Hard to identify dropped weapons

phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">(reposted from getsatisfaction)</div>Although dropped weapons might be to scale on the floor, they're quite hard to see at times, and, after almost 300 hours playing, I still have trouble differentiating whether I'm looking at a shottie or LMG on the floor.

It's easier to simply pick them up to work it out, rather than knowing in advance.

Would it be possible to "hint" at where a weapon is by adding a slight glow / blue nano effect, and when you approach it, to add "G" with "Pick up #weapon name#" below ?

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Dropped weapons will have a distinct outline in the next build, so should be easy to see for both Marines and Comm.
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Thanks for the reply, still wouldn't mind seeing the text description as well though if possible :-}
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited August 2012
    +1 for text description when you aim near the dropped item, and are with in 6feet / 2metres distance.

Better still would be a holographic rotation weapon icon (like the health PLUS icon above the armory). Kinda of like a holographic version of weapon pick ups in the quake days. Don't tell me those visors aren't used for augmented reality :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    Hmm, the outline shape should be obvious enough... I just want to be able to point my crosshair at the weapon I want to pick up and not have the game decide for me, which of the ones lying on the floor is the most expensive and give me that one...
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    The icons are a bit small on my screen, so I often have to look around to find a weapon and know when I'm on top of it to pick it up.

But that's perhaps purely my own preference.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Never had a problem identifying a dropped weapon. The ammo that sits next to it is strange ..
    Problem is when multiple weapons are on top of each other, ever tried picking up a welder underneath a flame thrower?