Computer issues - crash during Windows boot

A_Boojum_SnarkA_Boojum_Snark Join Date: 2003-09-07 Member: 20628Members
I've got an old machine that crashes and restarts during the Windows boot process, but not always. It always does eventually make it through and get to the login screen, but it will take anywhere from no crashes to a half hour or so (I tend to just leave it and walk away) of crash-and-repeat cycles before it does.

So far I have left memtest86 run overnight which found no errors. Multiple chkdsk runs (done from a successful boot and scheduling it for next restart) usually don't any errors, though occasionally the crash will mess up an index that gets repaired during the boot up chkdsk.
When it crashes during a safe mode boot it actually shows an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error which I looked into and traced to occur during the loading of hal.sys, which I restored from the recovery console though I didn't expect it to help, and it didn't.

It only ever crashes during the boot up, never during use once it is up and running. If it was a hardware/drive fault, or the PSU going bad, I would expect it to also crash at other times or when under high load, but nope.

I could reinstall Windows, but if it actually is a hardware issue that'd be a waste of time. I'm out of ideas and google isn't being very helpful. Anyone know what's up?

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Try a BIOS upgrade first. If nothing, do a full format. If it's still giving you IRC_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL then it's probably your Mobo.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    Yep, last time I had a chronic IRQL_blah blah problem it was similar to as you described - though not during boot it would crash under some very specific circumstances, and I eventually traced it to a heat-damaged Northbridge.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Try using this tool if it's making dumps as well (might not if on boot) <a href="http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html" target="_blank">http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html</a>

Might give you more information to work with.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sounds familiar....but I barely remember what the reason for this was in my System..
    My motherboard once had a problem - defunct Caps. The Crashes occurred whenever I challenged the computer with hard-drive work (lots of copying). Later any long-ish access to the hard drive was punished with a crash+shut down. Finally I couldn't boot the system because it was crashing while loading. I replaced 2 caps and the MoBo started working again.

Another problem occurred when I tried to boot windows after replacing a motherboard without reinstalling windows or preparing it in any way. The drivers were the problem in this case and I couldn't find another solution than just reinstalling.

I believe though that the irql-error occurred in the first case. So you might check your hardware. Aside from my story your crash-behaviour sounds like a hardware defect to me. It's worth checking though before you buy a new board.
  • A_Boojum_SnarkA_Boojum_Snark Join Date: 2003-09-07 Member: 20628Members
    BlueScreenView is showing a dump nearly every day that it was booted, though only one per day despite numerous crashes. There are several different errors aside from the IRQL one, which makes the faulty motherboard sound more likely. If that's the case I'm not sure if I want to bother trying a BIOS upgrade, as I'd rather leave "functional" than risk bricking it with crash during flashing. It might just be time to let it die with all the issue it has had, but I'll poke around at the errors when I have time and take a look at the mobo for signs of failure. Even if it is done for I can't help but want to know what the problem is.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    edited May 2012
    Get a PC check boot disc and do a full scan, it tests the majority of your hardware and usually weeds out the problem. If it kicks off during testing, you have a power/memory/motherboard/thermal/CPU problem and you'll need to diagnose further.
  • Not FlayraNot Flayra Join Date: 2012-05-18 Member: 152282Members
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?

0118999881999119725 3

On a more serious note, how old is the hardware? Could be an issue if it was from that awkward transitional phase when PnP was just getting started and didn't work properly.
    As far as disk diagnostics go, I still have yet to find any program superior to SpinRite for fault testing. The built-in chkdsk is... lacking, to put it nicely.

Failing all else? Linux, turn it into a mailserver or fileserver that you never ever ever turn off except for kernel upgrades. Then install KSplice so you never ever ever <i>ever</i> turn it off.