Is the aimbot issue going to get fixed?

Comments

• FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I only seen one guy use aimbot so far, it was about 60 builds ago or similar, when the flamethrower had its old functionality. I know he used aimbot as he kept on killing me through the walls, when i were in vents and similar. It was also really apparent in other situations.
    Everyone on the server left as it was so apparent and noone wanted to play with him.

Otherwise I havent noticed ppl use aimbots. I know how easy it would be to mod, but noone honestly wants to do it. it would just ruin the game.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    So, while I don't doubt NS2 aimbots do exist, its doubtful that you've encountered one. The combination of lag + obs motion tracking + good shooter skills can make it seem like their aimbotting you, but their not. One serious hitch in combat can make it seem like you got one-shotted from around the corner.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    Not to mention the fact that a Weapons3 LMG does something like 230 damage per second. In the mid/late game, skulks basically disintegrating to accurate LMG fire is kind of the norm.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1914787:date=Mar 19 2012, 01:59 AM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Mar 19 2012, 01:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914787"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I only seen one guy use aimbot so far, it was about 60 builds ago or similar, when the flamethrower had its old functionality. I know he used aimbot as he kept on killing me through the walls, when i were in vents and similar. It was also really apparent in other situations.
    Everyone on the server left as it was so apparent and noone wanted to play with him.

Otherwise I havent noticed ppl use aimbots. I know how easy it would be to mod, but noone honestly wants to do it. it would just ruin the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Funny, that was a bug with the Flamer and not a cheat ^^. was fixed around 20 builds ago, no cheater, just a bug.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1914704:date=Mar 18 2012, 05:47 PM:name=NSbadass)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NSbadass @ Mar 18 2012, 05:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914704"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I brought this up a while ago and people didn't want to hear it. My posts even got deleted. So its nice to see a thread addressing the issue. I had to stop playing because of a certain player who i wont make the mistake of naming again but his name starts with a D. It seems that other people are starting to get tired of him hacking too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your posts probably got deleted because whining about cheats when a better player kills you is retarded.

Again, I have never seen anyone cheating in NS2. Only whiners explaining their defeat with an excuse. At least use LAG or PERFORMANCE like the rest of us.
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1914811:date=Mar 18 2012, 07:46 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Mar 18 2012, 07:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your posts probably got deleted because whining about cheats when a better player kills you is retarded.

<b>Again, I have never seen anyone cheating in NS2.</b> Only whiners explaining their defeat with an excuse. At least use LAG or PERFORMANCE like the rest of us.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1914591:date=Mar 18 2012, 07:55 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Mar 18 2012, 07:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914591"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>I have 272 hours of NS2 played, almost exclusively during the last 10 or 15 patches</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Duly noted.
    <!--quoteo(post=1914823:date=Mar 18 2012, 10:13 PM:name=hampton)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hampton @ Mar 18 2012, 10:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Duly noted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And?

Point stands. Nobody is botting in NS2, just people whining when they lose.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited March 2012
    I have about 200 hours and have played almost all the patches since the beginning.

Cannot remember any instance where someone was obviously using an aimbot. The closest to cheating I've seen was when people exploited glitches like the skulk hyper bite or flying outside maps. None of those things exist anymore to my knowledge.

I've never been killed and thought it was down to cheats. Well only once then I learned about the thing where you don't appear to other people in the same position you think you are. So I've been killed when I thought I was safely away from the edge of a vent, when I must have been poking out.

You can say I don't know what I'm talking about, so I'll also say that I have never seen people leave a game because <i>they</i> said someone was using an aimbot. Even if they exist, NS2 is not a game where cheaters disturb the game experience for a large number of players, like in Battlefield 3.

Having said all this I support the idea of removing k/d info, and reducing amount of points given for killing the enemy - which is often very misleading because you can get lucky and put one bullet or bite into an enemy who had been weakened by a team-mate.

If it's a game where kills are not the main source of points, then it's less attractive to cheaters should they ever come.
    <!--quoteo(post=1914824:date=Mar 18 2012, 08:17 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Mar 18 2012, 08:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And?

