Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 201 released

Comments

• NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I think hive 1 onos is fine if it's being tweaked a bit more. Maybe more expensive and remove that knockdown. At least from hive 1.

If you think destroying power nodes is pointless (and I'm inclined to agree) just don't. There's pretty much no advantage to destroying a power node in a contested area because it will be up again within 3 seconds. Do something useful instead. It's still nice having that option though.
  • sLiMsLiM Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31244Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1917456:date=Mar 25 2012, 03:24 PM:name=Despoiler)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Despoiler @ Mar 25 2012, 03:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917456"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sweet it's not just me. I haven't found a work around yet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have the same problem.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Usually when we have enough res to go Onos we already have 2 hives. Not sure tying Onos to hive 2 would make a difference.
  • SomaZSomaZ Join Date: 2011-08-09 Member: 115177Members
    Same problem here, can't see servers. Windows 7 64-bit (doubt that specs matter).

Performance is still pretty bad. I value fps over quality and can play on the most ridiculously horrible settings. Still, 20-30 fps on a 800x480 resolution is definitely not good enough. My highest resolution (1366x768) halfs that fps (12-18). This game needs to give about twice as much fps compared to its current state. Fps also affects the input delay to be quite noticeable, something unacceptable for a competitive FPS game.

Love the new UI, big improvement.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1917475:date=Mar 25 2012, 11:05 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Mar 25 2012, 11:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917475"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Usually when we have enough res to go Onos we already have 2 hives. Not sure tying Onos to hive 2 would make a difference.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's at least easier to attack the building hive than to squelch every single egg including the ones evolving to onos. Gives marine players something to do other than sit back and reflect on what good lives they've had.
  • StormApanStormApan Join Date: 2007-06-17 Member: 61280Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    No servers here either, and this time verify integrity didn't work like it did last time I had the problem.
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    edited March 2012
    no servers either ... had the same problem in 199, I fixed it with reinstalling the game, but this didn't worked for 201! :(
    after 201 update I played a few rounds and it was fine, but when the <b>steam-update</b> came up, it was broken!
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Finally the CoD/TF2 crowd arrived in NS2, lost of PUB games arent fun anymore. The game is great but the new players are.....
  • DespoilerDespoiler Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72954Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1917565:date=Mar 25 2012, 11:19 AM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Mar 25 2012, 11:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917565"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Finally the CoD/TF2 crowd arrived in NS2, lost of PUB games arent fun anymore. The game is great but the new players are.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With success brings noobs. Happens to every game.
  • Watermel0wnedWatermel0wned Join Date: 2012-03-25 Member: 149360Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1917515:date=Mar 25 2012, 09:08 AM:name=StormApan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StormApan @ Mar 25 2012, 09:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917515"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No servers here either, and this time verify integrity didn't work like it did last time I had the problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^This!

Absolutely no Servers :C
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    Servers wouldn't appear for me right away either.

Just give it a few mins and your list <u>should</u> populate eventually.
    <!--quoteo(post=1917565:date=Mar 25 2012, 01:19 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Mar 25 2012, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917565"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Finally the CoD/TF2 crowd arrived in NS2, lost of PUB games arent fun anymore. The game is great but the new players are.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I resent that!
    I was a diehard TF2 player for a very long time. Granted I played competitively more than in pubs...okay, I see what you mean.

Guess what, though? Those people you don't like are supporting this game with their money just like you. There are more of them than people you like (it's just the state of contemporary gaming) so you have to shrug them off.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1917605:date=Mar 25 2012, 06:51 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Mar 25 2012, 06:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917605"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I resent that!
    I was a diehard TF2 player for a very long time. Granted I played competitively more than in pubs...okay, I see what you mean.

Guess what, though? Those people you don't like are supporting this game with their money just like you. There are more of them than people you like (it's just the state of contemporary gaming) so you have to shrug them off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Never said I don't like em! I just said the crowd is comming and lot of the new players are 14y old kids that spam mic with : "Gimme JP, mother f.... Com", "yo SoB! ###### dumb cheater" etc.
    I had to penetrade my mom 100times today....
    If you give an order as com: "###### you I' m in ore! Med me, shield me, idiot! Noob com!!"

Just no more fun!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some thoughts on the new alien commander cysts compared to gorge mini cysts.

Mini cysts are 400 health, cost 3 p.res from the player that already spent 10 res to go gorge, and now currently take a while to spread.
    Regular cysts are 600 health, cost 2.pres from the Commander who gets his free 3 drifters at the start to spend t.res, and can drop cysts that spread and deploy faster than mini cysts.

