Video recording

Bobo44Bobo44 Join Date: 2011-11-02 Member: 130749Members
is there any ingame video recording option?
if no ingame video recording option, is there any third party video recording option that doesn't hurt frames while recording?

thanks.

Comments

• DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    "doesn't hurt frames"?
    So, you want your computer do more work without having to do more work? Brilliant concept.
    <i>edit: Sorry if that came off as hostile, I'm just in a bit of a sarcastic mood right now :P</i>

Most video recording software designed for games are not free, demo versions have limitations like 30sec max continuous recording time or watermarks.
    Fraps is the most prominent program, dxtory is a good and a bit more versatile alternative, though also a bit harder to use. Gregion is a freeware alternative, I don't know how good it is.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Bandicam could be added to that list as well. But it encodes in real time so it needs a bunch of CPU cycles, something that NS2 kinda needs more right now...
  • BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908304:date=Mar 1 2012, 12:28 AM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Mar 1 2012, 12:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908304"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"doesn't hurt frames"?
    So, you want your computer do more work without having to do more work? Brilliant concept.
    <i>edit: Sorry if that came off as hostile, I'm just in a bit of a sarcastic mood right now :P</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.
    Your computer can't magically access more proccessing power that it doesn't have.

Also, I use fraps, as do many.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    There is no ingame recording software and most people use fraps. Although i hear player is working on an ingame recorder! :o

With fraps, you choose at what fps you wish to record at and this acts as an fps limiter ingame. If uploading to youtube, theres not much point recording higher than 30 fps i believe unless you want smoother gameplay and responsiveness while recording. Personally, i find recording at 50 fps is good enough.
    Why i bring up recording framerates is because i believe HDD bandwidth is more of a bottleneck than the CPU (which is what is bottlenecking NS2) so that what fps you choose to record at will have the biggest impact on how much your framerates suffer. Could be wrong, but i think fraps doesn't add much cpu load at all as the recording is very much lossless.
  • Bobo44Bobo44 Join Date: 2011-11-02 Member: 130749Members
    the 4850 already suffers from low frames. so i guess i need the best one that hurts the frames at the least compared to others.

probably will have to wait for the video card releases in march/april before i start making videos.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited February 2012
    Zero CPU impact recording CAN be done, but it requires a second PC:
    Connect a splitter to your gaming PC's video output port.
    Run one side to your regular monitor.
    Run the other side to the input port of a digital video recorder card on 2nd pc (like Hauppauge Colossus).
    Start your game on one PC and start recording from input on the other.

This is of course a bit more expensive (minimum $350 PC + $150 recorder card) than recording on your own but is by far the best way to record. Besides freeing up valuable CPU clicks, it also makes sure that any post-processing done on your gaming PC's video card is recorded (which sometimes does not get captured by FRAPS).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    DXtory for instance has an option to select multiple HDD's to stream the content to, but because this is a... Software multiple HDD emulation process I'm guessing it eats up a bit more CPU cycles.

The best thing you can do is probably record to a second HDD (one that doesn't have NS2 on it)
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited February 2012
    I personally use fraps. Full version.

There are probably better options though.