weapon switch bug

predat0r117predat0r117 Join Date: 2007-08-03 Member: 61756Members
Just played my first game of build 217 and although it was an east coast server and I'm west coast, it ran without much lag. My ping stayed around 90 until I switched weapons and it shot up to over 1000. This only occurs while I'm switching weapons and welding (technically switching weapons I suppose to pull out the welder). I've had pretty stable performance in the past with all other builds so I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Comments

• GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    What weapons causes this? All weapons, and does it stay high, or drop again shortly after, and is it still a problem? I switch weapons all the time, and notice no noticeable lag or high ping.
  • predat0r117predat0r117 Join Date: 2007-08-03 Member: 61756Members
    It was only the first game I played. All weapons caused it after switching. It would spike for about 3 or more seconds where I could do absolutely nothing, my client would freeze and the scoreboard said 999 ping. After restarting and playing more games I did not experience it. I don't have any idea what could have caused my issue.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some of the graphics ingame gets downloaded the first time you see them, this can cause lag spikes like you described. As far as I know the plan is to have all the graphics preloaded at a later patch, so this won't happen. I guess it's one of those beta things we have to accept.
  • BitcrusherBitcrusher Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156628Members
    edited August 2012
    yep i lagged when i swapped weapons too, doesn't seem to occur anymore. this was 216
  • YotopiaYotopia Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75176Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968752:date=Aug 30 2012, 11:29 AM:name=Bitcrusher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bitcrusher @ Aug 30 2012, 11:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968752"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yep i lagged when i swapped weapons too, doesn't seem to occur anymore. this was 216<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Same here doesnt occur anymore.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968748:date=Aug 30 2012, 04:14 AM:name=predat0r117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (predat0r117 @ Aug 30 2012, 04:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968748"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It was only the first game I played. All weapons caused it after switching. It would spike for about 3 or more seconds where I could do absolutely nothing, my client would freeze and the scoreboard said 999 ping. After restarting and playing more games I did not experience it. I don't have any idea what could have caused my issue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think this happened to me the very first time I tried playing 217. I ended up restarting NS2 and the problem never happened again.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1968748:date=Aug 30 2012, 10:14 AM:name=predat0r117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (predat0r117 @ Aug 30 2012, 10:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968748"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It was only the first game I played. All weapons caused it after switching. It would spike for about 3 or more seconds where I could do absolutely nothing, my client would freeze and the scoreboard said 999 ping. After restarting and playing more games I did not experience it. I don't have any idea what could have caused my issue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My 1st game of the build was a bit laggy to but after it was fine. Quite a few people have experienced this
  • charvincharvin Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156743Members
    edited September 2012
    This happens to me too. In more detail:

it doesn't always happen, and it starts in the middle of random games for no apparent reason and won't go away till I restart the game.

Switching to knife is always fast and fine, but switching to welder, pressing E on an unbuilt building, shotgun, pistol, rifle, any primary weapon will cause it, and at one point i couldn't even fire a shotgun. The bug is a three second freeze where everything goes still and silent. That being said, it goes away when I restart and doesn't seem to have a pattern of when it starts. It feels like it's trying to load the model for each weapon fresh when I switch to it.

PC Specs:

Intel core i7 960 overclocked to 3.6ghz
    8 GB Ram
    (1 x ) ATI Radeon HD 6870

-Guy-
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    happens occasionally on alt-tab, the shaders for the marine weapon ammo display counters gets corrupted (will have console errors about loading said shaders) and you will experience a 1-5s lag spike. happens for some alien lifeforms too. this persists until you exit/restart the game.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    While we're on the topic of weapons switching, I've noticed that mouse wheel scroll down and mouse wheel scroll up seem to be inverted in NS2.

Like when I have my rifle equipped and I scroll my mouse wheel down I should have my pistol up next.
    But it just goes to the hatchet.
    NS1 and most if not all HL1 and Source based games and mods have it the other way.

Not a big issue but when I initially stated playing the alpha I thought this was a bug, like it registered my mouse wheel motion 2 times and goes over the pistol.
    Took me quite a while to adjust to this.
  • J2pcJ2pc Join Date: 2002-12-05 Member: 10485Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1970725:date=Sep 4 2012, 04:17 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Sep 4 2012, 04:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970725"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->happens occasionally on alt-tab, the shaders for the marine weapon ammo display counters gets corrupted (will have console errors about loading said shaders) and you will experience a 1-5s lag spike. happens for some alien lifeforms too. this persists until you exit/restart the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Didn't see the console errors (didn't check), but yeah. Switching weapon (also spawning) would make the entire game freeze.

No ammo counters (blackisch square on lmg/pistol, nothing on gl) which adds a bit of survival-tension ^^

My game crashed a couple of times that day, not sure why

i5-2500K @4,6Ghz, 16Gb, Radeon 7950
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Try deleting your cache in %APPDATA% first then retry it. That location is where all the shaders are stored so try getting rid of them then going through the weapons/effects again to reload it.