Gorge sticky feet

KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
edited October 2011 in Modding
<div class="IPBDescription">Slowed down version of skulk wall climb</div>We've thought about a gorge ability to shoot it's cysts/hydras, what if instead of that, gorge had wall climb like skulk, but a slowed down version, (think walking through wet deep mud), that has a slight disengage cool down, maybe half a second.

Using it would be risky, but at the same time, better cyst/hydra placement would be worth it.

This is not to say I think sticky feet should be in the game or not, but just to see where the idea may go. Roof cyst chains anyone? :P

Comments

• konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    Curious to how structures on the ceiling would act to the commander view. Wouldn't they just stop the commander seeing and acting upon dropping things such as ammo to the area below?
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Why would you want cysts in the ceiling? You still need to get it down on the ground in order for the comm to place structures, so the only gain would be to place hydras - which would get very unbalanced due to the fact that nades will have a hard time hitting them and the abundance of space would make it possible to spread the hydras far apart, further defending them from nades.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    It's certainly far too easy to wipe out hydras right now anyways. Though Whips might be negating this problem somewhat with deflection I never felt it should be the reason they're useful (though nothing else they're designed to do right now seems like it will be). Getting hydras off the ground only somewhat helps from what testing of that I've gotten in, it's hardly impossible to still kill them, personally it felt like a sweet spot at the time for hydra usefulness in the late game.

Though I still prefer the gorge stays ground-bound with ranged structure placement. They just don't look the part at all hanging from the ceiling.
  • XerondXerond Undefined Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29817Members, Constellation
    edited October 2011
    I think the idea is definitely interesting enough to employ, anything to make the class a bit more interesting than it is. As it is now all you do is, spam cysts, spam hydras, and spam heal. About it. Least now hydra placements will be more interesting and with the gorge would be required to cyst those ceiling placements... places the alien comm cannot do.

Since the gorge would be in a slow walking state, if the gorge is caught it could easily be shot down.

About the only strategic fun you can have with hydras is finding great placements.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1882428:date=Oct 27 2011, 10:58 PM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Oct 27 2011, 10:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882428"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Curious to how structures on the ceiling would act to the commander view. Wouldn't they just stop the commander seeing and acting upon dropping things such as ammo to the area below?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good point. Possibly if a model is rotated enough from the normal XYZ orientation coordanites (aka upside down) and/or located a certain height above the floor (maybe a MAC/Drifter's height plus a bit), it should display to commanders as a partly transparent and not interfere with med/ammo packs or structure placement.

I agree that this, or some similar method, would be a great way too improve the fun of being a gorge. Currently, the only way to make hydras effective is good placement. Adding a way to wall walk would be amazingly beneficial to clever gorges.

That said, this concept is just plain hilarious (looking). A skulk looks good on a wall because its body is close to the wall. A gorge on the other hand, well, I don't think superglue feet would cut it.

Unless maybe that big glowing belly could play a role.

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=sbukr6du5p6o4tu&thumb=4" target="_blank">http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?qui...4tu&thumb=4</a>
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    Make him use the belly slide animation when wall walking ;)
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Lets revist this guys, how do you feel now that cysts are able to be placed on ceilings and such?
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it would definitely increase gorge's survivability if he could go up into vents and such easier. It's a tradeoff I'm willing to take in "shooting cysts and hydras"' place.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Maybe like sprint, Gorge would have some kind of hidden stamina bar that drains when you climb, and you would fall back down when the bar is empty (because of your chubbiness!)
  • EstevooEstevoo Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 138993Members
    Yes, and Skull can gestate in the ceiling when its gestates to lerk!