shotgun bash

uspowersquadronuspowersquadron Join Date: 2012-08-11 Member: 155450Members
<div class="IPBDescription">why not?</div>give the shotgun a bash attack too.

20 res is quite steep already.

i instinctively try to all the time, as the gun looks like a good basher.

any thoughts here?

Comments

• DarkomicronDarkomicron Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75256Members
    I am actually not sure why not every gun has a bash. It's supposed to be a weak last resort attack, why can't each gun have a last resort?
    I'm all for it. It's a bit counter-intuitive that your weakest gun can bash, but the better guns cannot.
  • DuskDusk Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106114Members, Constellation
    I have a better idea. Get rid of bash altogether.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    I agree that it doesn't really make sense that only the rifle has that ability.

I think the reason why it's this way is mostly historical. Once upon a time the rifle butt attack was really OP. Then they nerfed it, the amount of damage as well as the distance. Now a rifle butt does just 20 damage and in a range that's half as long as the skulk bite (iirc). Also the grenade launcher used to be an attachment to the rifle which meant that the right mouse button changed from rifle-butt attack to launch a grenade. Now the GL is a separate wepaon.

Currently you need (70+10*2)/10 = 9 rifle rounds to kill a skulk, (70+50*2)/10 = 17 if they have carapace. The rifle butt can make up for two of those rounds. In the case of the shotgun, it shoots 10 pellets, each of which does 17 damage, so you need (70+10*2)/17 = 5.2 pellets or 6/10 to kill a skulk, 10/10 for a carapace skulk. At 20 damage, the rifle-butt would account for just one of those pellets.

Intuitively you'd expect the shotgun to have that kind of ability simply because it's a more robust kind of weapon than a rifle. But the flamethrower and GL are too bulky/cumbersome (assuming the new GL model coming out next build is simliar to the current style).

I can't see any reason why the shotgun doesn't have it, with similiarly weak values. So long as the right click isn't used for anything else, I think the intuitive benefits outweigh the balance change.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1965270:date=Aug 20 2012, 12:52 PM:name=Dusk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dusk @ Aug 20 2012, 12:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965270"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a better idea. Get rid of bash altogether.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But then how am I going to be able to make my pistol-whipping frag video :)
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    i'd say its mostly not there because they haven't made an animation for it - I can't imagine it would unbalance the game or anything because of the low damage it does.

Although I kind of think that bash should be more of a utility than an attack, like if all of the vents were covered in a mesh, and you could bash them in. (or aliens would bite them).
    Kind of makes sense that vents would start covered.
  • GrohmiGrohmi Join Date: 2012-08-10 Member: 155216Members
    shot gun bash = good idea
  • PhenakistPhenakist Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154948Members
    I can understant not all weapons having bash, Pistol I don't think should, but the shotgun I really don't see why not
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    The problem isn't the damage, but the stun, which makes pretty easy to kill skulks.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Either all guns need bash, or none do. Its inconsistent for only rifle to have it.

Just scale it properly to the weapon. Pistol obviously should do very little with a bash. I think the bash in general is a bit too powerful though. I would prefer knockback and less damage.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1966174:date=Aug 23 2012, 09:45 AM:name=Bicsum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bicsum @ Aug 23 2012, 09:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1966174"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem isn't the damage, but the stun, which makes pretty easy to kill skulks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind bash being on all the weapons without a secondary fire, but removing the stun effect.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1966219:date=Aug 23 2012, 02:02 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 23 2012, 02:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1966219"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I wouldn't mind bash being on all the weapons without a secondary fire, but removing the stun effect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • NukoeNukoe Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154821Members
    I'd like to see a weapon bash on most/if not all marine weapons. It just seems so odd you can only do it with the rifle. If removing the stun component is the sacrifice, so be it.
  • uspowersquadronuspowersquadron Join Date: 2012-08-11 Member: 155450Members
    as i understand it, (and im not entirely sure of this) the stun effect only applies if the skulk is mid leap when bashed. to me, this makes sense, as the skulk flying through the air and then hit in the face would increase the impact. it is kind of a direct counter to leap. if the skulk is dancing around biting your shins, it doesn't stun.
    this sort of forces the skulk to not leap at the marines at the front.
    i would change it from a stun to a knockback (or both), so that you could put distance between you and the skulk for a reload or retreat, but the skulk isnt just sitting stunned at your feet. if the skulk were knocked back, he could escape, rather than just being stunned on the ground.

i don't know about giving it to every weapon. GLs and FTs don't look very bashable... long guns like SG and LMG do. and pistol really shouldnt. maybe just give it a punch for 10

oh and if everything i said about stun is right, why not apply it to the axe?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well each of the weapons is supposed to have it's own unique secondary attack. Which isn't implemented, and I'm unsure if it's still on the list.