Onos vs jetpacks

Core DumpCore Dump Join Date: 2011-07-11 Member: 109768Members
The onos really becomes almost useless when jetpacks come into play. A decent jper can run circles around them.

I am more afraid of skulks when I have a jp then onos. Something needs to change.

Comments

• deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    This is the way it's supposed to be. The jetpack is the counter to the onos.
  • Core DumpCore Dump Join Date: 2011-07-11 Member: 109768Members
    So the 75 res life form is countered by a 10 res jp?

What is the counter to the jp? The Lerk? Hardly. Its the only lifeform that isnt a joke against it.
  • ShadrougeShadrouge Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154833Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960987:date=Aug 11 2012, 04:21 PM:name=Core Dump)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Core Dump @ Aug 11 2012, 04:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960987"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So the 75 res life form is countered by a 10 res jp?

What is the counter to the jp? The Lerk? Hardly. Its the only lifeform that isnt a joke against it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hmm, I thought JPs were sort of counter to Onos too... (Or alien movement in general, really) just in that you can avoid them much easier because they'll usually gore you pretty quickly. Does stomp work against airborn jetpackers?

Jetpack is really hard to hit with anything for me, though I'm just not really a good shot at the moment, though lerks, leaping skulks, and spitting gorges seem to have a better chance of doing damage than an Onos should (unless stomp catches them maybe).

Onos are good for drawing fire, because often the whole team will focus fire on an Onos and overlook skulks or gorges bilebombing a base, and they seem to do strong damage against marines they do manage to hit, but otherwise might be good for trampling over power nodes and command stations if they don't happen to draw the whole teams fire.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The onos isn't meant to chase down jetpackers, it's supposed to be a siege type unit. The onos is much more effective when he attacks entrenched marine positions with other lifeforms. The onos dominates ground marines via stomp and does a huge amount of damage versus builds like the powernode. Other lifeforms distract while the onos rushes a phasegate or power node and that's how aliens break entrenched marine positions.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Other lifeforms distract while the onos rushes a phasegate or power node and that's how aliens break entrenched marine positions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I find it to be the other way around. Find someone who wants to blow 75 res down the drain to distract the marines for 10 seconds while a gorge or two bile bomb down the power node.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fades are very good against jetpackers
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960994:date=Aug 11 2012, 02:50 AM:name=james888)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (james888 @ Aug 11 2012, 02:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960994"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fades are very good against jetpackers<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's a shame it takes 4 swipes to kill a jet packer with a3.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1960987:date=Aug 11 2012, 08:21 AM:name=Core Dump)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Core Dump @ Aug 11 2012, 08:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960987"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So the 75 res life form is countered by a 10 res jp?

What is the counter to the jp? The Lerk? Hardly. Its the only lifeform that isnt a joke against it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I feel the same like you, onos is so expensive and if a jetpack marine comes (and maybe go on a higher plattform) it looks like
    baby vs. minigun helicopter...i realy wonder how this is balance.
    10 res vs 75 res...onos transform from a big strong tank to a little fat slow target.
    <!--quoteo(post=1960994:date=Aug 11 2012, 08:50 AM:name=james888)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (james888 @ Aug 11 2012, 08:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960994"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fades are very good against jetpackers<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Only if you play fade non-stop, its very hard to hit the jetpack marine.
    It's like you try to hit a fly in real life, it can be done, but the fly is fast and a tiny target ^^
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    We know from earlier builds that the Onos can be made a JP killer with more speed and attack range, the question is should the Onos take this role? I would prefer something else as mentioned in the forum before. Gorge webs or skulk focus, fade acid rockets etc.