Point stands. Nobody is botting in NS2, just people whining when they lose.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You don't have a point, you have an opinion based on your experience from a dozen patches out of two hundred. Repeating it as if you're an authority on cheating isn't necessary, thanks.
  • SlithersSlithers Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73368Members
    There are about 10 maybe 15 players that have insane aim in the game. What were their names? players like shiv and that guy from Carnage named disastr are the best I have seen so far, they simply do not miss and I am positive they don't cheat.
    <!--quoteo(post=1914833:date=Mar 18 2012, 10:33 PM:name=hampton)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hampton @ Mar 18 2012, 10:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914833"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You don't have a point, you have an opinion based on your experience from a dozen patches out of two hundred. Repeating it as if you're an authority on cheating isn't necessary, thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uhh. I've been averaging 1 or 2 hours per day for the past 4 or 5 months and I've never seen a botter. Now also consider the fact that pretty much every other known player has said they haven't seen a botter. Now you have thousands of hours over the past few months claiming to have never seen a botter.

What's more likely -- That all the experienced players are wrong about botters or that a couple random people have magically seen cheaters that nobody else can?
  • Mkk_BitestuffMkk_Bitestuff Join Date: 2003-01-17 Member: 12407Members
    Better call the demo detectives then, i'm sure they will review your case quite quickly.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    edited March 2012
    People were complaining about bots since the rockdown days when infest could cover South America in 3 drops.

I doubt being told you're not aiming well is going to convince you, but I can't say I've seen anyone actually cheating since way back in the 16x builds. Keep in mind players like shiv and a number of others have been playing since then too.

In all honesty, I haven't seen one player even use a marine beyond half its capacity in a public game much less a scrim.

2 - 3 skulk kills is max for a single LMG marine in a single encounter at the moment, but if we had reached the skill cap / overcame engine hitching; we should be seeing 5 kills on pubs all the time. It happened in NS1 constantly.

So keep that in mind, even if you saw a marine kill 5 - 7 skulks by himself, that's still plausible. Just unlikely. And most people complaining about aim bots are complaining about the 2 - 3 range stuff.
    <!--quoteo(post=1914845:date=Mar 18 2012, 08:51 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Mar 18 2012, 08:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914845"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Uhh. <b>I've been averaging 1 or 2 hours per day for the past 4 or 5 months</b> and<b> I've never seen a botter</b>. Now also consider the fact that pretty much every other known player has said they haven't seen a botter. Now you have thousands of hours over the past few months claiming to have never seen a botter.

What's more likely -- That all the experienced players are wrong about botters or that a couple random people have magically seen cheaters that nobody else can?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You're putting words in my mouth or misunderstanding the issue. You've also shared the same thought three times now. I agree with you, but that doesn't change anything.

I put the relevant parts of your post in bold to clarify, I'll try again.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiosity" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiosity</a>
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man</a>

Cheers.
  • SlithersSlithers Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73368Members
    I love how people think there are aim botters in this game, imagine if they played Quake Live PQL mode. rofl
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <b>"That guy hits me every time! I better let others know he's a botter! :("</b>

<b>Not so fast, buddy! :)</b>

Before accusing someone of botting, please perform these five steps I call the "Objective Observer Point-of-view Steps"! (Also known as O.O.P.S!)

<u>Step 1.</u>
    Go to <a href="http://www.quakelive.com" target="_blank">quakelive.com</a>

<u>Step 2.</u>
    Create a new player account, preferrably naming yourself as "Sepiroth", or if that's taken, "Pancakemaster" will do.

<u>Step 3.</u>
    Go play on a Free for All server. Choose the one that says "Very hard".

<u>Step 4.</u>
    Realize that due to the absense of brackets, all skill-levels play on the same servers in Natural-Selection 2.

<u>Step 5.</u>
    Throw a tantrum.

<b>Remember!</b> Not everyone can be the very best, like no one ever was, to catch them is my real test, to train them is my cause...
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1914544:date=Mar 18 2012, 02:33 AM:name=shiv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shiv @ Mar 18 2012, 02:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914544"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are people who have played 100s of hours of NS2 and 100s if not 1000s of hours of NS1 or other FPS games. They have better aim and better reflexes than you, and more than likely a better computer. You were simply outplayed and now you're here on the forums complaining about hacks. Unless you have proof of cheating/hacking you should stop whining and go back to practicing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is likely the case.

I only got NS2 a week or two ago now but i'm already able to very quickly aim directly at an incoming skulk and blow them away with a single shotgun shell, I can understand how people might see that as aimbotting from their point of view.
    <!--quoteo(post=1914881:date=Mar 19 2012, 12:04 AM:name=hampton)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hampton @ Mar 19 2012, 12:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914881"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're putting words in my mouth or misunderstanding the issue. You've also shared the same thought three times now. I agree with you, but that doesn't change anything.

I put the relevant parts of your post in bold to clarify, I'll try again.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiosity" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiosity</a>
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man</a>

Cheers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Posting irrelevant links that don't fit at all in the topic.

