Steam workshop implementation

STARSBarrySTARSBarry Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67671Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I did a topic search on these forums and search turned up negative so sorry if this has been posted before

Natural Selection 2 should support steam workshop implementation, the spec ops thread in the NS forums gave me this idea, especially with NSarmslab gone (that really makes me feel old thinking about it being gone) now I understand its close till launch now and the team is working hard polishing off the beta version for release and im not saying you should drop everything and try and cram this in, in fact please don't get your game perfect for my first play through on launch day and that will make me a happy happy man.

But NS will be going for years and years, and correct me if im wrong but iv been reading on the forums that it is relatively easy to swap out models for custom ones, the game is also steamworks enabled so why dont we eliminate the need for an NSarmslabv2 and put all the bandwidth cost on valves head at least we know as long as NS2 is alive so are all the custom models and skin packs no more losing Spec ops marines v2 when the site goes down when you decide to give the game a shot in 7 years time.

so lets make it easy for the fans to look and browse through user created content as voted for and selected by the masses I mean hell have you seen the amazing high quality custom models available on the skyrim and TF2 workshops? some are just WOW! so opinions do you think its worth the NS team working on getting this feature popped in post launch? Cause I sure as hell think so.

Comments

• GraydeeusGraydeeus Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158450Members
    NS2 has been integrated into the Steam Workshop for months, since June at the very least. If you're not in the beta you won't see it in the list but it is there.
  • STARSBarrySTARSBarry Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67671Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1973836:date=Sep 8 2012, 02:43 AM:name=Graydeeus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Graydeeus @ Sep 8 2012, 02:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 has been integrated into the Steam Workshop for months, since June at the very least. If you're not in the beta you won't see it in the list but it is there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

never mind then, like I said did a forum search turned up nothing so assumed it wasn't in, this is really awesome news, are people modeling already then?
  • SPASMadnessSPASMadness Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156958Members
    Well, two of the most played maps are made by the community, so yes.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    And more notisable is the spectator mode, thats made by a community member aswell.
    There is a lot of modders hard at work creating stuff :)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118717" target="_blank">NS2 Steam Workshop Info</a>

(Sort of) working for custom maps, but not for mods (though this is planned). Biggest issue is that we're waiting on Valve to implemented the download to server functionality from Steam Workshop (which is being worked on for CS:GO).
  • aronortharonorth Join Date: 2012-09-12 Member: 159076Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it should be integrated with the game hub, if im not mistaken.
  • STARSBarrySTARSBarry Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67671Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1975938:date=Sep 11 2012, 10:23 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 11 2012, 10:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975938"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118717" target="_blank">NS2 Steam Workshop Info</a>

(Sort of) working for custom maps, but not for mods (though this is planned). Biggest issue is that we're waiting on Valve to implemented the download to server functionality from Steam Workshop (which is being worked on for CS:GO).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thanks for the info thats exactly what I was hoping for... when you say download to server.... does that mean you upload the items to the server and players then download and see them as custom for that user or what?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1977032:date=Sep 13 2012, 07:26 AM:name=STARSBarry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (STARSBarry @ Sep 13 2012, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thanks for the info thats exactly what I was hoping for... when you say download to server.... does that mean you upload the items to the server and players then download and see them as custom for that user or what?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, what I'm referring to is that there is no way to download the map/mod from Steam Workshop to the server right now. To get it working for maps, what you have to do is download the map from Steam Workshop to your local client, then copy and paste the map files to the server.