In a game previously, I started the game evolving to gorge to place some cysts to help out the commander. The commander was nice enough to tell me to stop wasting my p.res because his cysts were cheaper and stronger than my cysts, and just told me to drop some hydras and heal the team. Completely reducing the Gorge's potential playstyle and limiting gameplay to something much shallower than before.

Potential solutions.

1. Make the gorge drop regular cysts at the same price and health as the alien commander, seeing how the gorge already deposited 10 p.res on his lifeform.
    2. Give the Gorge the stronger cheaper cysts because he spent the additional 10 p.res on his lifeform, and have the commander place mini cysts.
    2. Gorge Mini cysts have reduced health (200-300), they only use energy to drop and the mini cysts deploy infestation quickly, but you can't place them on infestation. Limiting spam.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    I can see servers sometimes, and sometimes not. Disabled firewall to rule that out. Windows 7 (64 bit).
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I had the server issue for one day which was steam related. Go <a href="http://www.play4dead.com/ns2/#" target="_blank">here</a> and click the first link on the top listing active servers and players. Get the ip and go into the game using console: Connect IP. The server list will update either with a steam update like with mine or the next patch. The above is a better method for server searching anyways :P
  • InertInert Join Date: 2008-02-03 Member: 63569Members
    Yeah, win7 64 bit here as well, i verified integrity, nothing..

THEN.. i restarted my computer.. worked last night.. and now it doesnt work today :(
  • twostrokertwostroker Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144573Members
    i could not see servers yesterday too but i clicked console button they appeared
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    Crazy fun build,

I love having fades and jp's on the field early, the game gets much less predictable and there is no inevitable decline after hive 2. The only change i'd make would for shadow step to use a small amount of energy so flamers continue to be the anti-fade weapon they were before 200.

I agree with most people that early onos should be looked at, but moving jp's forward does make them more vulnerable to being chased.
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    edited March 2012
    Just noticed on the latest map (forgot the name) that there are two areas in the alien start where you can get stuck:

<a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/638/65311192.jpg/" target="_blank">http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/638/65311192.jpg/</a> (Crosshair points to where you can get stuck. The "sunken" are next to the pillars)
    <a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/814/44181764.jpg/" target="_blank">http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/814/44181764.jpg/</a> (The area where I am stuck)
    Got into both places by moving/jumping around.

Also when I use the kill command in the console to get free I got the on-screen message as if an enemy player (his name showing up) killed me. Which he didn't. Dont know if he got ress for it...

Performance seems pretty solid now. Not perfect but at least enjoyable now on my "old" rig :)
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1917765:date=Mar 25 2012, 09:35 PM:name=ubikjam)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ubikjam @ Mar 25 2012, 09:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917765"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I love having fades and jp's on the field early, the game gets much less predictable and there is no inevitable decline after hive 2. The only change i'd make would for shadow step to use a small amount of energy so flamers continue to be the anti-fade weapon they were before 200.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, I believe they did do that. I was noticing my energy go down a smidgen when I shadowstepped. I could have been hallucinating though.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    here's some of my thoughts:

1a. onos is EFFING IMBA
    prev. build the marines were f*cked when fades came, now onos has taken that role, as soon as onos => rines f*cked!
    there is no counter to it, there is no preventing it, there is ABSOLUTELY NO amount of firepower that can bring it down EFFECTIVELY!
    aliens get 2 hives == BG!

1b. onos smash(?) is EFFING IMBA TOO
    except for RT and CC, this stupidly imbalanced ability brings structures down in an astronomical rate!
    combine this with the above, and onoses can do guerilla tactics rushing into base, few smashes, heal, repeat...
    marines can do VERY LITTLE AGAINST THIS!
    powernode becomes EXTRA sensitive to this...

constructive: i like the idea of this ability, but it doesn't work in practice right now.
    make this ability much more costly in terms of energy, so that 2 smashes require 110% of onos energy
    or give it a really long cooldown
    or scale dmg to structures somehow, like: small structures are harder to hit (= take less dmg)

make onos more energy dependent IN GENERAL!
    like his movement be activated with "alt movement" AND REQUIRES ENERGY (like charge in ns1)

2. rines cannot keep any map control
    since rines need to stick together in squads, by definition, most of the map is going to be unguarded.
    unlike aliens who have to travel from hive to front and are in general more lone wolves.
    when fade comes out, goodbye mapcontrol => less res => weaker rines
    then onos comes in soon and completely seals the deal...