I just wonder, when the Exo finds his way into the game, doesn't the Onos has to become stronger in order to counter them rather than the JP? But without devour the logical step would be an extrem Onos buff of health and damage? Or would it stay the way it is now, then he has problems against JPs AND Exos. So what should be the counter for what and how will this role influence the rest of enemy encounters?
    I personally don't find it impossible to kill someone with a jetpack when I'm playing as an onos. It's all about timing your stomps. Now if you're trying to solo 4 marines by yourself then you're going to die...but is that really surprising?
    <!--quoteo(post=1961006:date=Aug 11 2012, 11:20 AM:name=deathmonger87)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deathmonger87 @ Aug 11 2012, 11:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961006"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I personally don't find it impossible to kill someone with a jetpack when I'm playing as an onos. It's all about timing your stomps. Now if you're trying to solo 4 marines by yourself then you're going to die...but is that really surprising?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So what you are saying is, onos against 1 marine is fine but more are a mess?
    I mean the onos is a tank and very expensive, how can it be, he can't hunt survive 4 marines.
    But we can just wait for exo suit, i wonder how this game will change ^^
    No, I don't think it should be a 1v1 balance (and it isn't). I personally rarely ever go onos in B216--it's pretty worthless. Truth be told, I usually just hang out as a skulk or a gorge because everything else just feels like a waste of res in this patch.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Yeah with regen changes, onos is pretty useless.

Before at least I could lure marines into a small room where I killed them, such as onos bar. Now they will always wear me down if alone.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1961018:date=Aug 11 2012, 11:52 AM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Aug 11 2012, 11:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah with regen changes, onos is pretty useless.

Before at least I could lure marines into a small room where I killed them, such as onos bar. Now they will always wear me down if alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That is your own fault for being alone.
    As previously stated in this thread, onos is not a counter to JPs. It's the other way around.
    You need 2 hives to be able to fight jetpacks. You need leap, spikes, blink and teamplay to be effecient in combat, at that stage of the game.

Another thing is that Jetpacks are too cheap in terms of PRes.
    Cost needs to be increased a bit.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1961023:date=Aug 11 2012, 09:01 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Aug 11 2012, 09:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961023"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That is your own fault for being alone.
    As previously stated in this thread, onos is not a counter to JPs. It's the other way around.
    You need 2 hives to be able to fight jetpacks. You need leap, spikes, blink and teamplay to be effecient in combat, at that stage of the game.

Cost needs to be increased a bit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So a marine with a JP and SG can solo a hive for a whopping 30 res but an alien spending 75 res cant beat the lone JP'er?

I'm sorry but 1 marines should not cause an Onos any grief, a lone JP'er should be fearing coming across an onos by himself more so than the other way around..
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The onos is just to slow and with carapce slow down a joke of unit and don't get me started on his charge ability pffft.

for 75 res you should be able to run away or lure them into small rooms but you can't as you're just too slow.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i still don't get why they removed the build-up-momentum movement of the onos in favor of charge.
  • 3del!3del! Join Date: 2009-05-11 Member: 67386Members
    edited August 2012
    I think the onos is fine against JPs. He has a good chance in every hallway, that's not too high, but has to retreat from open spaces, when JPs come in.
    Also, if an onos is hunted by 2-3 jetpacks, he should need support, so he doesn't die, which is how it works atm. The thing is, that oni are very strong, if the team protects them. Since every marine will try to focus the onos, skulks and fades have a much easier time getting to the marines. If the onos is alone, tough luck, he's going to die. Just as a single exo should, and most probably will. JPs are much more equivalent to Fades, even though fades can't take on exos on their own. But a single JP will have a hard time killing an onos as well.

I never use carapace as onos, but i can imagine the onos will be quite useless with it. Without it, he can imo escape quite easily with the charge ability.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    The discussion can only be held when the Exo is in the game. Now of course everyone who can grabs a JP, but only because there's nothing else to grab, you lose nothing getting one.

