A step in the right direction with fades

XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
<div class="IPBDescription">you have my approval</div>I know this patch is not exactly universally loved but i think the direction the devs have taken with the fade is good.

I like that the fade can no longer strafe in blink. But at the same time Shadow step can be a very dangerous tool if used correctly. It is also a huge help that we can now see where the fade travels while in blink.

After playing about 5 matches ive come to the conclusion that with the fade update they are much easier to kill, but not so easy that they cant still go on a bloody rampage.

What is your guy's thoughts? Do you feel this update has made them Overpowered, Underpowered, or Balanced (not to imply that its 100% perfect)

Comments

• RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Shadow step really needs a cooldown on it, being able to rush across the whole map with it is a bit ridiculous.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it's a step in the right direction for making them more fun to play and to fight, but there's a bit of tuning left yet.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    My problem with 199 fade changes is that it makes playing fade feel loose and unprecise. Fade movement was previously very intuitive and precise. Now it's awkward and reminds me of my old EQ1 mount. I understand maintaining momentum can be helpful for fighting jetpacks, but for 98% of the other things you'll be doing as fade, it sucks.

Balance can be tweaked outside of movement changes. I felt like fades were previously balanced, just an overwhelming majority of marines and comms did not know how to fight them. I do like the new, longer cooldown on swipe coming out of a blink.

The new side stepping I do not like. And I was a UT2k4 player for many years.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i was playing UT only a few months and was actually never a big fan of that double tap mechanic. we are trying now another approach: use shift + movement direciton for shadow step. the ability has now also a soft cooldown. that means when you shadow step within 2 seconds it's effectiveness will be reduced. so you can still perform a shadow step as often as before, but it will be simply less effective in case you spam it
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    It's in it's early stages but momentum and shadowstep are fun additions to the fade. And can add a bit of personal style when it comes to using a fade. Also someone said that strafe and reverse blinks are coming back, which is nice because I enjoyed the free range of movement.
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1909372:date=Mar 2 2012, 11:05 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Mar 2 2012, 11:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909372"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also someone said that stafe and reverse blinks are coming back, which is nice because I enjoyed the free range of movement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really?

Well that is unfortunate, I think its in balance that they cant use 100% precise movement while being invisible and immune to all damage.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    blinking into the air + shadow step lets you travel really far, really fast. it's nice.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I think once shadowstep gets bound to the movement modifier key it will be a lot nicer. But the cooldown on swipe out of blink- while I like it in terms of general balance, makes hitting JPs with a fade pretty difficult in theory.. I have not yet had the chance to duel many JPs with a fade but the video<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=116735&view=findpost&p=1908800" target="_blank"> Yuuki posted</a> seems to illustrate it pretty well. Do people just need to get used to it or is it truly awkward to try and hit a JP? JP's still don't really have an effective counter imo... I guess maybe narrow corridors, but in places like Central Drilling and Crevice etc they are really still very hard to kill.

<!--quoteo(post=1909371:date=Mar 2 2012, 09:01 PM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Mar 2 2012, 09:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909371"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i was playing UT only a few months and was actually never a big fan of that double tap mechanic. we are trying now another approach: use shift + movement direciton for shadow step. the ability has now also a soft cooldown. that means when you shadow step within 2 seconds it's effectiveness will be reduced. so you can still perform a shadow step as often as before, but it will be simply less effective in case you spam it<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And that is awesome to hear (the DR).
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1909371:date=Mar 2 2012, 11:01 PM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Mar 2 2012, 11:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909371"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i was playing UT only a few months and was actually never a big fan of that double tap mechanic. we are trying now another approach: use shift + movement direciton for shadow step. the ability has now also a soft cooldown. that means when you shadow step within 2 seconds it's effectiveness will be reduced. so you can still perform a shadow step as often as before, but it will be simply less effective in case you spam it<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is a good plan, I think. I was actually just sitting here talking with rantology about how awkward the double tap side step is and randomly imagined using it with shift + direction. It will definitely be more controllable that way.

I also feel like the fade keeps a little too much momentum coming out of the blinks, but that may just be some relearning for me.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Now the fade actually takes a little skill to play. Yay!
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Sweet, now we just need a shift key ability for Onos and we're set :P
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1909366:date=Mar 3 2012, 02:51 AM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ Mar 3 2012, 02:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shadow step really needs a cooldown on it, being able to rush across the whole map with it is a bit ridiculous.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds like you never played NS1. Aliens have to be able to traverse the map quickly, the fade most of all.

<!--quoteo(post=1909368:date=Mar 3 2012, 02:53 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Mar 3 2012, 02:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909368"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My problem with 199 fade changes is that it makes playing fade feel loose and unprecise. Fade movement was previously very intuitive and precise. Now it's awkward and reminds me of my old EQ1 mount. I understand maintaining momentum can be helpful for fighting jetpacks, but for 98% of the other things you'll be doing as fade, it sucks.

Balance can be tweaked outside of movement changes. I felt like fades were previously balanced, just an overwhelming majority of marines and comms did not know how to fight them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The momentum for me is great for travel. I hated the old blink because you would run out of energy from one room the the other and have to walk most times. Really lame. It would be like a lerk without glide and having to flap constantly to keep you aloft. The lerk would turn into a skulk that could jump real high lol.

