Alien health WHY!

bobthesobbobthesob Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137195Members
<div class="IPBDescription">why does it regenerate naturally?</div>How come aliens health will regen even if the team doesn't have the upgrade?

Aliens already can maneuver and flank around the map much better then the marines.

Marines sometimes need to use risky game play elements to help map control. Like the phase gate which can turn into a meat grinder. The beacon is bad also because it put your entire team in one room. Which allows the alien team to swarm and gain entire map control.

At least make the alien have to research regen and evolve it to have that or make them fall back to a gorge. Also I dont think the hive should heal. Thats is what the gorge and crag are for. If u stand next to a hive u gain health also. WHY?

Also i dont think the creep should slow down the marines. There slow enough already imo.

aliens just have a straight up edge in strategic gameplay. They never have to worry about there health!

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    1. Aliens do have to worry about their health, because they have a finite amount of it and marines will kill them if they ignore it.

2. Unless they changed it drastically in the last couple of patches, alien health regen is pretty slow without the upgrade, and unlike marines the only place they can refill it properly is the hive, marines can refill it anywhere with medpacks and welders, or they can drop forward armories which are extremely effective, they can also teleport back to base and back out again with phase gates, so they have a large amount of support options. Aliens are pretty limited to hives, gorges, or the upgrade.

3. Removing alien health regen won't do very much because aliens are powerful because of their speed, no fade or lerk is going to sit and wait for their health to regen when they can go back to the hive to heal and be back out again even faster, skulks don't matter if they die, the point of aliens is they can outmaneuver marines, not out-heal them, that's a bonus with regen upgrade, not the core of their power.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    if this isnt flamebait....

youre basically just saying "the sides are different". thats how its intended. alien natural regen is so slow its not really effective at keeping aliens in combat, it just gives them a few extra bullets when it really matters in 1v1.

but aliens are OP right now, devs know that. theyre making small changes to swing the balance back, but just saying "stop the aliens from being able to heal" doesnt really present a reasonable solution
  • bobthesobbobthesob Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137195Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1927600:date=Apr 20 2012, 03:53 AM:name=Drummer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drummer @ Apr 20 2012, 03:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927600"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if this isnt flamebait....

youre basically just saying "the sides are different". thats how its intended. alien natural regen is so slow its not really effective at keeping aliens in combat, it just gives them a few extra bullets when it really matters in 1v1.

but aliens are OP right now, devs know that. theyre making small changes to swing the balance back, but just saying "stop the aliens from being able to heal" doesnt really present a reasonable solution<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

flamebait?

Im just saying the natural regen allows the aliens to be very aggressive imo too aggressive. It definitely keeps them in combat because they dont need to fall back to a gorge or crag. I dont really care about the teams being unique. The more differences there are the harder it is to balance. Right now the aliens are far more capable of gaining map control. Which is a direct result from the ability to be super aggressive.

