Fade movement

RisingSunRisingSun RisingCalifornia Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">In regards to the tweet.</div>"Playing around with the NS1 Fade blink. Forgot how nice and smooth that was. Trying to incorporate some of that."

Oh please yes. Just the feel of playing NS1 aliens and marines alike has been SORELY missed in new generation games as they accommodation consoles (imo) by dumbing down movement for controllers. Anyone agree and better yet have suggestions how to accomplish this most needed task.

Tweets like these, not balance tweets, give me hope and make me re-look at this game anew.

Comments

• mf-mf- Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64463Members
    edited August 2012
    NS1 fade blink was blink -> forward momentum -> bhop + metabolism -> blink

If they replicate that, then they have nailed it.

Or even just give the blink some sort of momentum! Currently if you double jump, shadow step and mwheel jump when you land you get some sort of momentum but you can't control distance with shadow step.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    Yes. Blink, without the strange period of distortion first, with continued momentum, probably with a higher energy cost to compensate. And metabolize. That too.
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    That'll be interesting. I need to learn it! since I never played ns1
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    For those who don't know what Focus is, it is an NS1 ability tied to the Sensory (Shade) Chamber, which allowed the Kharaa to have 1 Hit = 2 Hits but with a slower rate of fire.

The rate of fire was basically the same timing if you were biting twice consecutively, it was just coupled into one bite.

Thus, it was extremely useful against Jetpacks as it only required the Kharaa 2 hits (4 hits without the ability) to down a Armor 3 Marine.

I was really losing hope for this game considering nothing, NOTHING has been said regarding Focus bite/swipe for Kharaa, especially when it comes to discussing Jetpack balance.

If this Fade Blink really turns out to be any close to the NS1 design, Fades may still stand a chance against Jetpacks if people are insisting on not having Focus ability.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I always liked how you could get the fades air control to the points of flowing through the map using your knowledge of layout. I was never good at metabolizing unless i had scripts (which just allowed me to bind the press and release of the button, not a script to do it for me.) and was better at adren fade though it was noobish. I always liked the fact that i had a benchmark of how good i was when i could survive using celerity and manage my energy. Plus it was awesome to watch a good fade at work. (not to mention using the BHop mechanic to save adren but at the cost of speed.)
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963155:date=Aug 15 2012, 02:53 AM:name=mf-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mf- @ Aug 15 2012, 02:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963155"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 fade blink was blink -> forward momentum -> bhop + metabolism -> blink

If they replicate that, then they have nailed it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep

Enough air control so you dont have to blink in straight is pretty absolute mininum.
  • supsusupsu Join Date: 2012-04-24 Member: 151023Members, Squad Five Blue
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    someone made a mod for this, correct?
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Yep : <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115631" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=115631</a>

We used to play with it on gathers. It wasn't NS1 blink, but was a bit closer. You could do nice curves in the air, like blink a bit off the marine and curve back to him.
  • ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
    Yuukis fademode was really good. Why did you stop yuuki?
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    Another lesson from NS1 relearned. This time with the smoothed out clipping on wall geometry it should be a little more forgiving to new fades too. The movement mechanics of ns1 should largely be moved over to ns2, most notably the responsiveness and air control.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963367:date=Aug 15 2012, 06:49 AM:name=Pyromaniac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pyromaniac @ Aug 15 2012, 06:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963367"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Another lesson from NS1 relearned. This time with the smoothed out clipping on wall geometry it should be a little more forgiving to new fades too. The movement mechanics of ns1 should largely be moved over to ns2, most notably the responsiveness and air control.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

pretty much this. GoldSRC is still one of the best engines to date. If UWE doesn't go towards the direction of copying the movement over I hope someone makes a mod of it so that they realize just how many people like that type of movement.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963357:date=Aug 15 2012, 10:30 AM:name=Scrajm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scrajm @ Aug 15 2012, 10:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963357"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yuukis fademode was really good. Why did you stop yuuki?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Official blink was getting better, so people were less unhappy with it, and I though we should give it a try. Also it's hard to have 12 people to run a mod, there was always someone with a broken fade...

I can remake it though, it shouldn't be too hard.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The 1st NS2 blink whas horrible to use. Instant teleport, Was really hard to use in combat but usefull for getting around the map really fast.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Give us the modified LUA files for the tested Fade, so we can run some modded Servers to test and tune it!
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm not too picky about what happens to the physics of Blink, but I don't want to see Fades incentivized to just tap blink briefly to float around in the air the way they did in NS1. From a thematic standpoint, teleporting is cool. NS1's Blink was extremely dumb in comparison.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1963486:date=Aug 15 2012, 10:48 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Aug 15 2012, 10:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963486"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not too picky about what happens to the physics of Blink, but I don't want to see Fades incentivized to just tap blink briefly to float around in the air the way they did in NS1. From a thematic standpoint, teleporting is cool. NS1's Blink was extremely dumb in comparison.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know. It was a whole lot of fun.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1963171:date=Aug 15 2012, 03:29 AM:name=Zomb3h)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zomb3h @ Aug 15 2012, 03:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For those who don't know what Focus is, it is an NS1 ability tied to the Sensory (Shade) Chamber, which allowed the Kharaa to have 1 Hit = 2 Hits but with a slower rate of fire.

The rate of fire was basically the same timing if you were biting twice consecutively, it was just coupled into one bite.

Thus, it was extremely useful against Jetpacks as it only required the Kharaa 2 hits (4 hits without the ability) to down a Armor 3 Marine.

