Alien Commander Idea

RisingSunRisingSun RisingCalifornia Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited June 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Linked more to the chambers and upgrades s/he picks</div>I would like to see more of a difference between the two commanders than already exist. Marine Comm is already pretty solid and is a more hands on Comm (Med Packs, Ammo, Dropping support structures where needed, power nodes, nano shields, and much more) and the Alien Khamm is more hands off and "tend his/her garden". So why not increase the differences between the two. I am proposing UWE makes it so the type of chamber/upgrades the Alien Khamm chooses has a direct effect on how the Khamm commands. Below is an explanation of how each chamber and upgrade accomplish this goal.

Once the upgrade is researched it gives the comm a unique ability and incentive to upgrade for themselves as well as the team. It also gives each chamber chosen a unique Comming flavor.

<b>Crag Hive</b>

This hive, through its abilities, would make the comm more of a fortress commander. Their play would be geared toward expanding territory steadily and with abilities to support this.

<u>Regen</u>

An ability much like nutrient mist but green and heals structures only. This heal would be a HoT (heal over time) that would tick for 5 health every second for 10 seconds (rough numbers here)

<u>Carapace</u>

All Structures receive an armor bonus making every structure dropped by the comm have more armor.

<b>Shade Hive</b>

This is the subterfuge Comm. Winning with cunning and trickery.

<u>Camouflage[/size]</u>

Give your drifters the ability to Cloak near by units within 10yds.

<u>Silence</u>

Mutes your mic. (not really sure with this one.)

<b>Shift Hive</b>

This is an expansion heavy comm. Move out and dominate the map fast. Less concerned with losing units since they could build them back quickly.

<u>Celerity</u>

Infestation spread and structures mature faster but do no build faster.

<u>Hyper-mutation</u>

At a loss.

<u>Multiple Hives</u>

Once second hive is created, it would be nice to be able to switch "modes" that would of course need a cool down. Say 1-2 mins once the other Chamber is chosen which unlocks those set of skills and locks the previous.

Example: Crag Hive chosen: Regen and Carapace gained. Shift Hive built. Shift Hive activated. Crag hive locked for 1-2 minutes. Gain: Celerity and Hyper Mutation. Locks out Regen and Carapace. 

In the end this is a very rough idea but i want the idea out there more than the things i listed. <i>I would love to see the comm's play style differ from chamber to chamber</i> other than just using that single chamber and giving his team cool abilities. Throwing this idea straight into the game would be foolish and i know this. It would take restructuring and most of the ideas are bland and easy conclusions. Anyone have more creative options?

Additionally you could have each have a down side as well. Crag gives more armor but slower build time. Shift is fast but weaker. Shade more... noticeable? Help me out =)

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited June 2012
    I think the silence thing (mutes mic) would only be effective versus me. Cos im crayzay.
    Anyway good ideas. not sure once again if they will ever implement the good ideas of the community.
    Cos they are too busy trying to make everything one of 2 things
    ###### or op.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1942799:date=Jun 11 2012, 09:43 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Jun 11 2012, 09:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u>Silence</u>

Mutes your mic. (not really sure with this one.)
    ----------------
    <u>Hyper-mutation</u>

At a loss.
    ----------------
    In the end this is a very rough idea but i want the idea out there more than the things i listed. <i>I would love to see the comm's play style differ from chamber to chamber</i> other than just using that single chamber and giving his team cool abilities. Throwing this idea straight into the game would be foolish and i know this. It would take restructuring and most of the ideas are bland and easy conclusions. Anyone have more creative options?

Additionally you could have each have a down side as well. Crag gives more armor but slower build time. Shift is fast but weaker. Shade more... noticeable? Help me out =)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is an awesome idea, kinda like Diablo 2's Paladin Auras -> the Aura used would depend on the play style of the Paladin, as well as the current situation.

I would love to see something to this extent, I especially liked that you didn't suggest that gaining new upgrades doesn't just add that ability, but that they must be switched between with a CD - maybe lower the CD to 30 seconds or so? Personally I think "Energy" should be brought back and that a cost of Energy could be taken, but that's neither here nor there.

I don't really understand your Silence buff unless its a troll comment on yourself : ). Why not let Silence give the Khamm the ability to focus sounds at Marines (like that strange sound Marines hear on infestation), or twist it more towards removing some vision - like darkening a room and reducing a Marine's flashlight distance - for a limited time.

To give Hyper-Mutation a use, you could make it mature structures faster, and change Celerity to be "Faster infestation spread, and increase Kharaan speed on infestation by 5%". Possibly also give HM a decrease cost of structure upgrades (like Whip to Bombard whip) by 10-20%.

Definitely also like your "Downside" ideas, but I'm thinking they could be pushed a little more to be "Passives" which are both positive and negative and would be available as long as you have a hive of that type. Here's my suggestions on them, while in the specified mode these would apply at all times - <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->negatives in red<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->, <!--coloro:#98FB98--><span style="color:#98FB98"><!--/coloro-->positives in green<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->:

Crag:
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->Build time of all structures Increased by 10%<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#98FB98--><span style="color:#98FB98"><!--/coloro-->All structures built in this mode would have an extra 10% health and armor (permanent)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Shade:
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->Mature time of all structures Increased by 10%<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#98FB98--><span style="color:#98FB98"><!--/coloro-->Shade cost reduced by 25%, radius is increased by 25%, and provide their invisibility twice as fast<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#98FB98--><span style="color:#98FB98"><!--/coloro-->Marine Scans conducted over infested areas only cover 75% their normal radius, and are dissipated twice as fast<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Shift:
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->All structures built in this mode would have 10% less health and armor (permanent)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#98FB98--><span style="color:#98FB98"><!--/coloro-->Build time of all structures Decreased by 10%<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Just thinking further along these lines, I think the "Passives" should be just that - but the abilities gained from the various upgrades should all be "Actives" meaning the Khamm must do something to use them. Like your suggestion for a Regen drop, that's a good one. The Drifter Camouflage ability is really pushing the concept of Active, but I think its close enough - the Khamm still has to place them.

With this in mind, the Carapace ability could be either A)while in Crag Mode, all structures have more armor; or B) while in Crag Mode, Drifters provide additional armor to structures in a radius around them. The point of this would be to promote Drifter usage similar to the Camouflage ability above.

Celerity and Hyper-Mutation would need to be changed as well: Celerity could be a trigger-able to make all Kharaa visible on screen move faster for a duration; while Hyper-Mutation could force a selected structure to rapidly mature.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1942799:date=Jun 11 2012, 09:43 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Jun 11 2012, 09:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u>Hyper-mutation</u>

At a loss.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Could provide faster respawns for all Kharaa by 5 seconds or so, and a 15% decrease in cost of all lifeforms.