Are Chambers ingame yet?

XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
<div class="IPBDescription">(my NS1 memory is for ######)</div>I know currently our upgrades come from

-Shells
-Whips
-Veils

Are these considered chambers or have they yet to be implemented?

Comments

• Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    who said its gonna be exactly like ns1?
    they split it up into crag+shell, shade+veil wheras the whip is not associated with a hive-type.
    they will implement something for movement as well afaik.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    Crags, Whips, Shades and Shifts have support capabilities to be used by the commander. They are also structures that are either near the front or near a hive. And usually end up in the line of fire.

The reason the upgrades have been moved from them onto the Shells, Veils and Spurs is to have the possibility to remove your upgrade chambers from the line of fire. They are in a relatively safer locations inside hive areas.

They are also here to stay...

Crag + Shell
    Shade + Veil
    Shift + Spur <-- yet to be implemented of course :P

Keep in mind that the evolution system is still in development so it might change in terms of how they are researched.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Aliens#Structures" target="_blank">NS2 wiki for reference</a> (needs pictures for some)
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Wouldnt it be nice if the gorge could be the first and the Khamm the last.
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911269:date=Mar 8 2012, 09:32 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Mar 8 2012, 09:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Aliens#Structures" target="_blank">NS2 wiki for reference</a> (needs pictures for some)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

" Echo (Currently Unavailable)
    Description: Targeted ability that lets Alien Commander move a structure or Drifter elsewhere on the map (even a Hive or Harvester).
    "

That sounds incredibly OP
  • DeityDeity Join Date: 2012-01-31 Member: 142843Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It sounds powerful, sure. But knee-jerk reacting to two lines of text and saying it sounds overpowered isn't really fair to the devs. Especially since the game isn't feature complete, so there will be exosuits dual wielding rail guns at the point that a khamm can teleport structures and drifters around.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I'm waiting for Phantasm, fake alien players and buildings yeah :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1911278:date=Mar 8 2012, 03:16 PM:name=Xostean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xostean @ Mar 8 2012, 03:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911278"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->" Echo (Currently Unavailable)
    Description: Targeted ability that lets Alien Commander move a structure or Drifter elsewhere on the map (even a Hive or Harvester).
    "

That sounds incredibly OP<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The wiki doesn't show the full story and is not really up to date. this page just shows you the structures mostly. Abilities on structures are in a constant flux of testing and rejecting/accepting.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited March 2012
    Personally I just forgot about alien commander since the Shell Veil thing was introduced, it's not that I don't like it, I just completely stopped played alien commander since then (I wasn't playing it a lot anyway) and stopped to think about it. I'm not sure why, but probably because I though it was too complicated and just a temporary fix.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1911279:date=Mar 8 2012, 04:21 PM:name=Deity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deity @ Mar 8 2012, 04:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911279"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It sounds powerful, sure. But knee-jerk reacting to two lines of text and saying it sounds overpowered isn't really fair to the devs. Especially since the game isn't feature complete, so there will be exosuits dual wielding rail guns at the point that a khamm can teleport structures and drifters around.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, that ability will be available from hive 1, ie. gamestart.
    I also expect it to be be OP, especially if it just costs energy.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Save up energy, build a ton of whips, teleport whips to marine base, win. :D
  • InfraRedInfraRed Join Date: 2003-01-20 Member: 12508Members, Constellation
    I'm hoping for an ability that allows us to quickly move between hives like the old movement chamber allowed, I know we can jump around while waiting to respawn but it's not the same!
  • DeityDeity Join Date: 2012-01-31 Member: 142843Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @swalk you missed my point, which was that the game isn't feature complete. Shifts aren't available in the beta right now but neither are lots of other things that would help balance them out. I was using exos as an example, no need to nitpick it to death.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited March 2012
    I believe Echo is going require a Mature Shift to pull off, so if the Alien Commander decides to relocate a Hive (in Tram Server Room >_>), it's going to take 20 TRes and probably non-instant teleportation. While on the other hand, Marines can just recycle stuff for extra TRes to start with once relocated.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911329:date=Mar 8 2012, 03:10 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Mar 8 2012, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911329"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe Echo is going require a Mature Shift to pull off, so if the Alien Commander decides to relocate a Hive (in Tram Server Room >_>), it's going to take 20 TRes and probably non-instant teleportation. While on the other hand, Marines can just recycle stuff for extra TRes to start with once relocated.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would like alien comm to gain ability to destroy buildings though. Make them expand and blow up, less res return than marines get but does damage.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1911323:date=Mar 8 2012, 02:31 PM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Mar 8 2012, 02:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911323"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Save up energy, build a ton of whips, teleport whips to marine base, win. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

there will be restrictions that prevent it. the first implementation i wrote would require you a shift to be present at the place you want to teleport to. in that version it would be possible to do so, but for that the marines need to ignore the shift in their main base, wait until it's upgraded mature and has enough energy charged to teleport the whips. i doubt this ever would happen. another idea was that you require a shift next to the structure (s) you want to teleport (so the opposite mechanic), which would allow such offensive teleports (im not a big fan of that :) ).

so, it will not be without restrictions. you will not be able to magically let anytime and everywhere on the map structures appear. but, i like "cheesy" strategies in sc2. i would like to see such things are possible in ns2 as well, with tradeoffs of course (similar to gorge, lerk or cloak rushing, but with better trade offs, and maybe more tied to forward chambers). would be nice if each opening would allow some set of "cheesy" strategies: early phase gate + forward armory (may not work very good at the moment), early sentries to contain, SG or another weapon type rush (in case weapon types would untie from AA), forward chambers (crag, shade, shift, but this does not work properly with the current infestation mechanic). i think you see where im going
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    @Schimmel: While it may be obvious, teleportation only works on infestation correct? Although for things like Unrooted Whips and Drifters, even Hives, may be different as they do not require DI to survive.