I provided my experience and my anecdotal evidence. You've only done the latter half. I've been more thorough in giving my opinion. You've just been a ######.

You'll also notice that I bolded the relevant parts of your quote. (hint: none)
  • fallout1333fallout1333 Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1914845:date=Mar 18 2012, 06:51 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Mar 18 2012, 06:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914845"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Uhh. I've been averaging 1 or 2 hours per day for the past 4 or 5 months and I've never seen a botter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Looks like you've not played with me then, or maybe you just aren't very good at spotting my aimbot..
    <!--quoteo(post=1914913:date=Mar 19 2012, 12:34 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Mar 19 2012, 12:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914913"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been more thorough in giving my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm glad we could identify the problem, that's progress of a kind.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Client- and server-performance is so ###### you likely wouldn't be able to tell competent players and cheaters apart, nor do we have the facilities to do any kind of verification (come on UWE, first-person spectating, where is it, walk away from those gorge-hats and make this happen instead).
    <!--quoteo(post=1914925:date=Mar 19 2012, 05:11 AM:name=hampton)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hampton @ Mar 19 2012, 05:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914925"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm glad we could identify the problem, that's progress of a kind.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Forums are nothing but opinions. Welcome to the internet.

Still zero confirmed botters in NS2 AFAIK.
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1914513:date=Mar 18 2012, 12:55 AM:name=MrGunner)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrGunner @ Mar 18 2012, 12:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914513"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you're saying that you are noticing players that are using aimbots in a game that has limited players and a non open source engine? They must be ###### dedicated cheaters.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are aimbots that run off of your Video Card rather than the game itself, which i would assume would enable the ability to do it in just about any game you want (Just guessing based on how my 3D vision works)
    An aimbot that can deduce viable targets from incoming piles of polygons through the render-pipeline, and adjust the mouse position accordingly? Sounds like quite a feat, you'd wonder why such people wouldn't rather spend their time on more fruitful endeavours.
  • NecropsYNecropsY Join Date: 2012-01-23 Member: 141746Members
    I think there should be 1st Person Spectate mode option -

This would put alot of speculation to rest one way or another
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1914611:date=Mar 18 2012, 04:58 PM:name=BuzterOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BuzterOne @ Mar 18 2012, 04:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Same. I havnt seen anyone with "100%" hit rating on Lerks :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just to clarify, I don't think people are aimbotting, but it would be easy enough to write the code to be 'just less' than perfect.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1914799:date=Mar 19 2012, 02:21 AM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Mar 19 2012, 02:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Funny, that was a bug with the Flamer and not a cheat ^^. was fixed around 20 builds ago, no cheater, just a bug.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I know that the fact it went through walls was a bug. but it obviously was not a bug that he could track us, he somehow knew (or automaticlly aimed at) where every alien was, and with the ft bug he managed to kill us when we were on the other side of a wall, or in a nearby vent.

but as i said i havent seen an aimbot since, and I doubt I will, as noone finds them fun.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1915030:date=Mar 19 2012, 03:33 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 19 2012, 03:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915030"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->An aimbot that can deduce viable targets from incoming piles of polygons through the render-pipeline, and adjust the mouse position accordingly? Sounds like quite a feat, you'd wonder why such people wouldn't rather spend their time on more fruitful endeavours.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Programmers enjoy a challenge just as much as anyone else... all it takes is one guy thinking "interesting problem, and I don't really care about what other people do with it", never even need someone to be actively malicious.
    It's true, modders for this (almost completely undocumented) game would be a prime example. Still, the callousness to just throw that code out there, and have it be user-friendly to boot, I'd sit on it (who knows, I might be sitting on an aimbot right now...).
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    I think there are still quite a lot of issues with hit recognition and the netcode that are causing these issues.

Sometime I play on a server as Fade and it seems like every bullet hits me, I can't hit Marines and seem to go down very quickly.

On other servers, I get Fade's taking me down instantaneously (or what seems to be) and I seem to unload into them and nothing happens.

In the last build - when things go laggy/too much for my pc - I fired off grenades and they'd explode inches from my face, or move very slowely in the air.

In this build, the pistol is completely nuts. It doesn't fire smoothly, and I get a bug whereby if I turn the laser on, switch to lmg and then switch back during a fight, my pistol no longer fires. I've also had it where I switch back to lmg to fire, and that stops firing also. This isn't to do with needing to reload if you are thinking that.

You get people on these forums posting all sorts about registration that the devs haven't even noticed themselves, so let us just wait a bit before this whole 'hacking' thing is brought up.