Time will tell how the jetpack/exo ratio will be.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1960992:date=Aug 11 2012, 06:43 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Aug 11 2012, 06:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960992"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The onos isn't meant to chase down jetpackers, it's supposed to be a siege type unit. The onos is much more effective when he attacks entrenched marine positions with other lifeforms. The onos dominates ground marines via stomp and does a huge amount of damage versus builds like the powernode. Other lifeforms distract while the onos rushes a phasegate or power node and that's how aliens break entrenched marine positions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty much /thread
    Once exosuits come into play the aliens will never win with things in their current state.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960981:date=Aug 11 2012, 07:58 AM:name=Core Dump)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Core Dump @ Aug 11 2012, 07:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960981"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am more afraid of skulks when I have a jp then onos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1960987:date=Aug 11 2012, 08:21 AM:name=Core Dump)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Core Dump @ Aug 11 2012, 08:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960987"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So the 75 res life form is countered by a 10 res jp?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Inconsistency detected
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    Ive killed and been killed with a jet pack many atime with skulks. Same with fades, ive been killed and killed many jet pack marines. But if anything onos is not compleatly usless against skullks. Places like computer lab, Data core, Onos Bar, locker room, all those places an onos will smash you skull in as he can easly reach you. I always do it and again i've had it done to me. Places like Generator, Central drilling, Crevise, Gap, landing Pad, etc. would be hard to get a jet packer as there is plenty of room to fly about and get away befor atacking or flyaway while attacking. If you can't kill a jetpack marine as onos, your problem is this, you are doing it wrong. Lure the marine into a small coridor/room with low roof and then head but him out the sky. Also if you hear the low fule noise and he starts to decentd, use stomp so when he lands (if you got the timeing right) you should knock him of his feet.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1961038:date=Aug 11 2012, 01:19 PM:name=3del!)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (3del! @ Aug 11 2012, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the onos is fine against JPs. He has a good chance in every hallway, that's not too high, but has to retreat from open spaces, when JPs come in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "has to retreat from open spaces", most of the maps are open and big
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Kw-w1DpbzYM#t=779s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...w1DpbzYM#t=779s</a>
    (by the way, the alien team fail to kill this and the other jp marines, because it's very hard ;) )
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1961046:date=Aug 11 2012, 09:35 PM:name=Xnm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xnm @ Aug 11 2012, 09:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961046"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pretty much /thread<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep, I agree. There is a slight problem with shotguns killing onos really quickly at the moment but that's an aside. Onos isn't the solopwnmobile that it's made out to be in promo stuffs.

I don't believe NS is designed around counters. There are only 'interesting designs' which may or may not be effective against other things. The counters that appear, such as GL countering gorge walls, are byproducts of those 'interesting designs'. At least, that's the only way I'm able to justify why the marines don't get a net launcher to deal with lerks or fades. If humanity really was faced with a kharaa invasion, that's the first thing we'd be putting on the battlefield. Assuming we didn't take off and nuke the site from orbit.
  • Core DumpCore Dump Join Date: 2011-07-11 Member: 109768Members
    edited August 2012
    The fade is actually better against jper's than I thought. It still takes alot of skill as a fade to really be effective though.

Alot of people are saying "well onos are good in confined spaces"

It's way too easy to fly backwards out of a room etc, then harass, and that negates any benefit these small rooms have
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    In NS1 jetpackers fly directly into your stomach. Just give me devour back and the same mobility like NS1 :>.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1961368:date=Aug 11 2012, 07:22 PM:name=Mr.Greedy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.Greedy @ Aug 11 2012, 07:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961368"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In NS1 jetpackers fly directly into your stomach. Just give me devour back and the same mobility like NS1 :>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Cloaked Onos in front of a doorway >B }
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1961023:date=Aug 11 2012, 05:01 AM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Aug 11 2012, 05:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961023"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That is your own fault for being alone.

Cost needs to be increased a bit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I won't deny that. I was mostly just expressing displeasure at something previously fun being unavailable now.

Camping out in onos bar, preventing anyone from entering. Similar small doorways are fun and can hold off most the marine team, as you regen before they can get another wave. Now they just kill you. Need a gorge now.

I do still feel the onos is a pretty bad siege unit though. Its more of a meat shield. I find sitting infront of marines, soaking up bullets, while the gorge does the bilebombing is more effective. Onos is too slow, committing fully and entering melee range usually ends in death - so bilebomb is safer for both aliens.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    How much does Jetpack cost, because ive seen entire team of marines with jetpacks just owning aliens nothing we could do. Jetpacks are very OP.

Not to mention exo suit is supposed to allow marines to go toe to toe with onos.

Onos is not worth 75 res. 50 maybe 55.