fps problems still remains?

snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
hi, i got still fps problems, even on awfull. my specs:
intel core i5 760
Geforce 560GTX
8 GB DDR3 RAM
i play on 1920x1080

i thought they fixed the fps issues. sometimes i run at 20fps mostly at 45. for example other games with frostbite2 engine are running fine with 60-70fps on high quality settings.

Comments

• KaptajnKLOKaptajnKLO Join Date: 2012-06-25 Member: 153658Members
    No they haven't fixed the fps problems and they have never claimed that. They have made improvements up until now, but there is still alot for them to do in that department. They are promising that the game will run great at launch, so you'll just have to wait to be able to play it with a decent fps.
  • [HEI] Spade[HEI] Spade Join Date: 2012-04-28 Member: 151223Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1953210:date=Jul 23 2012, 02:48 PM:name=snooops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooops @ Jul 23 2012, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i thought they fixed the fps issues. sometimes i run at 20fps mostly at 45. for example other games with frostbite2 engine are running fine with 60-70fps on high quality settings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As it is said on the last changelog, the performance are not perfect, but they have been improved a lot!

And please, PLEASE, stop comparing released games and NS2 for the moment, it is still a BETA!
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Server performance still needs to increase by a factor of 3x for the game to be successful....
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1953213:date=Jul 23 2012, 03:17 PM:name=[HEI]Spade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([HEI]Spade @ Jul 23 2012, 03:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953213"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    And please, PLEASE, stop comparing released games and NS2 for the moment, it is still a BETA!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do you think the horrible performance will be magically solved in 1-2 months? Ha
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Noone who knows a few of the technical details expects magic, but it's not impossible to have at least acceptable client performance at release. I'm still worried about server performance, but we'll see how it turns out.

Concerning Frostbite 2: They had more engine developers on that thing than UWE has total employees. They also don't have any modding capabilities and have pre-baked lighting instead of everything being fully dynamic. Both of these points have a huge impact on the performance of NS2, though the pure graphics part of the game runs decently fast.
    I personally think the decision to go for 100% Lua gameplay code wasn't their best choice since it created more problems than it solved, even though it benefited me personally and other modders (and the mods partly benefited UWE). Although, going the other route of moddability and providing extra scripting capabilities and lots of tools on top of a completely closed engine would have been too much work for a small team I suppose.
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    You don't have to play on awful. The settings don't actually increase or decrease your fps atm unless your gpu is old. You'd get a sizeable increase in fps if you OC your CPU but honestly its nowhere near worth it for this game.
  • t0net0ne Join Date: 2012-07-15 Member: 154142Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1953210:date=Jul 23 2012, 08:48 AM:name=snooops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooops @ Jul 23 2012, 08:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hi, i got still fps problems, even on awfull. my specs:
    intel core i5 760
    Geforce 560GTX
    8 GB DDR3 RAM
    i play on 1920x1080

i thought they fixed the fps issues. sometimes i run at 20fps mostly at 45. for example other games with frostbite2 engine are running fine with 60-70fps on high quality settings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you have a good system. I have a phemom II x4 955 at 3.2ghz with an ati 4870, which is like a 2 year old video card and I get 50 or more fps during games. the only comparable diffierence I see is that I am running ati graphics and you are running nvidia.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    Everyone is always saying that nvidea graphics are better for ns2 but I use amd/ati. I get 50 fps when running stock with my 2500k, but I get 76fps when overclocked to 4.5ghz. Still though, your processor should do better than that at stock. You have a good system so I can't imagine hardware being to much of a limiting factor. Do you have a lot of programs running in the background? Like maybe an antivirus scan?
  • twincannontwincannon Join Date: 2011-06-14 Member: 104459Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1953226:date=Jul 23 2012, 10:25 AM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ Jul 23 2012, 10:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you think the horrible performance will be magically solved in 1-2 months? Ha<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Given some of the lines in the most recent patch notes I don't think it's out of the question tbh. It sounds like they have a lot of really obvious stuff left to optimize. Which is good because if it was almost finished being optimized at this point I'd be much more worried.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    IMO this latest patch was a step back for client side performance but a big step for servers. Why? well a lot of stuff was moved from server side to client and a lot of peoples issues now are related to increase in traffic from the client to the server (CHOKE) you will notice that when coming into contact with multiple items your choke will increase a lot and cause a large drop in performance and other things since the communication between you and the server is strained.

As people have said above, its still BETA. I just laugh at the people that say not much has been done for performance, uh? did you play this game last year? soooooo much has been done in that time and a firm like UWE with less than 10 people under the hood is simply amazing for what they have accomplished.
  • [HEI] Spade[HEI] Spade Join Date: 2012-04-28 Member: 151223Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1953260:date=Jul 23 2012, 08:01 PM:name=WasabiOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WasabiOne @ Jul 23 2012, 08:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953260"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->IMO this latest patch was a step back for client side performance but a big step for servers. Why? well a lot of stuff was moved from server side to client and a lot of peoples issues now are related to increase in traffic from the client to the server (CHOKE) you will notice that when coming into contact with multiple items your choke will increase a lot and cause a large drop in performance and other things since the communication between you and the server is strained.