I really loved the ns1 fade. Skills meshed well and properly played you were not only an awesome killing machine but it felt great playing the class, mastering the cohesion of skills with your playstyle. I think the invul blink looks awesome but is terrible for game play. I also hate the "cloak" view but thats another thread. In the future i think more players will get annoyed with it as i am as aneedless immersion element that only looks good on promotional videos.

But eh, i still want NS1:Spark and stil have a hard time of letting go =p
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1909382:date=Mar 3 2012, 05:58 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Mar 3 2012, 05:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909382"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think once shadowstep gets bound to the movement modifier key it will be a lot nicer. But the cooldown on swipe out of blink- while I like it in terms of general balance, makes hitting JPs with a fade pretty difficult in theory.. I have not yet had the chance to duel many JPs with a fade but the video<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=116735&view=findpost&p=1908800" target="_blank"> Yuuki posted</a> seems to illustrate it pretty well. Do people just need to get used to it or is it truly awkward to try and hit a JP? JP's still don't really have an effective counter imo... I guess maybe narrow corridors, but in places like Central Drilling and Crevice etc they are really still very hard to kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm used to play with the fade mod which has almost no delays, so I might be biased, but I found very hard to hit jetpacks. Delays should be removed anyway, simply because they feel bad. There is other ways to balance the fade, for example the energy cost, it's 50 in vanilla and 250 in the fade mod.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1909435:date=Mar 3 2012, 12:38 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Mar 3 2012, 12:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909435"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm used to play with the fade mod which has almost no delays, so I might be biased, but I found very hard to hit jetpacks. Delays should be removed anyway, simply because they feel bad. There is other ways to balance the fade, for example the energy cost, it's 50 in vanilla and 250 in the fade mod.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The drain is calculated very differently from the fade mod to the vanilla fade.
    Those two numbers can't really be related anymore because of that.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Maybe delay out of shadowstep but not reg blink? After all blink already costs plenty of energy. Also this is certainly a step in the right direction!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2012
    Also, yuuki, i have to disagree with you - or rather i agree with you, but have to point out that the number one complaint i've seen around the forums regarding the fade is his unfair ability to get a free swipe in every time.. its far less than the reaction time of any marine, typically. thats not to say they can't be killed, or that you can't shoot them coming out of blink. its just saying that a fade blinks into a room just behind a marine, unblinks, swipes, blinks and exits the room. its not very fun for the marine when he isn't given a chance.

some workarounds to solve the issue:

<ul><li>greater momentum such as in your mod allows the fade to be visible for longer periods of time out of blink, allowing the marine a chance to fight.
    this greater momentum also makes sneaky, subtle, positioning behind a marine more difficult, and allows you get JPers that much easier.
    </li><li><b>have a very obvious and loud "blinking travel sound" for an audio cue of general detection</b> instead of the "poof" out of blink which usually means <i>you are too late! </i>(think of the trade off with the skulk's leap, you can hear it coming.)</li></ul>

if you implement these then there is no need for a frustrating delay.
  • WindexWindex Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72835Members
    I think the fade will be OK when there are better ways for the marines to deal with them. I feel like in your average game, marines tend to not have a suitable way to deal with fades when the are introduced. I feel like this also causes a downward spiral for the rest of the game in general, as it forces marines to push way back, and eventually onos are inevitable at that point which is usually GG.

At this point though, the overall balance of the fade may benefit from an increased energy cost. Allowing the user to decide, should I blink for initiation, or save it for an escape. As it stands a fade can 2 shot a marine, and stands to live against a quick hit and run vs 4 marines.

Add carapace and regen to the mix and you have an unstoppable killing machine.

Overall I love the way the fade plays and feels, but as a regular Kharaa player I feel like marines don't have much they can do at this point if fades are gotten early.

It can be said that if marines are properly played they can prevent this from happening, etc etc. But with skulk mobility its too easy as kharaa to prevent a marine advance, especially if the game is not quite as populated, for example 5v5.

Marines don't become mobile until JP's and phase, which I feel are relatively expensive to acquire in the amount of time it takes for fades to be produced.

This is all very situational, and the same can be said if marines push quickly, and prevent an alien advance. But on the overall as an alien player I feel that we generally have the advantage.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The reason why Fade die fast now, is because it is a completly new movement, and needs to be mastered (again). The new movement has some hardcore bugs if you use Shadowstep, blink and switch weapons, it is posiible that you get stuck, got a delay in movement or just can't blink before you switch weapons.

It happens so often for me, maybe it's because the way I play, that I almost stopped playing it. But when I play him it's nice to use shadowstep to gain momentum for speedblinks (great movement/atack delay chance), and his general new speed in higher rooms.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1909538:date=Mar 3 2012, 01:22 PM:name=Windex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Windex @ Mar 3 2012, 01:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909538"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Overall I love the way the fade plays and feels, but as a regular Kharaa player I feel like marines don't have much they can do at this point if fades are gotten early.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dare I say this again (I know it's been brought up a million times), but when they fix performance issues and people are trying to hit the fade with 40+ FPS instead of 10-20 I think they will be going down a lot more often as well. Marines are so much more deadly when they can actually aim :P