Cinematic Editor: bugs, tests and the future

weywey Cineastè Join Date: 2003-06-01 Member: 16910Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
edited April 2012 in Technical Support
So I <a href="http://youtu.be/eXAPl3t4PIc" target="_blank">played around</a> in the Cinematic Editor, and it's pretty awesome! But still very rough, so what's the plan on it? Is there still hope for updates? Not sure if bugreports or feedback are welcome, but I'm just going to list some things that I encountered:

<ul><li>huffyuv as codec crashes the program</li><li>uncompressed avi works, but it creates corrupted file index if files get very big. can be recovered though, so more of an annoyance</li><li>there are a lot of crashes. Mostly related to selection and deletion of different objects</li><li>The keyframe interpolation with splines is neat. But: It seems that the boundary conditions for the splines have been set so that derivative of them is 0 at the keyframes. Hence the stop at every keyframe. It would be much smoother if that condition would be set so that the derivatives are merely identical at the keyframes, so that a smooth path will be generated. I've done this with b-splines to generate some of the camera movements for the NS1 3.0 trailer. The editor info says "KB Splines", which google turns up as "Kochanek–Bartels spline". I haven't worked with those, but I'm sure that's possible</li><li>I haven't been able to get models to animate. Neither via the Actor, nor the View Model things.</li><li>Skyboxes work, but only if you set them up manually. It would be nice if the default ones were to be loaded automatically for the maps</li><li>The lights and particles seem buggy too, at least I had some random disappearing/flickering in the renders</li><li>some basic features would be nice: A way to edit keyframe time and values manually (instead of dragging them around). Adjustable movement speed would be helpful, too</li></ul>

Comments

• DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1931006:date=Apr 28 2012, 10:59 AM:name=wey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wey @ Apr 28 2012, 10:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931006"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I <a href="http://youtu.be/eXAPl3t4PIc" target="_blank">played around</a> in the Cinematic Editor, and it's pretty awesome! But still very rough, so what's the plan on it? Is there still hope for updates? Not sure if bugreports or feedback are welcome, but I'm just going to list some things that I encountered:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Afaik, the Cinematic Editor was literally developed in parallel to the first time it was used. There are many other things with high priorities (performance), so I wouldn't bet on an update for a long time.