What does UWE plan to do after ns2?

bobthesobbobthesob Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137195Members
<div class="IPBDescription">just wondering</div>tbh i don't really like ns2 its just not my thing. But i really like your company and the tech that you guys have made. I also like the idea of a fps rts game.. its just ns2 just is meh to me its cool but the animal vs human sic fi thing is just really not my thing. So really I'm making this post to ask what you guys plan to do after u release ns2. I mean as a small company i would think that you would need to get started on another title pretty quick. So yeah i would like a open world fps rts with 64 man servers and the theme to be modern warfare. thats just me maybe but i enjoy modern warfare game. But i don't like the cod ones tho. I would really like to see the spark engine render a large open world. The lighting would be insane. I also really hope that for the next game after ns2 is released you could add dx11 support. So any ideas on what UWE will be doing after ns2? Or better yet what would other people like to see?

Comments

• croncron Join Date: 2010-06-21 Member: 72122Members
    The spark engine was not build to render open worlds, there isn't even a terrain tool or anything like it. It is centered around tools for hand build geometry and indoor environments.
    And when you take into account that what brought these guys together is their liking for sci fi scenarios I highly doubt that their next project will have anything to do with modern warfare.
  • bobthesobbobthesob Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137195Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899581:date=Feb 4 2012, 06:59 AM:name=cron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cron @ Feb 4 2012, 06:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899581"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The spark engine was not build to render open worlds, there isn't even a terrain tool or anything like it. It is centered around tools for hand build geometry and indoor environments.
    And when you take into account that what brought these guys together is their liking for sci fi scenarios I highly doubt that their next project will have anything to do with modern warfare.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm sure they could make it work on open terrain. And i think it would be very hard to make another sic fi shooter after ns2. I mean they would have to really work on something unique and that takes time. Something i don't think they would really have. But i would still love to see how spark would look in a open world modern warfare fps rts game. With dx11 of coors.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited February 2012
    After NS2 I assume they will want to make money. I think, although to us the end result is NS2, UWE will be able to successfully sell Spark to various game developers. I messed around a little bit in the map editor and it was out of this world cool. I really hope they can generate some income based on the back end tools that we don't see. Flayra and Max seem like pretty smart guys and I think they're doing everything they can to stay a float, but don't forget, they're a new company releasing their first game. Making money is a pretty big deal.

Hopefully they can make NS2 as solid as it can be, sell however many copies they need to be a success, and then move on from there. I'd imagine 'moving on' would include a nice break from what I'm sure are just insane hours right now and a transition into supporting and improving NS2. I don't think a NS3 is coming up anytime soon although I could see a moderately priced expansion pack somewhere down the line.

Either way, I'm sure they're so focused on NS2 they probably don't even know. And that's not a bad thing.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1899581:date=Feb 4 2012, 07:59 AM:name=cron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cron @ Feb 4 2012, 07:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899581"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The spark engine was not build to render open worlds, there isn't even a terrain tool or anything like it. It is centered around tools for hand build geometry and indoor environments.
    And when you take into account that what brought these guys together is their liking for sci fi scenarios I highly doubt that their next project will have anything to do with modern warfare.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually if I recall it was the opposite, didn't they say they designed the engine to be able to handle open environments so it would be licensable to other developers?
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    .. after NS2 (v1.0) ... there will be NS2 (ver 1.1)
    then NS2 for MAC, .. NS2 for XBox or PS, whatever console comes inbetween

.. from longer perspective? of course NS2 expansion pack (more maps, new structures, ...)

that's my guessing of UWE's work for net 2-3years..
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    My guess is a drunken bender to celebrate NS2 completion. At least, that's what I would do :)
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's obvious.

After the astonishing success of the Natural Selection Trademark the Dev's will move on to make interactive games that will define the very future of the gaming industry, hell generations will to come will talk about the People who made Earth so much better. The "unite the world through play" slogan will be in every mouth living in the 21st century.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Actually, I think the next thing the Devs will make after NS2 is an AwesomeSauce Sandwich :)
  • croncron Join Date: 2010-06-21 Member: 72122Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899622:date=Feb 4 2012, 05:07 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Feb 4 2012, 05:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899622"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually if I recall it was the opposite, didn't they say they designed the engine to be able to handle open environments so it would be licensable to other developers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I heard exactly the opposite: That they didn't intend to sell the Spark engine at all.
    But I might just have misread, don't quote me on anything.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Why wouldn't they want to license the engine to other developers?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Small developers are gonnah love this engine as it is so easy and very fast to get and test results. Requires more stability though!
  • PicklesnipePicklesnipe Join Date: 2012-02-03 Member: 143406Members
    PS3 & Xbox 360 versions.

Downloadable content.

You heard it here first.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i need hats for my gorge. that is all.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    i want a dx11 version first! :>

But im pretty sure they will focus on xbox360, mac and maybe linux first, because <b>sales </b>- dx11 for pc wont really bring much more sales, if any at all. (so its not really interesting for uwe to waste time on this - even though their primary market is pc - what a shame)