Make it open beta already.

cindowsxpcindowsxp Join Date: 2012-02-22 Member: 147109Members
So it has been a good year since i have even cared to check the site since my buddy told me that pre-release is avail. I used to play this game non stop but not for the last 4-5 years. I ponder what it would be like now a-days and i download the original. Play it and pray for an update. Isn't it seriously time you make this an open beta? I've followed you guys long enough in faith, but how much longer I can't say. I think this tank of gas is running dry on following any more and coming up with excuses why it isn't out. I mean look at any other company producing games. They tend to not be ready at launch. Either way, not meant for flames. Just an old flame looking for a spark.

Comments

• LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited February 2012
    Did you really just post this?
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
    The Team is running on fumes. They have been, for awhile.

The only way they get any money is donations, and the random person buying Beta. They can't afford to. As for other companies...the smallest companies I know of have at least 8-16-30 people.

UNknown Worlds has 4. They are also making an ENTIRE ENGINE, rather than just use Source of Unreal Tournament 3 like 90% of companies do. Sure, it might have been far more beneficial if they had stuck with Source, released it first, gained a ton of money, maybe some new employees, THEN made Spark...but hey...they took the riskiest bet, and they hope for a high pay-off.

And I can't say why it not being an Open Beta would make you lose faith. I don't even know why a game like -this- would have a Open BEta. Surely for feedback, but there's already so much feedback and the game is changing constantly, they can't keep up.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Still months ahead until alleged Summer release, open beta might or might not (<- likely) come by. You pay, you play~
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    OMG... how old are you?
    Sure, I want to play ALL THE GAMES without paying too.
    Yeah I even want to get my food without paying and my new pc.
    *facepalm*
    What is up with the youth today? Everyone wants everything, but no one wants to pay for the work. Is it really so difficult to understand, that others have to pay for their food too?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1905783:date=Feb 22 2012, 09:28 AM:name=Mkilbride)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mkilbride @ Feb 22 2012, 09:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905783"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Team is running on fumes. They have been, for awhile.

The only way they get any money is donations, and the random person buying Beta. They can't afford to<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Interesting to see you have complete insight into UWE's financial situation...

@OP, what exactly do you mean with open beta. Getting the beta for free to play the beta? In a way NS2 is already in an open beta for pre-oders and I'd rather have money go to the devs with people actually interested in the game (pre-ordering it). Then some random free open beta people that will most likely think "meh", due to optimisations still to be done (even if it is already playable). Comparing it to final betas from other games, and not be seen from or heard from again (feedback and playing)
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    @OP

I say no to the open beta. Want in? Support the devs and buy in. I bought in well before I could even attempt to run the game. I feel ya when you talk about good ole NS1 and that flame that needs a spark. Well, its time for you to be that spark. Join us, support the devs and you will see that old flame turn into a roaring fire. These guys are producing an entire game and engine on what amounts to a skeleton crew compared to other developers.

If its a matter of money, that's up to you. If money is really tight and you still have the time and want to play, try skipping out on some luxuries like soda and snacks. You'll have the money in a few weeks.

If money is tighter than that, well, why are you playing games? You really should be looking into ways to help yourself get in a better financial situation.

Since I had the balls to talk to you about money, I'll at least own up to who I am. I am a college student. I am receiving a lot of financial support from my parents. They cover my major expenses (school, living, food). I work on the weekends for my own spending/saving money.

Not sure why I responded to you in this manner. It's not meant to be aggressive or ######ish. I just don't like the something for nothing attitude I see around me much of the time. Hell, I've had it for years and only now have I realized it and been trying to improve myself. Maybe this post has less to do with you and more to do with me.

Take from it what you will.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bought in well before I could even attempt to run the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    same here. i knew i'd buy it either way so... why not support them early on.

as for release-date:
    leaving the fact aside that the gorilla-trailer announces a release for summer this year, why should they rush it so much? look at blizzard: they take a ridicolous amount of time to finish one of their games ("it's done when it's done") while already improving the unfinished game with feedback from beta-players which still allows them to do some drastic changes before it is too late. you have to admit: they always end up with high-quality games.
    and the the moment a game is released is critical as it will get most attention at that point: the better the game is by then, the more people will recommend it to friends etc.
    we waited years for this to come to an end, a few more months don't matter. if you cannot wait (like me), then pre-order and play right away!
  • ChaosNLChaosNL Join Date: 2011-07-31 Member: 113237Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1906022:date=Feb 22 2012, 11:41 PM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Feb 22 2012, 11:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906022"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bought in well before I could even attempt to run the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

I pre-ordered this game as fast as i could knowing i was gonna love it no matter what. I also knew i wasnt gonna be playing it anytime soon when i pre-ordered since my pc just couldn't run it. I could play since alpha but started somewhere in Beta and i've loved every minute that i spent in this game.
    I'm convinced UWE is doing the best they can right now (and then some) to bring us the game on time, if they fail i'll wait some more. You shouldn't be forcing any game developer to publish their game, force them to work their butts off for the community by pre-ordering and showing support.
    Don't just wanna get everything for free.
This discussion has been closed.