occlusion culling

DrakennzDrakennz Join Date: 2012-03-11 Member: 148620Members
<div class="IPBDescription">how to</div>I see a lot of talk about Occlusion culling, but i have no idea how to implement it or really what it does other than hid parts of the map that aren't meant to be rendered. Can someone please offer me some insight into this and how to use it please?

:-)

Comments

• Dragon-GuardDragon-Guard Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112159Members
    that's not something you should worry about i believe.

Its pretty much like you said, it makes it so hidden objects aren't rendered but its calculated by the engine itself in spark if im not mistaking.
    You just have to make sure you don't have any holes or strange spots in your maps that let you see parts of the map that you otherwise wouldn't see.
    because that would cause the engine to render those models and geometry even though they aren't needed, causing TEH LAGZ if its to much.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    It used to be automatic but now you have to create it.

Basically you have to envelop your map as tight as possible with geometry in a group called OcclusionCulling with faces on both sides. Open one of the official maps, or a functional community map and take a look. It is probably the best way to understand how it works.

A community map might be easier to understand as UWE's maps are really rich and complex! In ns2_turtle OcclusionCulling is in a layer named Occ. Geometry in a layer called Geo, by turning these on and off you should be able to understand how they relate to each other.

Props won't be rendered if behind an OcclussionCulling face. With geometry it is a bit different, as it seams spark cuts up the geometry into different parts so sometimes geometry is rendered behind Occlusion faces if it is close to the player.

In-game, use the console command r_wireframe (with cheats 1) to take a look at what the engine renders.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    Dragon-Guard is sort of right. Spark does deal with occlusion culling automatically, however it's been the source of some lag itself in the past. There's been something called occlusion geometry in the pipelines for some time (I don't know if ever did get implemented since I missed a few updates), basically occlusion geometry is a special layer of extremely simple shapes that surround the rooms/hallways of the map and performs the first-pass when it comes to culling unseen geometry.

The purpose of this is to speed up the calculation of culled geometry eliminating both the lag caused by the geometry and the automatic culler. Whilst it's not a necessity, it's good practice to include it and it will also increase performance of the map.
  • DrakennzDrakennz Join Date: 2012-03-11 Member: 148620Members
    Thanks guys, I've already got Turtle downloaded so will open it up and try to grasp it from there :-)
    edited March 2012
    It IS a necessity to include it if you want you map to perform. NS2 really needs some serious optimizations before it can be played by most people. Albeit I have a laptop, it is an i7 with 6g of ram and an hd5870, which is a reasonable computer, but I have to play NS2 in 800*600 in ridiculously awful with bloom and atmospherics off to get more than 10 fps.

Not to do some savage personal advertising but simple community maps like ns2_turtle are the only maps that runs reasonably nicely on my comp, I love to play the official maps too, and they are visually stunning but I get terrible performance on them... I get criticism about how the visuals could be much nicer on turtle, but I want to make a map that at least I can play on :p

If NS2 doesn't perform much better, it will stay a game for hardcore gamers with top of the line gear.

/edit

I have a question for UWE mappers, how many draw calls do you limit yourselves to? With turtle I have tried to stay under 1000 and it is there in the biggest areas. With UWE maps it can go way higher.

What is the internal limit on draw calls UWE sets for its mappers?
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    Occ culling is not optional. Gotta have it
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    There's a bit of misinformation here so I thought I'd weigh in with the "official" word. You now need to add occlusion culling to maps by adding a layer of geometry that wraps tightly around your map, and adding this layer to a group called "OcclusionGeometry". You need to do this because the occlusion system has changed. It used to use the level geometry itself to calculate what it was culling, but that turned out to be too expensive for good performance, so this new system was put in place using a mapper-defined occlusion mesh. You need to have it because if you don't, you'll be drawing the entire level.

So once again, the occlusion mesh <i>is</i> now a necessity.

Evil_bOb1: We don't have any internal rules regarding draw calls at the moment. Since performance is still changing on a very regular basis, if we started to set firm limits like that we'd just be chasing moving targets all the time. When things even out a bit we might look into where the performance sweet spot is for draw calls but right now we aren't too worried about it.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1917802:date=Mar 25 2012, 05:30 PM:name=Drakennz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drakennz @ Mar 25 2012, 05:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I see a lot of talk about Occlusion culling, but i have no idea how to implement it or really what it does other than hid parts of the map that aren't meant to be rendered. Can someone please offer me some insight into this and how to use it please?