3a. commander controls (rine) are bugged as sh*t
    when giving supplies assist tab gets switched away at random times all the time!
    nanoshield command is bugged too, cannot be canceled with right-click
    AND if you click too late on a target it will be used ANYWAY (haven't tried clicking on ground simply)
    i need to have 'slot1' on 'q' and 'slot2' on 'e' - BUT - this f*cks up commander mode!
    can the two control sets be separate????

3b. alien commander controls are also bugged as sh*t
    MUCH MUCH MORE than for rines
    i'm not gonna describe it all in detail, but let me just say, i tried whip-pushing with ~10 mature whips,
    and the controls were impossible to handle, i had to micromanage them 1-by-1 and still hiccups all the time!

4. grenade whipping
    is either invincible OR doesn't work at all
    the grenade detonation timer gets increased after a whip also, so the nade will never explode near the whip.
    how come they send it flying PINPOINT the same direction back?? add some randomness (alot of it!)

5a. resflow is extremely slow and non-fluid (predictable) on few rt:s, but res for kills isn't very realistic
    although it made ns1 MUCH BETTER imo!!!

5b. aliens basically don't need hives now, only rt:s, and then later sometime along the way,
    when rines are pushed back anyway, they can easily get that second hive for a sure win onos.

marines are always lacking resources as it is now.

suggestion: make tech-points give half the res of rt:s!

6. the "smoothing out" of tech-tree is COMPLETELY detrimental to the NS-feel imo!
    it just makes everything bland and predictable! there's no sense of accomplishment reaching new tech!
    everything is such small money EXCEPT FOR UPGRADES which are HUGE.
    JP pres cost reduction is more justifiable, and the robo alteration i kinda like.
    UNDO THE REST!
    arc and JP cost should maybe be 15 (if not to go back to 20 like before)

no matter all this - i still freakin love NS2 <3
    :P
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1917299:date=Mar 24 2012, 08:31 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Mar 24 2012, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917299"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>3. Onos</b>
    So devour is a problem, but giving him 2 stuns isnt?
    You can stomp from range and kick down every marine in range then run in and kick them again with primary fire... you cant make a single shot, marines will constantly fall on the ground - its not fun. (at least if you are the marine)

You can devour me me all day long, its way more fun to look at the inside of an onos (you can just suicide if you wish /kill) than getting kicked around like a football helplessly.
    Or just remove the kick on primary fire.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have to second this. Now that we have 3-4 players regularly going onos at a time, there's not much hope at that point.
    The onos is a beast to play and fight against, but ONLY in sets of 1-2 with this current version.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited March 2012
    I strongly feel an adjustment to mines is needed. marines are able to lay these down like stepping stones from their base/PG to wherever their front line is because of how cheap they are.
    <!--quoteo(post=1917868:date=Mar 25 2012, 08:14 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Mar 25 2012, 08:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917868"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I strongly feel an adjustment to mines is needed. marines are able to lay these down like stepping stones from their base/PG to wherever their front line is because of how cheap they are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

and the detection range is a lot bigger than it looks like it should be
    pair this with skulks running on walls trying to get speed, and...well..
  • PerestroikaPerestroika Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111955Members, NS2 Map Tester
    ideas:

-maybe marine power nodes can be upgraded with a damage absorbing glass shield or something

-gl is op spamfest, reduce grenade count maybe

-onos stunlocks are lame
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    If you time the grenade to explode just befor the whip then theres no increased time counter rubbish, just use walls and bounce the grenade around for a bit to run down the timer, or move back a bit more...definatly an art form but hey, thats the point of whips right?
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    201 feels well balanced. When there's a good alien team with 2 onoses and healing gorges they'll win. And that's exactly the point where minigun etc. will help. It's going in the right direction, I had some 'NS is back' games today.

The new marine HUD is perfect. (only the banners are too big and not always necessary.)

Problems:
    -Fade without Blink is useless
    -Adrenaline (or a movement chamber, no, both) is needed.
    -Commanders on both sides need somehow more feedback. Or maybe they just need more to do. Many commanders - and it happened to me today, too - feel like they don't know why they lost. I heared often something like 'hey, what could I have done better?' And nobody really knows. At half of the match the game is like running by itself somehow...maybe it's the problem of not being able to manage the res of your team members (Or giving weapons to them). So it is never in your hands what fighting strategy to go. Dunno.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    I think you can give marines weapons yeah?
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    dat onos @ 7min, gg