Random ideas

NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
I've had a lot of ideas that I couldn't put into a single thread, which I think would greatly improve the game. Here they are:

More easily keeping track of each of your marines as a commander via heartbeat monitors on your UI, which would tell if the marine is shooting at an aggressive alien or taking damage, and if the marine has critical life signs, all from how it changes colour and the speed of the heartbeat. These can be clicked on and hotkey'd to bring you to certain marines.

Aliens can deny health packs and ammo drops the same way they can with structures, making accurate placement important and so that you can't just spam them all over an area.

Hive sight should show enemies in the form of outlines a certain distance in the same style that Left 4 Dead has important objectives. Same with Command Stations in close proximity that have been sighted.

Lerk bite to have a slowing effect, as the poison in the bite doesn't seem to be an apparent useful feature. Poison ignores armour, light bite takes a lot of armour resistance, and the poison doesn't last long at all, so you might as well just have normal damage or use another mechanic such as slow.

With the latest update especially, energy is one of the most important parts of the alien hud, and this is not apparent enough. Energy amount/regen dictates when and how you fight and it doesn't seem to be visible enough, at least in my opinion. I do prefer quake-like minimalistic huds with large indicators, but it is hard to figure out your energy and what you can do with it at first glance.

You don't have insane spread with the assault rifle, so why give the shotgun spread? Shotty damage is really random, it needs to be a fixed spread pattern. Reducing the amount of pellets should really help as well.

Vents. I know you are going to make them more apparent on the minimap, but it would be cool if the entrances were more obvious as well. Highlighting important areas is a key aspect of good map design.

When a skulk is hit with the rifle butt he should not be able to hang on walls or ceilings until he hits the ground, fighting a skulk and then having him shot up to safety or a better position randomly with a rifle hit really sucks.

Why is marine movement so ######? There is no reason to move backwards so slowly. 90% speed is fine, walking speed is WAY too slow. Crouch jumping is weird too, you have to time it differently all the time to get in vents or on objects. Jumping lower each time you jump is not needed. If you are spamming jump against a skulk you'll be worse off doing higher jumps because you stay still in the air longer.

I want to know when a commander dropped health packs or items for me, indicators when a drop is close to you would be nice to have.

More Khammander involvement? Micro like with dropping health/ammo, maybe use drifters to grow cysts? invisible cysts like in SC2 where the commander has to scan to kill them? More types of mists/buildings?

Random spawns on some maps don't make sense, give too much of a advantage/disadvantage as in docking where aliens can get a free hive to generator and cafeteria just seems worse for marines.

Comments

• afx333afx333 Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155203Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2012
    audio / visual indicator of a assist drop would be great. was thinking this myself today.

the heartbeat thing is good idea. so u can centre your screen on the player that needs help easily. no map fumbling (im terrible with that!)
    perhaps ordered so those players that are close to each other are shown together to help guage overall health of the group instead of individuals.

perhaps chat text can be clickable...and centres you on players location.

i wonder if a system could be implemented where a player requests an assist via a hotkey and commander can accept/decline. if accepted player, automaticly gets the assist..so it doesnt have to be dropped. probably makes commander job in this regard too easy lol?
    was thinking the same with requesting RTs to be built...so many times im sitting around an RT hoping commander will build one....waiting waiting..