I was really losing hope for this game considering nothing, NOTHING has been said regarding Focus bite/swipe for Kharaa, especially when it comes to discussing Jetpack balance.

If this Fade Blink really turns out to be any close to the NS1 design, Fades may still stand a chance against Jetpacks if people are insisting on not having Focus ability.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is so right.
    Focus really was the awnser to armor 3 in NS1.
    Also, Yuuki's fade mod might be a good place to look for the devs, as that is so much closer to the NS1 blink compared with vanilla NS2 blink.
    Except for one thing, the energy cost increases the longer you blink. To encourage small blinks and use of the momentum and aircontrol.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    From a marine perspective, it would give "tracking" Fades' movement with you weapon more emphasis like NS. Instead of the random straight lines they use now, kinda hard to track Fades with this seemingly random movement. goldSRC had a lot of awesome smoothness that a lot of the later games simply lost in favour of "realistic" movement.

Fluid movement for Fades vs Marines being able to track them, making air control that much more important. Good stuff and would probably be a good step into actually balancing the Fade as well...
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    NS1 blink felt right but looked wrong. NS2 blink looks right but feels wrong.

Also I don't like the current blink sound. It's way too loud and obnoxious. Like someone suddenly turns on a hair dryer.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1963486:date=Aug 15 2012, 03:48 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Aug 15 2012, 03:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963486"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not too picky about what happens to the physics of Blink, but I don't want to see Fades incentivized to just tap blink briefly to float around in the air the way they did in NS1. From a thematic standpoint, teleporting is cool. NS1's Blink was extremely dumb in comparison.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    From a gameplay standpoint, teleporting is terrible -- at least that's what our experience with it in NS2 thus far has taught us.

Gameplay concerns > thematic concerns.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1963572:date=Aug 15 2012, 07:05 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Aug 15 2012, 07:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963572"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 blink felt right but looked wrong. NS2 blink looks right but feels wrong.

Also I don't like the current blink sound. It's way too loud and obnoxious. Like someone suddenly turns on a hair dryer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This pretty much sums up the Fade... a flying alien creature without wings, it hovers without flapping... just doesn't look right.
  • giogio Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155618Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1963572:date=Aug 15 2012, 11:05 AM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Aug 15 2012, 11:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963572"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 blink felt right but looked wrong. NS2 blink looks right but feels wrong.

Also I don't like the current blink sound. It's way too loud and obnoxious. Like someone suddenly turns on a hair dryer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This mostly sums up my feelings about the current fade. Double jump and shadow step are necessary right now, but I wish they weren't. I want to be able to blink into vents again without feeling like I'm stringing a camel through the eye of a needle.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Glad this is on the radar and hope that we see the right improvements.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1963575:date=Aug 15 2012, 01:10 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Aug 15 2012, 01:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From a gameplay standpoint, teleporting is terrible -- at least that's what our experience with it in NS2 thus far has taught us.

Gameplay concerns > thematic concerns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's why it's not a true teleport anymore - the current effect is fairly easy to track, doesn't stop damage and still looks pretty cool. You have 100% air control for all sorts of tricky maneuvers if you want. I primarily played Fade in NS1 and honestly prefer NS2's current iteration.

Vent blinking definitely needs work but that's more an issue with crouching than anything.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Current blink feels like you're on rails imo. Not very fluid. It's better than it used to be I admit that.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1963572:date=Aug 15 2012, 01:05 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Aug 15 2012, 01:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963572"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 blink felt right but looked wrong. NS2 blink looks right but feels wrong.

^perfect description of the blink situation
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited August 2012
    NS1 in general felt considerably smoother in all regards, and not just because of the lack of lag and high fps.

<!--quoteo(post=1963613:date=Aug 15 2012, 03:35 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Aug 15 2012, 03:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963613"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's why it's not a true teleport anymore - the current effect is fairly easy to track, doesn't stop damage and still looks pretty cool. You have 100% air control for all sorts of tricky maneuvers if you want. I primarily played Fade in NS1 and honestly prefer NS2's current iteration.

Vent blinking definitely needs work but that's more an issue with crouching than anything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I remember they experimented with true teleport in the early builds when fade just came out. They removed it because it was too difficult on the fade, if you will credit something so absurd.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963671:date=Aug 16 2012, 07:53 AM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Aug 16 2012, 07:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963671"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 in general felt considerably smoother in all regards, and not just because of the lack of lag and high fps.

I remember they experimented with true teleport in the early builds when fade just came out. They removed it because it was too difficult on the fade, if you will credit something so absurd.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I also remember getting stuck in walls. a lot :)
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1963613:date=Aug 15 2012, 08:35 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Aug 15 2012, 08:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963613"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's why it's not a true teleport anymore - the current effect is fairly easy to track, doesn't stop damage and still looks pretty cool. You have 100% air control for all sorts of tricky maneuvers if you want. I primarily played Fade in NS1 and honestly prefer NS2's current iteration.

Vent blinking definitely needs work but that's more an issue with crouching than anything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The current blink is something in between and I don't think that works well. I would even go as far as saying that it combines the worst of both worlds. I don't agree that it looks "pretty cool" -- that translucent ball flying around is just silly, and the fade player vision is even worse -- while also leading to very random hits and misses because there is no directionality or any way to predict its movement.

I really like shadowstep -- it's a pure teleport ability that's both fun to use and limited enough that it isn't frustrating for the marine team. It would work great as a second hive ability in tandem with an NS1 style blink as the first hive movement ability.