:-)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are two major aspects to this. You need the afforementioned "OcclusionGeometry" group. If you can actually see something, then it can't be culled, obviously; so you've got to use rooms and corridors that obstruct view so that which is behind can be culled, but you have to figure out how to do it in an aesthetically pleasing way that doesn't look like you just put something there for the sake of occlusion culling.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1917819:date=Mar 25 2012, 04:06 PM:name=Evil_bOb1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Evil_bOb1 @ Mar 25 2012, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917819"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is the internal limit on draw calls UWE sets for its mappers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have never seen draw calls be a bottleneck in the game, but I would recommend keeping it under 1000.
  • Dragon-GuardDragon-Guard Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112159Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1917988:date=Mar 26 2012, 10:14 AM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Mar 26 2012, 10:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917988"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's a bit of misinformation here so I thought I'd weigh in with the "official" word. You now need to add occlusion culling to maps by adding a layer of geometry that wraps tightly around your map, and adding this layer to a group called "OcclusionGeometry". You need to do this because the occlusion system has changed. It used to use the level geometry itself to calculate what it was culling, but that turned out to be too expensive for good performance, so this new system was put in place using a mapper-defined occlusion mesh. You need to have it because if you don't, you'll be drawing the entire level.

So once again, the occlusion mesh <i>is</i> now a necessity.

Evil_bOb1: We don't have any internal rules regarding draw calls at the moment. Since performance is still changing on a very regular basis, if we started to set firm limits like that we'd just be chasing moving targets all the time. When things even out a bit we might look into where the performance sweet spot is for draw calls but right now we aren't too worried about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

in that case i apologize for the miss information, i havent been able to play or map for ns2 for the last 4 months because my gpu broke and i havent had the spare cash to fit it.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    Cool I came here trying to learn more about OC and it was all explained right on the front page.

I did it for one room, it was kinda tedious but not like skyboxing in HL2. Made 100% difference in performance. I found it not possible to select everything in a layer and then group it. So I ended up with the inside facing Oc and outside being different groups. How can you merge groups now?

Good job UWE : )
    edited March 2012
    I guess you could double click (or just click i'm not sure) on the group (in the group window) you want to transfer to select all elements in it, then click on the add button to the group you want to transfer.

As OccGeo is usually one mesh, you can also double click on any face of it to select any connected face, then add to the OccGeo group. This is how I do it so I am sure when I edit the OccGeo that all new elements are included.
    <!--quoteo(post=1918082:date=Mar 26 2012, 10:35 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Mar 26 2012, 10:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have never seen draw calls be a bottleneck in the game, but I would recommend keeping it under 1000.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Max, you say that draw calls are not the bottleneck, which I agree I have noticed, but when you take in account everything else that it is going to run in parallel, having a limit on draw calls can smooth things out considerably. Wouldn't it be a good thing for the game, for the team to set a limit on draw calls? Tram can easily go over the 2000 and it is not rare that it goes over 3000. Beautiful map but terrible performance.

Are you confident that after optimization of the game code, that 3000 draw calls be viable?
    Awesome info guys ! :-) I now think i know what OCC is, now my question is: how do i apply it, do i literally have to make twice the geometry around the map? I've downloaded Turtle and had a look but from what i can see im not sure if i need to re-start my entire map so i can add it. Ev1l_bob - i'll hit you up on Steam on send you my map - perhaps you could make some suggestions ? :-)
    You got it. It is basically a little bigger, simpler, untextured, doubled version of the map that warps around the rest of the map.

You do that doubled version, then add it to a group (F8 shortcut key on editor for group window) named exactly OccusionGeometry

Here is how I did mine on turtle. Now, this is not THE way to make OccGeo. It was adapted to the geometry on turtle and there might be an easier way for each depending on the map. It is good to figure things out by oneself, so then you understand why you do it that way. But it is also good to share so it will be easier for you guys :D

-First I created a huge rectangle under the map, larger than the extents of the map.

-then drew on that rectangle with the line tool the contours of the rooms. Starting with the first line in perspective view then followed in top view once I knew the lines were going to connect and draw on that rectangle. (It doesn't always work that way so check every once in a while in perspective view that the lines are creating on the bottom face)

-Once I got the right shape to enclose a room. I duplicated that shape twice and put the two faces just above and below the room it was going to enclose. Keeping the original if ever.

-Then I joined the two faces with the line tool to make a volume.

-Then I created all the missing faces

-Double click on the mesh and add to OcclusionGeometry group

To connect two volumes, it becomes a bit trickier.

-I would draw a rectangle a bit bigger than the connecting way on the face I want to make a hole in. Delete the center to get a hole.

Now here is where it get tricky because spark doesn't recognized the lines of the hole on both sides.

-Create another rectangle smaller than the first. Delete the center then move the edges so it is the same size as the first. So now I effectively have holes on both sides.

-Repeat this on the other room you want to connect.

-Connect the two holes and create faces where they a missing.

-double click on the mesh and add to OcclusionGeometry group.

Using this method I was able to create my Occ for the whole level in a few days
    Could i not just click on each of my faces, copy them and then paste them on the outide of each one, then un-texture them e.t.c?
    Like I said, it depend on the form of the map, if you feel that way is going to be the quickest and best for you, go with your feeling ;) Initiatives always pay off!