Medpacks / Ammo Please Commander?

mf-mf- Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64463Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Stingy / Cheap comm's</div>Hi guys,

What is the problem with commanders being very cheap/stingy in regards to ammo / medpacks?

Surely map control is worth 1-2 res...

I use the radio and ask for medpacks/ammo all the time, no response. People say the radio command is bugged and doesn't show the icon for the COMM, but you still get the audio queue and can push space to go straight to the radio request.

With armouries healing armour back, its gotten even worse! Instead of requesting ammo / medpacks, people are requesting armouries all over the map again.

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Commanders can be very busy. They don't always have time to give you everything you ask for. Just be glad you don't have to ask for guns :D
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I bet 90% of the time its because they missed your request (icon bug + hard to hear audio requests over the voice chatter and game sounds). I'm not stingy with med/ammo packs personally, but I won't drop them if the situation looks hopeless (i.e. marine suiciding into the alien base) or res is tight and I'm saving for a needed upgrade (think SG or w1/a1).
  • mf-mf- Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64463Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1962438:date=Aug 14 2012, 10:28 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Aug 14 2012, 10:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962438"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Commanders can be very busy. They don't always have time to give you everything you ask for. Just be glad you don't have to ask for guns :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not true at all, I run out of things to do. I just end up baby sitting my marines with pre-empted medpack drops for when that 1st skulk bite lands.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    edited August 2012
    Last time I commed the Request Ammo/Meds jump-to-point failed quite a bit.

But it might have been fixed since. Dunno.
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    Saving res, busy on another side of the map, the comm deemed it unnecessary to support you for one reason or another. Also, if you are a senior player, don't forget there are waves of new players coming in who don't really know how to/ what to do.
  • VirsoulVirsoul Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151977Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos
    A lot of people ask for meds and ammo when they're about 10 yards from an armory as well.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    The Z system is a bit bugged; when I comm, I can't really hear it. Probably better that way because marines tend to spam it alot which would be REALLY annoying. Further, the "space to go to alert" system doesn't really work because something can else happen after a marine's request which will steal focus. Perhaps a dedicated hotkey to respond to marine requests?

I much prefer marines that honestly assess their needs. If they are the only ones holding an area and are low on health and ammo, I will gladly toss them a medpack and an ammo pack. Or if it's an area worth holding, set up an armory. If there is a major push going on and things are ticking along smoothly at the base, I will monitor the push and try to drop medpacks, ammo and nano shield as seem expedient.

I do not tend to drop medpacks on marines that are off on their own - it's usually a waste as the marine will end up dying anyway.

TLDR, I think the best solution is to use voice or text comms to request health and / or ammo, at least in this build.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    i think bring back commander energy would be a good idea (and probably would be another incentive to build/destroy power nodes around the map if they regen the energy).

nobody would hesitate to med/ammo drop if it was from an energy pool.

a lot of marines like to ask for meds and ammo really early on too, i know a lot of people feel its not a good investment to drop supplies when you only have 1 or 2 extrators, when you could spend that res on either more extractors to set up your economy or invest the res into a unpgrade which will give your whole team an advantage.
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    I hardly ever drop medpacks. Id rather marines respawned and had jetpacks earlier, i dont use the space bar key to take me to requests for med/ammo/need order, i drop meds where i think they are needed, and only then.

The only advice i can give you if u want more medpacks from me, is to become a better shot, there are several players, that i will medpack all day, because of the damage those player can do.

In ns1, these would be the only players with guns. lol
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    Compared to NS1 the Comm-GUI is bugged and confusing. Thats the main-issue. Use voice-communication.
  • koewikoewi Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61984Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah i agree with Greedy at this state of the game ...
    if a rine asks for ammo or med i ask him, at which location he is ...
    in ns1 u got 3 keys, i think it was t,g, and h ... 1 for ammo, 1 for medpack, 1 for orderrequests ...
    should be implemented in the game :)
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There are several issues.

One is that (and I voiced a desire for this AGES ago) you should have insight player stats on the right of the screen (as an option) so that when you click on a player the screen goes to them. Also, they are highlighted when talking.

The second is that you can press spacebar and travel to their location, but only if they have used a voice communication for a health/ammo request. Players should have a 'location request' key, when pressed the comm can travel to their location. Perhaps the game could even interpret what the player needs depending on health and ammo count.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Yeah, the past two builds.. weapons/ammo/orders notification on the bottom right has been completely bugged for me.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1962719:date=Aug 14 2012, 06:40 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Aug 14 2012, 06:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962719"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One is that (and I voiced a desire for this AGES ago) you should have insight player stats on the right of the screen (as an option) so that when you click on a player the screen goes to them. Also, they are highlighted when talking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This!

Quoteing myself
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I want a permanent list of all marines or alien-players on my screen (for me on right side) with informations about Playername, HP/Armor, Ammo/Energy, Location, Status( like "in fight" "following order" "respawning" etc. ), Weapon/Lifeform, Equipment/Evolutions, an icon if the player says something in voice(or the playerbar is highlighting), an icon if a player yells for "need ammo/medpack/order".

This list can be sorted. For example : press and hold STRG, choose Player 1,4,5 and press "1". They are now optical separated from other players in the list. And there is now a shortcut on "1" to select all this players and a shortcut-button on screen near those players in list .<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    After a bit of testing today, it seems the cmdr notifications are bugged. I've added a <a href="https://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/medpack_ammo_requests_not_showing_on_cmdr_hud" target="_blank">bug report</a>
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1962711:date=Aug 14 2012, 04:23 PM:name=koewi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (koewi @ Aug 14 2012, 04:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962711"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah i agree with Greedy at this state of the game ...
    if a rine asks for ammo or med i ask him, at which location he is ...
    in ns1 u got 3 keys, i think it was t,g, and h ... 1 for ammo, 1 for medpack, 1 for orderrequests ...
    should be implemented in the game :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You press "E" and then "A" or "S". You just need to get used to the shortcut system which btw, is very easy to learn and very intuitive.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    I believe he is referring to hotkeys which jump to the location of the last medpack, ammor or orders request call from a marine, not the hotkeys to drop medpacks or ammos.
  • koewikoewi Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61984Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    ah no cake u misunderstood me :D respectively i just haven't explained it very well ;)
    in ns1 u got shortcuts to jump to the rine that requested the medpack, ammo, or orders ... for that you used t, g and h ...

and i dont know if something like a playerlist must be a feature in the game ... i just think it shouldn't be in a World of Warcraft Healer Style ...
    if it stays like now, plus the shortcuts for jumping to the requests, im fine with it
  • OprahOprah Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155615Members
    Dropping ammo most and health packs, most of the time, isn't a viable strategy. It's good early game to keep a guy alive in a 1on1 but other than that I see no real need for that. With the improvements made to the Armory in NS2 it's much more viable to have someone just set up an armory. If you have time to chill in a corner and ask for ammo repeatedly then you have time to build an Armory. And if you're stuck out in no mans land with low ammo, low health you should be running your ass back to your friends, otherwise you're better off to the comm dead because then at least you'll spawn where he can use your help.