If marines dont get mines then there going to get swarmed super fast.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited April 2012
    for reference:
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->AlienRegenerationTime                  :                 2
    AlienInnateRegenerationPercentage      :              0.02
    AlienInfestationRegenerationPercentage :              0.04
    AlienRegenerationPercentage            :              0.12<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    the 2 is very likely 2 seconds. so you regenerate 2% every 2 seconds, 4% if you are on infestation (or maybe it stacks, so 6%?). 1min40s is pretty long to get back from 1 hp to full health, 50 seconds is still quite long if you have to sit out open on infestation. if you'd disable hive-healing, what would you do if there was no gorge or crag around?
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I personally dislike the regen without the upgrade and on the marine side i dont like how the armory heals armor (should be just health.). In both cases i think this speeds up the game and removes some of the player responsibilty to manage health and know when to retreat. Marine side it makes welders less useful, but all in all not a game breaker for me, though i understand the OPs argument when it comes to regen. The rest smells like troll bait.
  • bobthesobbobthesob Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137195Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1927604:date=Apr 20 2012, 04:09 AM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Apr 20 2012, 04:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927604"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->for reference:
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->AlienRegenerationTime                  :                 2
    AlienInnateRegenerationPercentage      :              0.02
    AlienInfestationRegenerationPercentage :              0.04
    AlienRegenerationPercentage            :              0.12<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    the 2 is very likely 2 seconds. so you regenerate 2% every 2 seconds, 4% if you are on infestation (or maybe it stacks, so 6%?). 1min40s is pretty long to get back from 1 hp to full health, 50 seconds is still quite long if you have to sit out open on infestation. if you'd disable hive-healing, what would you do if there was no gorge or crag around?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should build a crag or evolve a gorge. The gain is like 2 hp every second. Go hide in a vent for 30 seconds then pop out and keep attacking. Aliens are so much more adaptable while marines have to use brute force. I guess if that's what UWE is going for then they have done a good job.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about playing some games in the alien team before giving balance advices?
    You are so biased for the marines, that this is not really helpful.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I enjoy the very small passive regeneration. It's negligible for combat purposes but affords aliens some small reward for staying useful on the field rather than running all the way back to the hive for 40hp.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You should build a crag or evolve a gorge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    the gorge might be on the other side of the map, e.g. building up the 2nd hive. and if you have not researched crag path (which costs some tres now), this could be a major disadvantage e.g. for fades.
    i think the hive-regen should stay for those moments when you are really low on health but cannot get healing in your own base. but it could be nerfed down quite a bit, that would be fine with me.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's negligible for combat purposes<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    every 1 point of armor blocks 2 damage of a rifle or axe, and even 4 damage from a shotgun or pistol. so personally, i like to retreat when i'm at medium or low health, but i hide when my health is almost full as the armor-regen will kick in rather soon. for a skulk with carapace (30 armor) thats 120 extra-health against a pistol-sniper or a shotgun! or 6 more rifle weapon0 bullets, which is a lot considering it only takes 13 to kill it at full health+full carapacearmor.
  • BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    uhm, why has no one mentioned that rines have medpacks?
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hmm, I expected something about the regen evolution. The passive regen is negligible...
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1927655:date=Apr 20 2012, 12:52 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Apr 20 2012, 12:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm, I expected something about the regen evolution. The passive regen is negligible...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aliens are about the same. You just have to buy everything now. Put a fancy name on it but it is still the same ol aliens.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The passive regen is negligible enough that I almost feel it's a disadvantage because it encourages bad gameplay, i.e. skulks sitting around for ages waiting for healing instead of going back to the hive. If there were no passive regen then the role of the Gorge would be all the more critical as a healer on the field.
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    I think it's fine. It's convenient for early game mopping up of damage of a stray shot, but doesn't remove the usefulness of hive/crag/gorge healing and the regen upgrade.
  • haprohapro Join Date: 2012-03-27 Member: 149492Members
    Yeah, passive regen is almost so worthless I wonder why it's there in the first place. It's probably faster to die and respawn than it is to wait for regen.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1927636:date=Apr 20 2012, 11:55 AM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Apr 20 2012, 11:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->every 1 point of armor blocks 2 damage of a rifle or axe, and even 4 damage from a shotgun or pistol. so personally, i like to retreat when i'm at medium or low health, but i hide when my health is almost full as the armor-regen will kick in rather soon. for a skulk with carapace (30 armor) thats 120 extra-health against a pistol-sniper or a shotgun! or 6 more rifle weapon0 bullets, which is a lot considering it only takes 13 to kill it at full health+full carapacearmor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That is a lot but bear in mind the limited likelihood that it is just AP you will be regenerating and then add to that the time it takes to get that and the rewards turn out to be much smaller than they are on paper. I still maintain that no skulk can significantly capitalise on innate regeneration during combat.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1927734:date=Apr 20 2012, 05:15 PM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Apr 20 2012, 05:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927734"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That is a lot but bear in mind the limited likelihood that it is just AP you will be regenerating and then add to that the time it takes to get that and the rewards turn out to be much smaller than they are on paper. I still maintain that no skulk can significantly capitalise on innate regeneration during combat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The only thing that innate regen does is make the axe take 4 hits instead of 3 to kill a skulk if the timing of the regen tick is right. :D
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The reason passive regen was added into ns1 was to make sc more viable as a first/2nd chamber. The regen is very low and worked very well.
    I don't think this is as issue in ns2 even though damage output is little bit slower. Passive regen has little impact on the gameplay, infestation heal however might need to be adjusted but I think the devs want it to give that advandage. I don't really see this as a issue though.