Performance severely degrades after long games

AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2012 in Technical Support
<div class="IPBDescription">Usually after 45-60 minutes the frame rate drops to 2</div><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i>I didn't see this in search results.</i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Not sure if it's been reported, but more often than not if I'm playing NS2 for a long period (around 45 to 60 minutes) the frame rate suddenly drops from very nice (usually 70-90) to 2. I can't be sure if its' consistent, though it seems to be more likely to happen than not happen. I should spend more long sessions in NS2 to be sure. While this happens system performance elsewhere if I alt-tab out appears to be fine.

Usually it takes multiple map changes for it to happen (the servers I play on rotate maps after 1 long enough round) so not critical, though it could be very annoying if it happened during a long round.

Ready-rooming or re-connecting doesn't fix this, the process has to be restarted. Either way you loose your personal resources, and possibly your spot in the game server too. I doubt it's the graphics card overheating as I can restart the process, get in game, and performance is back to brilliant instantly.

I run the game in borderless window mode.
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Core i7-920 @ 3.8 GHz
GeForce 560Ti manufacturer OC'd