Comments

• HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    I like the idea.

The idea should also be extended include umbra. When nearby players are shot at, the craig should automatically release umbra to help protect them from bullets. It would also help reduce some of the micromanaging done by commanders and allow them to concentrate on the players themselves more.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    But arent crags already getting babblers? I Always like new chambers (specially defensive ones), but this sounds repetitive.
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    i dunno, aliens aren't really meant to be defensive. If they get on the defensive then they need to either get back to attacking or die. That's the strength of the Kharaa. they attack and if they stop attacking and the tide turns they should be losing. but i understand what your saying how it is annoying if a marine is in AS and you have to come back to kill them versus marines already have defenses to prevent it.