But really, if all buildings/teleportable things require infestation at the destination, I think Marines just found themselves a counter to offensive Shifting :)
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1911336:date=Mar 8 2012, 03:23 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Mar 8 2012, 03:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911336"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Schimmel: While it may be obvious, teleportation only works on infestation correct? Although for things like Unrooted Whips and Drifters, even Hives, may be different as they do not require DI to survive.

But really, if all buildings/teleportable things require infestation at the destination, I think Marines just found themselves a counter to offensive Shifting :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i could only tell you how the current implementation works, but since it is not final and will be changed it makes not so much sense to discuss it now. we have to wait with that until the final implementation is released and playable, before it would just be speculation
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1911323:date=Mar 8 2012, 11:31 AM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Mar 8 2012, 11:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911323"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Save up energy, build a ton of whips, teleport whips to marine base, win. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Then whips would be useful for something more than nade tennis. I support.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1911278:date=Mar 8 2012, 10:16 AM:name=Xostean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xostean @ Mar 8 2012, 10:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911278"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->" Echo (Currently Unavailable)
    "

That sounds incredibly OP<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why do people bother saying this about things they have no experience with?

Is it OP if you only get to do it every 5 hours? How about it if it costs 300 tres to trigger it?

Why bothering posting that it 'sounds incredibly OP'? Educate me, Professor Gamesalot!
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    <!--coloro:#aadd00--><span style="color:#aadd00"><!--/coloro-->I don't think the tone there was necessary, IE.. but I do agree, we have absolutely no hard numbers or experience with it yet to really do much but theorize how it'll be. It could be over or under powered, it sounds nice either way, though.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • olisisolisis Join Date: 2003-02-01 Member: 12944Members
    edited March 2012
    I was playing earlier today and was shooting an onos in the marine base when he disappeared. This was just a death animation bug, but it reminded me of the ns1 ability ... Redemption? ... that may be wrong, but it was where if you were low on health, you would teleport back to the hive. Though annoying to some, since we are on the subject of teleporting, any chance of this making back in as well?
  • UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    I must confess I don't really see the point of moving the upgrades into separate structures. The "don't put your upgrades in the line of fire" argument is silly; just because they have field abilities doesn't mean you necessarily have to place them where those abilities are best used, and because the new upgrade structures cost the same amount of resources as their existing field counterparts, stashing a few Crags in corners where they wouldn't be hit often was no less efficient than doing the same with Shells now.

The way I see it, all the change really did was make it easier for the Marines to ninja-kill the Aliens' upgrades. Was that the intent?
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    @ UzGuyz: Hopefully! with 1 hive drifters come nice and slow, axing a couple of shells does hurt as Aliens, I promise. 'GG we've lost our upgrades' etc etc
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1911266:date=Mar 8 2012, 03:26 PM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Mar 8 2012, 03:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911266"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->who said its gonna be exactly like ns1?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ehm, every oldschool fan of ns1 maybe?
    Every oldschool fan of ns1 had the hope ns2 will be like ns1 just with some new features.
    They don't play ns2 because of these new features, thats what they said to me after i ask "why you don't play ns2".
    Also it was my hope to be honest, but my hope isn't gone, it looks like ns2 is going more and more a bit to ns1.
    Just want to say that...new people like you maybe don't know ns1...
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1911400:date=Mar 9 2012, 11:42 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Mar 9 2012, 11:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why do people bother saying this about things they have no experience with?
    Is it OP if you only get to do it every 5 hours? How about it if it costs 300 tres to trigger it?
    Why bothering posting that it 'sounds incredibly OP'? Educate me, Professor Gamesalot!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your right, but like lets think of it this way.
    a) If you cannot reasonably teleport hives, RT's, and whips at an obtainable cost (timely and reasonable), then echo is useless.
    b) If you <b>can</b> do so, then it is OP. Here is why.
    Hives - teleporting a hive about to go down is going to be worth it in almost every situation regardless of the cost due to hive build time and marine mobility.
    RT's - Echo is either cost efficient enough to allow harvester teleportation micro or it just isn't used at all.
    Whips/Shade - I can't really say anything about this. Might depend situationally.
    All other buildings - Echo is probably not going to be worth using on these.

TL;DR. Balancing echo is probably going to be knife edge. Either its OP due to its crazy extremeness, or its under utilized.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    Why use echo? Don't teleport the buildings, let them walk. Or if not this, make a delay to the teleport. Or... or... or... There are many possible tweaks, you can't say anything about balancing a not tested feature right now.