[208] Complete Computer Shut Down

nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Overheating?!</div>Hi Guys,

Since this build I experience that my laptop will shut down completely after 5 mins in the game( So no bluescreen or NS2 crash. The computer is switched off after it happens). This did not ever happen before.
I think my laptop is heating up a lot more since this build, so my guess is that the laptop does it to avoid overheating.
I write this, as it might be dangerous for other players (notebook users).
However I have no hope that this will be fixed since it seems that I am the only person that is experiencing it. ^^
Any suggestions are appreciated!

I own a HP G62 with i5M460 @2.53GHz, 4GB of RAM, a ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470 and a 128GB Crucial SSD. The System is running an up to date Windows 7 Professional

Comments

• endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Definitely install some temperature monitoring programs, that can write to a log file so next time it happens you can see what is overheating.

Another option is you can run some programs which will intentionally stress out your components, so you can make it happen quicker. An example is Furmark, it will heat your gfx card very quickly. A warning, it can damage your card so read about it first.

If it was me, I would pull the laptop apart and clean the dust from the vents, but it really depends on how confident you are at putting it back together.
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    Thanks for this input. I will try it out, especially the monitoring is a good idea.
    However I am pretty sure it has to do with the recent update of ns2 from build 207 to build 208. It never happend before, also not in other programs, but it happend in two out of two games in 208.
    Maybe I will take a break from ns2, I just dont want my computer to get damaged...
    I will check what the temperature is like in normal mode and under medium load like streaming videos or playing other games.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2012
    Agreed, grab a temp program and check your temperature of your CPU. Because NS2 is mostly CPU bound, it will be pushing your CPU to it's limit. If you're PC has thermal issues like say, dust in the fans/heat-sink it would be worth giving it a clean out.

Grab a can of compressed air, and blow it into your fans/air vents. People often forget with laptops to clean their fans, and they're even more susceptible to dust blocking the vents.
  • skycreationsskycreations Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152451Members
    nUfl0w,

The G6X series from HP has over heating issues. I would suggest doing some general maintenance (compressed air to clean out dust) on your laptop and consider getting a cooling pad for when you decide to use the laptop under heavy loads such as NS2. If your still having issues let us know and we can look at scoping out the problem abroad.

Good luck
  • emilemil Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149330Members
    well, since 208 i had also 3 times bluescreens now, had to restart computer. Before, I never had a bluescreen with ns2.

I overclocked (since 205), but temperature are quite ok (51' C)

CPU Intel E7200
    Radeon 4800 Saphire
    2 GB ram,

I will disable overclocking and continue watching if it´s still instabil.
  • skycreationsskycreations Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152451Members
    emil,

Just because the temperatures are stable doesn't meant the settings you have are stable. NS2 would make a great Overclocking stress test tool because of how in demand it is of both CPU and GPU. BSoD is a strong indicator that your hardware is the culprit. Good luck seeing if its the overclock and let us know!
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    put your vacuum to the cpu exhaust and give it its 10-20 seconds ride of its life :P

that fixed it for me.

gl
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    I am in China right now. They dont have vacuum cleaner. Since I will go back to Germany in July I also dont want to invest in a cooling pad that I can not take with me (too much luggage). I will try to find a can of compressed air. Though I never was a friend of spraying something with high pressure on micro electronics :>
  • emilemil Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149330Members
    yes, ns2 heats my "muggen2" cooler quite up. well, played several hours without overclocking now and no crash , so assume it´s my hardware. Thanks for ur answers