Web UI with minimap

ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">Seemed like a good idea.</div>So, a few weeks back, I was stuck in a hospital cafeteria waiting for a few hours so I threw together a little UI that displays player locations on a minimap given a JSON input. It updates every few seconds. Things are pretty neat.

At this point the idea have been floating around my brain for about 2 weeks. I haven't yet done the LUA bit. Primarily, because I have some fears about implementation. So let me lay them out.

<ol type='1'><li>Sever Stability implications with high web load if using the internal process</li><li>Server Performance issues, lowered tick rate etc</li><li>Obvious issues with Players in the game viewing the map</li></ol>

Now, it seems like the obvious mitigation strategy for this would be to every x ticks log player locations to file, and then consume them outside the NS2 process. It looks like most people are running a windows host these days, this means IIS and .NET are obvious options for that layer. this also means that web processing would get moved off the same core as the ns2 server and thus mean I can not worry about 500 people viewing the match.

To deal with three I was going to simply ip ban any one who was connected to the server from viewing details.

Is the IIS assumption valid?
Does any one see any obvious flaws in my plan?

Comments

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    That sounds amazing, looking forward to it :)