Marine Commander Notifications

Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
edited May 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Where did they go?</div>It seems that marine commander is either not being notified about the power node going down or other base structures like observatory being attacked, or the notifications are ineffective. It is difficult to notice because structures just flash but are the same color. It is not very clear.

Given the ridiculous nature of the onos/powernode problem this makes the game even worse for marines.

Or am I just being sensitive?

Comments

• paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    On the topic of commander notifications, is it just me or does hitting spacebar to jump to med/ammo requests not work anymore? It hasn't worked for a few patches for me and it really sucks.
  • CuddlyCombineCuddlyCombine Join Date: 2012-03-30 Member: 149684Members
    I think you're being sensitive.

You get notifications on the minimap if your structure are being attacked - they flash. I think that's enough.

Besides, if you've got something in your base chewing on the power, then it's your job to get your team's ###### together and get rid of the problem. Build turrets, mine it up, surround it with armories - the possibilities are (not really) endless. If the aliens are continually bringing down the power and you're unable to stop them, then the commander, or his team, is lacking in performance.
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1937394:date=May 19 2012, 12:46 PM:name=CuddlyCombine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CuddlyCombine @ May 19 2012, 12:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937394"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you're being sensitive.

You get notifications on the minimap if your structure are being attacked - they flash. I think that's enough.

Besides, if you've got something in your base chewing on the power, then it's your job to get your team's ###### together and get rid of the problem. Build turrets, mine it up, <u><b>surround it with armories - the </b></u>possibilities are (not really) endless. If the aliens are continually bringing down the power and you're unable to stop them, then the commander, or his team, is lacking in performance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is this a troll? I'm asking because you seem to not understand the problem and also suggest I surround my power node with armories like that is a viable thing to do.

And turrets? Mines? I'm talking about when 1 onos kills the power node in about 20 seconds, and you don't realize it until its too late.

Observatories go down even quicker. Two skulks kill that in probably 10 seconds or less.

4 other players have noticed that they are unaware when I personally destroy their power nodes as Onos.

There is something wrong.
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1937404:date=May 19 2012, 03:01 PM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ May 19 2012, 03:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937404"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is this a troll? I'm asking because you seem to not understand the problem and also suggest I surround my power node with armories like that is a viable thing to do.

And turrets? Mines? I'm talking about when 1 onos kills the power node in about 20 seconds, and you don't realize it until its too late.

Observatories go down even quicker. Two skulks kill that in probably 10 seconds or less.

4 other players have noticed that they are unaware when I personally destroy their power nodes as Onos.

There is something wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think you read my post, or if you did, you didn't do it thoroughly enough.

I understand what you're saying. You think power nodes need to be buffed, or Onos nerfed. But I disagree. As I said before, if there's something attacking your power node, stop it from doing so. Onos die very quickly to a well-coordinated team.

Buildings are supposed to be weak. If marines are playing well, aliens won't be able to get close to the marine base. If they manage to slip inside, it's your priority to keep them off. Don't ask for buffed buildings.

And it should be mentioned that armory-blocking is an effective tactic if used properly. Blocking off a node with an armory can add a good 10-second buffer before attackers can get to the power node.

EDIT, because I feel like you might bring this up: power nodes in vulnerable locations is *not* something that's "unbalanced'. The Node mechanic is supposed to make marines weaker and emphasize coordination.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2012
    Nothing is reported regarding bugged notifications. That being said i have had this experience before, but could not tell if it was really my fault for not hearing it over the chaos or if there really was a lack of notification.

If you can reproduce the steps (video is the best) i'd be happy to report it, because i can't seem to. :-/

(The latest demo recorder that came in this patch is the best method for taking video now, over fraps as there's no performance loss. lower footprint and contains all the network data etc.)
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118547" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=118547</a>
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1937439:date=May 19 2012, 02:05 PM:name=CuddlyCombine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CuddlyCombine @ May 19 2012, 02:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937439"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think you read my post, or if you did, you didn't do it thoroughly enough.

I understand what you're saying. You think power nodes need to be buffed, or Onos nerfed. But I disagree. As I said before, if there's something attacking your power node, stop it from doing so. Onos die very quickly to a well-coordinated team.

Buildings are supposed to be weak. If marines are playing well, aliens won't be able to get close to the marine base. If they manage to slip inside, it's your priority to keep them off. Don't ask for buffed buildings.

And it should be mentioned that armory-blocking is an effective tactic if used properly. Blocking off a node with an armory can add a good 10-second buffer before attackers can get to the power node.

EDIT, because I feel like you might bring this up: power nodes in vulnerable locations is *not* something that's "unbalanced'. The Node mechanic is supposed to make marines weaker and emphasize coordination.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No.

I'm saying that Marine Commander cannot respond to onos attacking power node, or skulks attacking observatory, because they are only made aware of this situation when it is too late.

This is very simple.

Also you said "the node mechanic is supposed to..." well guess what it doesn't. The game right now is screwed up and needs a fix. If you disagree with that you're wrong. If you agree with that then there is no reason to argue with me.

Let me address each of this horribly wrong points.

First, why should marinese have to build armories to protect the power node? Do you realize how that cripples marine economy more? If not, please play the game for 500 hours like I have.

Second, you talk about how aliens should not be able to "Slip past marine defenses into base." You must be playing on Noob servers or something. The limit to turrets is 4, and each costs 10 resources, If you want turrets and multiple armories in base like you are suggesting, along with power packs, how the flying **** are you supposed to get upgrades or tech?