As people have said above, its still BETA. I just laugh at the people that say not much has been done for performance, uh? did you play this game last year? soooooo much has been done in that time and a firm like UWE with less than 10 people under the hood is simply amazing for what they have accomplished.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you WasabiOne! :)
    I still got some freeze in early games when you join a server (hope this will be fixed asap), but perfs have been sooooooo muuuch improved!! I played alpha 2 years ago, i played last year, i played every step of the game, and i trust UWE to do the job in time! :p

@ wiry: perf improvements are on the table, there is nothing magical in it but it is not like they have 10 persons to work on it... Give it the time!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's funny that my performance was ruined when infestation was implemented. I had better fps in the alpha.
  • MangoManMangoMan Join Date: 2003-12-28 Member: 24813Members
    Yea FPS still sucks. Early on my FPS is fine.. then midgame comes and its back to ###### FPS again.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1953260:date=Jul 23 2012, 08:01 PM:name=WasabiOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WasabiOne @ Jul 23 2012, 08:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953260"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As people have said above, its still BETA. I just laugh at the people that say not much has been done for performance, uh? did you play this game last year? soooooo much has been done in that time and a firm like UWE with less than 10 people under the hood is simply amazing for what they have accomplished.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, you can look at that from two sides. Certain features have been noticeably optimized. I remember when activating atmospherics reduced my fps to the single-digit range - now it makes no difference. On the other hand, the overall performance off the game as a whole has hardly changed at all for me. Using the current default settings I get about the same fps as I did using last years default settings.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1953396:date=Jul 24 2012, 02:25 PM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Jul 24 2012, 02:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, you can look at that from two sides. Certain features have been noticeably optimized. I remember when activating atmospherics reduced my fps to the single-digit range - now it makes no difference. On the other hand, the overall performance off the game as a whole has hardly changed at all for me. Using the current default settings I get about the same fps as I did using last years default settings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This right here. I never play pvp fps with unnecessary things on my screen and havent seen any real improvement in my performance, despite having much higher clock speeds on my cpu and a more powerful gpu than a year ago. Obviously the first releases ran much worse, but after fixing the huge problems in the first alpha builds progress has been quite underwhelming in this department.
  • snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    wow thanks guys for the response :)

sry i didnt recognized the part of it isnt fixed yet, i thought it would be :)

<!--quoteo(post=1953244:date=Jul 23 2012, 04:49 PM:name=t0ne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (t0ne @ Jul 23 2012, 04:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953244"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you have a good system. I have a phemom II x4 955 at 3.2ghz with an ati 4870, which is like a 2 year old video card and I get 50 or more fps during games. the only comparable diffierence I see is that I am running ati graphics and you are running nvidia.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i got a ati 4890XT earlier and it was more terrible than with the nvidia :)

well lets hope uwe can handle this problem until release, if not... ooooooh i dont want to speech the word :D
  • Cloud KingCloud King Join Date: 2012-04-19 Member: 150746Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1953396:date=Jul 24 2012, 05:25 AM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Jul 24 2012, 05:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, you can look at that from two sides. Certain features have been noticeably optimized. I remember when activating atmospherics reduced my fps to the single-digit range - now it makes no difference. On the other hand, the overall performance off the game as a whole has hardly changed at all for me. Using the current default settings I get about the same fps as I did using last years default settings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

same here, bought this back in February and the performance is about the same. I've been trying it every patch or so and it's just too annoying to play with such bad fps

I'd like to believe that they will fix the issues but August is just around the corner, so I don't know how they'll be able to release it in good shape in the summer
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1953244:date=Jul 23 2012, 04:49 PM:name=t0ne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (t0ne @ Jul 23 2012, 04:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953244"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->an ati 4870, which is like a 2 year old video card<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    4 years old :P

However it goes to show that oldschool graphics cards can still slap some sense into games in this day and age. But yeah with what Wasabi said about stuff being offloaded to the client to ease the pressure of the servers to have a generally smoother interaction with each other. I'm now feeling the hurt with these latest patches as well on my C2D. Not to the point that I cannot play at all, but it is visibly more tanking the FPS for me.
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1953210:date=Jul 23 2012, 02:48 PM:name=snooops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooops @ Jul 23 2012, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hi, i got still fps problems, even on awfull. my specs:
    intel core i5 760
    Geforce 560GTX
    8 GB DDR3 RAM
    i play on 1920x1080

i thought they fixed the fps issues. sometimes i run at 20fps mostly at 45. for example other games with frostbite2 engine are running fine with 60-70fps on high quality settings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have a look here for FPS benchmarks with different systems: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119506&st=0" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...119506&st=0</a>

It would good if you made & added one yourself, as there are currently almost only posts of rather good / highly overclocked systems.
  • blujayblujay Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154277Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1953231:date=Jul 23 2012, 07:18 AM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Jul 23 2012, 07:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953231"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Noone who knows a few of the technical details expects magic, but it's not impossible to have at least acceptable client performance at release. I'm still worried about server performance, but we'll see how it turns out.

Concerning Frostbite 2: They had more engine developers on that thing than UWE has total employees. They also don't have any modding capabilities and have pre-baked lighting instead of everything being fully dynamic. Both of these points have a huge impact on the performance of NS2, though the pure graphics part of the game runs decently fast.
    I personally think the decision to go for 100% Lua gameplay code wasn't their best choice since it created more problems than it solved, even though it benefited me personally and other modders (and the mods partly benefited UWE). Although, going the other route of moddability and providing extra scripting capabilities and lots of tools on top of a completely closed engine would have been too much work for a small team I suppose.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The people who designed Frostbite have more people <i>delivering them coffee</i> than all of Unknown Worlds.