Lerks picking up weapons

BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
I'm sorry if someone else already brought this up, but I think it would be a cool feature if lerks could pick up the weapons of dead marines and drop them somewhere else. Flying with a weapon in your claws would of course slow you down a little bit, so you can't fly into a bunch of marines and steal their weapons all the time.

You could combine this with the idea of Kiai:

<!--quoteo(post=1908587:date=Mar 1 2012, 06:47 AM:name=Kiai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kiai @ Mar 1 2012, 06:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908587"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would be cool if the Lerk could pick up the acid ball from the whip and drop it like a bomb on marines/buildings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=116736&view=findpost&p=1908587" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1908587</a>

I think this would be the best solution for bile bomb. Also it would buff whips.

Comments

• YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    It's a really cool idea. Also when a weapon is picked it would have more time before it disappear, so that marine wants to go after the lerk "give me this weapon back!", could be hilarious.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    You could make your own nest made of guns and start a happy lerk family :).
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Both of those ideas are excellent, +2.

I don't think you should be slowed for carrying the weapons though, you'd already be taking a large risk getting that close and landing even if momentarily. I'd say you shouldn't be able to use your own abilities while carrying anything though, maybe you could be carrying it in your mouth?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I think weapon salvaging would be a neat ability on the Gorge, even though on the Lerk it plays on the idea of "birds like shiny things" :P

Perhaps the Gorge can even convert it to some PRes for himself, the better the weapon, the more PRes he gains.

I like the idea regarding Bombard Bomb. Lerk being able to choose between Bile Bomb and Bombard Bomb sounds cool and fun to play with!
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Like the ideas too. Just have to balance it. Something like:
    <ul><li> increase the time until the weapon disappears to 2 minutes.</li><li> give the weapon something like health (but not too much)</li><li> when an alien destroys a weapon give a little amount of p_res</li></ul>
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    interesting idea(s) and i like them overall. but i'd like to point out that it might be difficult to communicate these concepts to newbies, making the game another bit more complicated. well, it might work by using those included tooltips whenever you kill a marine as lerk/gorge.
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    +1

I Really like the idea. Gives the game more tactical depth!
  • RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Love it +1

should also add acid drop to lerk instead of bile bomb. I love my fatty's ability to use his digestive fluids :(
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    I agree, I think weapons should last longer before they despawn (if they are special, aka not default weapons) and I really like the idea of lerks swooping down and snatching them up, then dropping them someplace else.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    Come on guys. How often do you think a lerk would actually even do this?

As far as the weapon de-spawning goes: increase the time in which they disappear.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1909986:date=Mar 5 2012, 10:00 AM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Mar 5 2012, 10:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909986"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Come on guys. How often do you think a lerk would actually even do this?

As far as the weapon de-spawning goes: increase the time in which they disappear.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the despawn time was raised, quite often. Flamethrowers and grenade launchers are hella expensive.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm all for lerks picking up robotics and dropping them into crevice. Weapons? not so much..
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Do you mean arcs and macs? or the actual robotics factory.

I like the idea of lerks picking up weapons, something about it just sounds like an enjoyable thing to do after getting a kill.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    It would be seriously funny if Lerk can pile weapons up as a little nest, or use it to lure Marines away from a group (Alien: Resurrection scene, anyone?)
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    At the moment you can get your weapon back quite often, especially when there are some other marines around refreshing the despawn timer or you died close to a pg at the front lines. Sometimes this gets really annoying as alien, because the marines tend to not care running into your defense like maniacs, as they don't have much to lose. They just start sprinting to their weapon -> pick it up (resetting the timer) -> try to run back -> die -> repeat.

As alien: you die -> you lose your res.

Being able to deny their guns is just the logical counter in my opinion.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1910207:date=Mar 5 2012, 03:40 PM:name=Bicsum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bicsum @ Mar 5 2012, 03:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At the moment you can get your weapon back quite often, especially when there are some other marines around refreshing the despawn timer or you died close to a pg at the front lines. Sometimes this gets really annoying as alien, because the marines tend to not care running into your defense like maniacs, as they don't have much to lose. They just start sprinting to their weapon -> pick it up (resetting the timer) -> try to run back -> die -> repeat.

As alien: you die -> you lose your res.

Being able to deny their guns is just the logical counter in my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Reduced spawn time + sprint in ns2 has made it allot easier to get the weapon back. Also there are more weapons used in ns2, maybe weapons lingering time should be decreased.