I'm definitely right, no point in arguing with me, so don't even try. It's just how it is. Sorry if you or anyone else doesn't like it, but all these points you bring up are not based in reality. I am talking about the ACTUAL game as it ACTUALLY plays, you are talking about theoretical ideas of how its SUPPOSED to work.

I have 510 hours of play time. Nothing more needs to be said.
    <!--quoteo(post=1937469:date=May 19 2012, 05:13 PM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ May 19 2012, 05:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937469"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No.

I'm saying that Marine Commander cannot respond to onos attacking power node, or skulks attacking observatory, because they are only made aware of this situation when it is too late.

This is very simple.

Also you said "the node mechanic is supposed to..." well guess what it doesn't. The game right now is screwed up and needs a fix. If you disagree with that you're wrong. If you agree with that then there is no reason to argue with me.

Let me address each of this horribly wrong points.

First, why should marinese have to build armories to protect the power node? Do you realize how that cripples marine economy more? If not, please play the game for 500 hours like I have.

Second, you talk about how aliens should not be able to "Slip past marine defenses into base." You must be playing on Noob servers or something. The limit to turrets is 4, and each costs 10 resources, If you want turrets and multiple armories in base like you are suggesting, along with power packs, how the flying **** are you supposed to get upgrades or tech?

I'm definitely right, no point in arguing with me, so don't even try. It's just how it is. Sorry if you or anyone else doesn't like it, but all these points you bring up are not based in reality. I am talking about the ACTUAL game as it ACTUALLY plays, you are talking about theoretical ideas of how its SUPPOSED to work.

I have 510 hours of play time. Nothing more needs to be said.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh, dear. Let's go through some basics:

<!--quoteo(post=1937469:date=May 19 2012, 05:13 PM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ May 19 2012, 05:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937469"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game right now is screwed up and needs a fix. If you disagree with that you're wrong. If you agree with that then there is no reason to argue with me.

If not, please play the game for 500 hours like I have.

I have 510 hours of play time. Nothing more needs to be said.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks to the magic of the Internet (along with a few thousand years of intellectual progress), I've managed to find you <a href="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinion" target="_blank">this</a> handy guide at why the above is not a valid standpoint. You'll find that "you're right and I'm wrong" doesn't hold much water outside of elementary school.

And no, I am not trolling or flaming you - I'm just being honest. You cannot hope to win arguments by saying "I'm right and everybody who disagrees is wrong".

Now that we're through with that, let's be civil and go back to the topic at hand.

Armories - one does not *have* to build them. It's just one of your many courses of action. If you don't notice that your power is going down, tough - pay more attention. There are already notifications in place.

Turrets - build one, build four, whatever. Whether or not the strategy is viable during a game isn't the point - it can help keep aliens off your power node. I'm not building you a plan to fortify your base while taking down three hives, I'm just saying - turrets do work. Same with mines.

I feel like I've typed too much on this matter, because it's really simple. If aliens are taking down a comm's power, it's because the comm and/or his team aren't taking the adequate measures to keep aliens out. Whether it involves superior map control, pressuring the alien hive, turrets, or armories, an alien on your power means you're not doing enough. Likewise, if you don't notice the flashing icon on your minimap, that's a shame.

NS2 is a fast-paced game with fast-paced mechanics. The power node mechanic is fine as it is. And yes, that is only an opinion.
  • GirTurkeyGirTurkey Join Date: 2005-03-03 Member: 43040Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1937545:date=May 19 2012, 10:00 PM:name=CuddlyCombine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CuddlyCombine @ May 19 2012, 10:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937545"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Armories - one does not *have* to build them. It's just one of your many courses of action. If you don't notice that your power is going down, tough - pay more attention. There are already notifications in place.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, that's what this whole thread is about. The notifications aren't coming through, there is a bug and he is not getting notifications, I've noticed the same thing.

Master Blaster is then going on to say that, If notifications aren't working (which they are not) then its nearly impossible to stop an onos rush in to base to kill the power/observatory, because they are so weak and vulnerable that they die before it being noticed.

I am not expecting that my notifications will not work, so I don't prepare for that course of action. I expect the notifications to work, then they don't, then I am screwed when commanding.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1937388:date=May 19 2012, 11:33 AM:name=paradoxum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paradoxum @ May 19 2012, 11:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937388"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the topic of commander notifications, is it just me or does hitting spacebar to jump to med/ammo requests not work anymore? It hasn't worked for a few patches for me and it really sucks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

anyone? spacebar to jump to med/ammo requests still isn't working for me...
  • Albe23Albe23 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149272Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1937740:date=May 20 2012, 02:40 PM:name=paradoxum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paradoxum @ May 20 2012, 02:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->anyone? spacebar to jump to med/ammo requests still isn't working for me...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LOL, you are awesome! I didn't even know that was a feature. So,I will try it out and let you know.....
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1937740:date=May 21 2012, 04:40 AM:name=paradoxum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paradoxum @ May 21 2012, 04:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->anyone? spacebar to jump to med/ammo requests still isn't working for me...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not been working for a long time for me as well, not just med/ammo but notifications in general aren't jumped to with space.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    After a 2nd quick test, i still cant reproduce this.

If medpack or ammo is requested too soon from a previous request the visual notification doesnt show up for spamming reasons, but you can still hear the request and space works.
    Other than that, i see and hear the request everytime and i can jump to the location with spacebar.

<i>This does not mean the bug isn't occuring though.</i>

Please help reproduce this step by using the demo recorder built into the game, see my link above in the previous post for instructions. Using a demo to capture this bug will lead to it getting solved asap, so if you can, please do.
    Thanks!
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    He also means 'building being attacked' notification IronHorse...