Network connection lost, time out

StormFrontStormFront Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157097Members
<div class="IPBDescription">After joining a server, i get the networkconnection lost icon, and msg</div>Dear support,

ns2 version 218

Problem: right after joining a game on a ns2 server, after a few seconds i encounter the red network lost connection icon. A minute or so after that in get the 'Time out' message and get return to the main ns2 screen (not in game screen)

Is there a way to tweak this myself?

Cheers..

Comments

• ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Hi,

Can you post the contents of %appdata%\Natural Selection 2\log.txt please?
  • StormFrontStormFront Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157097Members
    Ok, just join a EURO server Heidis Ziegenfarm, and this runs wel. But the french server are not working for me.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Thanks for the update, french server might be running a different version or mods, which server was it?
    Here is a log file of such a incident:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Date: 09/07/12
    Time: 15:04:58
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Build 218
    Starting Natural Selection 2
    Steam initialized
    RenderDevice: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (8.17.10.1140)
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 218
    Updating of subscribed mods is complete (not subscribed to any mods).
    Connecting to server 46.105.98.107:27017
    Error: Sound 'materials/door/bash' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/door/axe' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'marine/common/pickup_Exosuit' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'marine/common/Exosuit_empty' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/alien/cloak.cinematic'
    Loading 'maps/ns2_docking.level'
    Error: Couldn't open file ''
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_baggagescreens_01.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_plants_test.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_plants_test.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_tram_01.model'
    Error: PhysX: ConvexHullBuilder: convex hull has more than 255 polygons!
    Error: PhysX: Gu::ConvexMesh::loadConvexHull: convex hull init failed!
    Error: PhysX: Error cooking body 0 of model models/props/descent/docking_tram_01.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'materials/descent/descent_floor_01_a.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'materials/descent/descent_floor_01_a.material'
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_docking.level'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_03.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_03.material'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_02.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_02.material'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_tracks_01.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_tracks_01.material'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/docking_bar_ad_03_spec.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_shower_towelrack3.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/shower_test.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'materials/effects/halo_yellow.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'materials/effects/halo_yellow.material'
    Chat All - NS2Stats.org: Welcome! Server is running NS2 Stats version 0.27 beta.
    Chat All - NS2Stats.org: You can use 'stats' in console for commands and help.
    Welcome! Server is running NS2 Stats version 0.27 beta.
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 218
    Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This the log.txt i ended up with after a timeout.
    I don't know if this gives you any descent information out this issue.

Cheers..
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    There was a problem with routers that play steam games losing their internet connection when playing some games. It may be related to that, I'll try and find the link to the topic for you....

It was a UDP connection timeout issue I believe.

Here is the thread..

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=117254&st=0" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...117254&st=0</a>
    edited September 2012
    Not the problem in this case i think. I play alot of games online with no problems at all. This issue only happens in NS2.

Is there a way to debug this, i'll offer my assistence when needed. In the mean time i'll wait for the next beta update.

Cheers
  • ArrenArren Join Date: 2005-01-15 Member: 57887Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Still no solution for this problem ??

I was able to play the game without any problems until the build 218 came out.
    After that I havent been able to maintain connection to servet for more than 20 seconds.
    And no, I havent changed any settings or anything.

This is pretty irritating while I was just starting to enjoy the game again and then this just decided to ###### this up...
  • DroopyDaDogDroopyDaDog Join Date: 2003-06-18 Member: 17479Members
    edited September 2012
    Did you try the UDP fix for your router?

Mine never had any trouble with steam games untill one of the recent NS2 builds triggered the UDP related conection errors and started disconecting me all the time.

Direct link to a post walking through changing some router settings :
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=117254&st=20&p=1923219&#entry1923219" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...p;#entry1923219</a>

If you use a BT homehub rather than a Be* thomson they're prone to the same error as well apparently, though depending on which one you may be locked out of the options you need to fix it. The most consistent workaround then is to wait 1-2 minutes after you refresh the server list before you connect to any servers, the timeout will happen before you connect to a server then and you shouldn't have any more problems.
  • ArrenArren Join Date: 2005-01-15 Member: 57887Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Great, worth of a try.
    Just too bad that I have lost my router admin password. Im pretty sure that I havent changed it, but those default passwords dont seem to work.

Happen to know any other ways to access user.ini without root pw?
  • RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I get this frequently, opened the UDP ports on my router and set UDP timeout to gazillion. I never had this issue back in 215 and down. Now its frequent. I see a lot of in game players get it too.

Seems like they know of the problem but don't know how to fix it.

"resources are now saved upon disconnect"