Combat Mode Relaunch

Comments

• JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Fixed the bugs, added single railgun exos and currently disabled babblers and gorge tunnles (until we know how we include them),
    hope greeds can upload it soon to workshop.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Great job! I didn't expect you to fix everything so fast. If it's uploaded by tomorrow I'm hoping to get some map testing in.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    If you want just to test it, you can also download the source from github,
    extract it to your NaturalSelection2 folder and start the game with -game Ns2Combat
    Here's the source:
    https://github.com/AlexHayton/NS2Combat/archive/master.zip
    OK Combat is now live on steam, @ServerOperators pls update the version.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    Thanks to some stoic efforts by JimWest who has managed to get all the bugs iced in record time, we've just published a new version of Combat this morning. It includes Railgun exos and most of the other features that came with the Gorgeous update. Expect to see it rolling out onto servers pretty soon!
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Yes! Awesome work.
    There's a bug with some upgrades which freezes aliens at 0% in the evolving process. If they kill in console, they'll still be stuck to the spot when they respawn. Solution is to rr then rejoin.
  • SnipoSnipo Join Date: 2004-04-26 Member: 28234Members, Constellation
    server ops are having problem with this update... please fix it there is only 1 server running the new patch and its in the UK!
    WHat errors do you get? I played yesterday in the evening on a german combat server without problems, and i can open a server and join it.
    Jim, there is a bug when you evolve camo it will keep you an egg at 0%. I assume new camo broke it.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Is there any plans to create a config file so that server operators can begin to experiment with different settings. For example things like:
    Max points
    xp curve
    point requirement for things
    restrictions such as how many and if players can get X at all
    any update on the fix for ns2stats? i haven't seen any active combat servers. before the gorge update there were quite a few active.
    We can't fix Ns2stats.
    The problem is that ns2stats is using a modifed Player.lua (instead of a hooked one) so the mod is loaded at a wrong time when acting with combat.
    They modified other files, too, so the engine loads the wrong ones, sometimes doesnt load our hooks and thats why it crashes, the main files are gonna be loaded before
    player class is loaded , thats why marine etc. cant be loaded cause the base class is undefined.

edited March 2013
    yay latest update fixed the commander error. thanks jim
    edited March 2013
    When you join the server and play rine, is there a "Combat Mode" instead of the "No Commander" text?
    There are 2 servers nearly full (running without problems):

TeamWork and Tactics Uk Combat
    KingKahunaGames.com Hive 7 Combat
  • unter_hosenunter_hosen Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11858Members, Constellation
    Hey Jim

The combat mod is just damn awesome. I know this is not your fault, but 24 man RAPES the CPU to pieces (due to gorgeous) and also (this is not your fault) some maps do not work, I think its co_down.

Happy to provide any logs you need for any issues in the future.
  • unter_hosenunter_hosen Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11858Members, Constellation
    Jim

Combat works..... sort of

Every now and then the server console spazzes a load of text about 200 miles per hour and then its ok again.

The web admin part no longer works with 241.

Unter
    That happens when someone buys camo upgrade.
    Its a bug that is fixed but not on workshop, greeds will upload it soon (he actually got internet problems).
    edited March 2013
    I'm locked in a battle between Windows 7 64-bit and Netgear's atrocious wireless driver support... Finally got my broadband switched on but I can't get my workstation connected to it... Hopefully I can sort it out today or tomorrow!

I could publish from another machine but I always get publish failed errors... I will try and debug that too at some point...
    Well as said before, the mod is awesome. Hope you get your stuff sorted out soon.

I suspect you need to disable one of the "features" on your wireless card as your router is not agreeing with it.

Had that problem at work with laptops that had a chipset made by Atheros.
    edited March 2013
    Very strange... I'm still fighting with the wifi on my development machine, but I tried publishing from the server again with WireShark monitoring the connection and it allowed me to publish this time... The mod is updated!

Note that Jim is the actual developer behind all of these changes...

Changelog
    • Added railguns for marines and other Gorgeous features
    • Fixed a bug where buying camo half-crashes the server
    • Upgraded ExtraEntities to use sewlek's framework. Should be in line with the Extra Entities mod itself now.
    • Upped the version number to 3.3
    Are you planning to add babblers?
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The other day I enabled Combat Mode on a server, but then the webadmin borked and we could only play official NS2 maps from the map cycle. Surprisingly, they were some of the most fun games of Combat I've ever had, and I urge everyone to try it. \o/
  • FaustFaust Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32852Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Has the random "no upgrades" for aliens bug been fixed yet, or is the SN combat server just running an old version of this mod?
    No haven't fixed that yet, couldn't find the problem yet.
    Another update today!

Changelog
    • Added babblers
    • Fixed a bug where you don't get your upgrades back after respawn
    • Updated embedded ExtraEntitiesMod to the latest version
    Thanks mate. Both Team Work And Tactics Servers updated :)
    edited March 2013
    Some other fixes / updates that came with the patch:
    - Railguns can now also get Weapon Upgrades
    - Onos is now as strong again as it is in Ns2
    - And rines get xp for killing babblers (5 per babbler)
    Guys something went wrong with the patch, it isn't live yet,
    played some round before and it was the old problem, seems like it was a publish bug.
    This might be the wrong place for this but I'm not sure where is good:

How do we get more combat servers running ns2stats? I'd really like to have some idea of what balance is looking like, particularly on a map by map basis, but no combat servers have ran ns2stats since the last big patch.