Player Models causing drop in fps

SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh!Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
edited November 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
yes, yes. I know the game is not optimized. However, most talk I've been hearing about is the Occlusion system causing most of the fps drops.

This seems to be partially true. Running around the map in certain I do tend to get fps drops. Usually though I hold steady at around 60 fps or so.

With both bases clean, turning on cheats ( no turrets or nothing ) and adding bots to the server ( for both teams ) thats when my fps drops down into the 20's. I also tried only adding bots to the opposite team, not having any on my team and i get the same affect. My fps drops again, down into the 20's while at a clean marine start, with the bots still stuck in their corners at alien start.

So I guess the question is. What does the Occlusion system have to do with "player models" that seem to be affecting a larger portion of the fps drops?

Comments

• KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    edited November 2011
    <!--coloro:#aadd00--><span style="color:#aadd00"><!--/coloro--> I suppose besides the rendering of the models, the bots just existing on your listen server takes extra CPU cycles. But it's probably minor unless the unscripted bots are more inefficient than I thought. So you may have a point, though the testing sounds incomplete for now.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Try it on a server with players, bots mostly kill my machine in any case, they think to much :P
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh&#33; Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    edited November 2011
    On a empty public server and on a full 16 slot server it's the same scenario. It seems like it's player models affecting fps drops.

Ran to an empty room on summit, with 16 slot full server, frame rate still took a huge nosedive. On an empty server, fps is mostly stable besides certain portions of the map where you'll get the fps drops/spikes.

It seems like somehow player models are affecting the fps as well. Just from the looks of it, to me anyways. ;x

On a side note, i think it's something the dev team should look into at least. Unless player models are also a part of the occulsion system as well.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1883555:date=Nov 3 2011, 03:23 PM:name=SloppyKisses)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SloppyKisses @ Nov 3 2011, 03:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With both bases clean, turning on cheats ( no turrets or nothing ) and adding bots to the server ( for both teams ) thats when my fps drops down into the 20's. I also tried only adding bots to the opposite team, not having any on my team and i get the same affect. My fps drops again, down into the 20's while at a clean marine start, with the bots still stuck in their corners at alien start.

So I guess the question is. What does the Occlusion system have to do with "player models" that seem to be affecting a larger portion of the fps drops?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's a lot more going on in the game than just rendering. You can check this by opening the profiler in the engine (type "profiler" at the console). The bars along the top show you how much time is being spent doing various things. I imagine in the scenario you're describing you'll see a lot of time spent in the Game and Physics portions of the code.
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh&#33; Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    edited November 2011
    Is this something that has yet to be optimized as well or being worked on?

in a game with 5 people the "game" percentage varies from around 40-60%
    Where as, being in a empty server the game percentage is nearly 0%

The rendering also starts to creep up in percentage as well with the more people connecting to the server.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1883580:date=Nov 3 2011, 04:36 PM:name=SloppyKisses)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SloppyKisses @ Nov 3 2011, 04:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is this something that has yet to be optimized as well or being worked on?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We're going to be working on optimizing things all the way through the release.
    Awesome :3

and thanks for the profile thing. It shows some interesting numbers :3
    edited November 2011
    This is what I get on an empty server.

<a href="http://i.imgur.com/YIJ64.png" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/YIJ64.png</a>

<a href="http://i.imgur.com/26faS.png" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/26faS.png</a>
    ---------------------
    The values, on a server with current players 14 I think and running around the map with that open, it doesnt seem to change much. Maybe besides a % or two while running around the map, meeting a marine head on too.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2011
    Why should it? If something suddently would take A LOT more time - it would be bad. (i guess :X)
    Very true. I'm just trying to find the root of the problem with framerates dropping x2 when in a server with others ( When they are clear across the map )
    I was hoping what max had shown me would possibly verify this, but apparently not. :V
    Are you talking about running a listen server or being connected to someone else's server?