Ability: Temporarily power a structure

BalderonBalderon Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75215Members, Reinforced - Shadow
There's a chance that this idea has already been posted before, if so then feel free to remove this topic.

Maybe I'm the only one missing the part of NS1 when a marine or two managed to sneak into a hive and build a phase gate (and later kill the hive). With the new system in NS2 it feels like it is almost impossible to do.

So I thought of an ability for the commander. The ability would let the commander power up a selected building at any position on the entire map for a short period. This would allow the sneaky phase gate gameplay to work and I wouldn't be surprised to see other uses for it too (emergency powering essential buildings?).

Comments

• KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Yeah, I've done builds where I snuck a power pack + phasegate/observatory into hive locations that have worked amazingly well.

Problem with game breaking changes, is that they are only game breaking if you have a strong understanding of the entire game, which not many currently do.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I guess they want it so people secure territory outside the base and move in with force, instead of having people flood their base from the inside.

You could still build a node and phase in there, it just would be really hard to not be noticed. And would most likely have to coincide with an assault of said base.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    I really think power packs should be brought back in a new way.

Power packs are dropped by the comm attached to a specific structure.
    They need to be activated (built) by a player, probably a shorter build time than before
    They have a finite life, 30-60-90 seconds?
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1886947:date=Nov 25 2011, 05:14 PM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Nov 25 2011, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886947"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really think power packs should be brought back in a new way.

Power packs are dropped by the comm attached to a specific structure.
    They need to be activated (built) by a player, probably a shorter build time than before
    They have a finite life, 30-60-90 seconds?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Power packs = batteries? I actually think that's a great idea! They only have so much juice, and only start draining when main power is down. When dropped, you can set which structure(s) will be powered by them, and the drain scales accordingly. (This can be done by having a new commander binary menu option for each structure within range. A lightning bolt icon, or maybe a car battery with a - and + sign in it.)

Also having them charge back up if power is restored would be an interesting option as well.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1886950:date=Nov 25 2011, 05:32 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Nov 25 2011, 05:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886950"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Power packs = batteries? I actually think that's a great idea! They only have so much juice, and only start draining when main power is down. When dropped, you can set which structure(s) will be powered by them, and the drain scales accordingly. (This can be done by having a new commander binary menu option for each structure within range. A lightning bolt icon, or maybe a car battery with a - and + sign in it.)

Also having them charge back up if power is restored would be an interesting option as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was thinking more like each structure getting a spot to stick the power point/battery into. Sort of like a drill battery (powerpack) connecting to a charger mounted on the structure somewhere. Having the comm control the connections is tricky but possible.
    <!--quoteo(post=1886959:date=Nov 25 2011, 05:56 PM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Nov 25 2011, 05:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was thinking more like each structure getting a spot to stick the power point/battery into. Sort of like a drill battery (powerpack) connecting to a charger mounted on the structure somewhere. Having the comm control the connections is tricky but possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I made this <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=114670" target="_blank">suggestion</a> a while ago, I've also developed pseudo could for a recursive method to procedurally generate cables over/through any terrain from the power pack to structures dynamically in real time.

Ironically in my original thread I thought the battery idea was bad as I've just noticed.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Hey original poster: this thread, and all it's replies inspired me to rewrite my old power node idea. So I did. Check it out. I think it sort of incorporates your idea in... without allowing for exploitation.