NS2.EXE virus?

douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
edited January 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">say whaaat?</div>I started ns2, and couldn't find any servers. after exiting it AVG picked it up as a virus. Anyone have any idea what's going on? It won't update to 192 either. verifying game cache doesn't do anything.

I'm sure the obvious move is delete local content and try again, but before that, any ideas?

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    More information might be nice, such as what AVG reported about it and what virus profile it tagged it as.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    it just said Unknown for everything. I'm sure AVG is giving it as a false positive. the question at hand is why won't steam update my installation.

I backed up the folder then tried to reinstall it, but it's saying this game isn't available on steam content servers.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
    False positive, no idea why Steam won't download... Try setting your download location to the Netherlands, seemed to help for a lot of none Dutchies...
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Did you delete the existing folder once you backed everything up? That's what I do to reinstall.
  • GohanZetaGohanZeta Join Date: 2010-11-18 Member: 74996Members, NS2 Playtester
    I had a quite similar Issue, NS2 wasnt launching at due to Steam Error.

You have to manually delete your NS2 folder in SteamApps > Common as well as the natural selection 2 content.ncf file in you SteamApps folder. After that verifying the game data NS2 should re-download and can be started properly afterwards.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I deleted the existing folder. there was no .ncf file where all the other ones were. still won't install. Also deleted the ns2 folder in %APPDATA%
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    Try disabling AVG. Reinstalling. Enabling and see what happens.

So far my AVG says nothing.
    No dice. I even tried running in safe mode and installing it there, but I got the same results, an error saying:
    "No Steam content servers are currently configured to deliver content for this game. This will be corrected soon. Please try again in a few minutes."

I've tried a dozen different download regions with no luck.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Try getting rid of AVG. That Antivirus give so many false positives it's unreal. Switch to Microsoft's Security Essentials.
  • GodofThunderGodofThunder Join Date: 2011-12-13 Member: 137815Members
    I have a similar problem. Went right into NS2 to play and found there were no servers. Came here to find out what happened and saw that 192 is released. I tried making steam update NS2 but it says there is nothing to update. It just refuses to update and doesnt do anything. Anyone else getting this?
  • GodofThunderGodofThunder Join Date: 2011-12-13 Member: 137815Members
    Though I have MSE, not AVG, and I just realized now its suddenly turned off and wont turn on????? Steam still not updating, in fact now I cant update anything now. Ill see what scan brings up. I have win7 64bit.
  • NixxenNixxen Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26401Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1895978:date=Jan 20 2012, 02:25 AM:name=6john)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6john @ Jan 20 2012, 02:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No dice. I even tried running in safe mode and installing it there, but I got the same results, an error saying:
    "No Steam content servers are currently configured to deliver content for this game. This will be corrected soon. Please try again in a few minutes."

I've tried a dozen different download regions with no luck.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think there is a global problem with the steam content servers atm.
    Or they are just blocking certain countries for whichever reason.
    Haven't been able to install anything for the past days since nothing is available, but I have been able to play games that were already installed.
    I got it to work. It had nothing to do with AVG and everything to do with steam.

I deleted local content, then ran a *different* game, which I guess forced something to sync up correctly with steam, then I could install ns2.

As for forcing an update, that's pretty much exactly what my problem initially was. You could try verifying game integrity, or delete and reinstall.