Harvester hitbox

ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
This has been like this for awhile, but I figured it would be gone by now. Basically when you shoot a harvester, the hitbox seems to flail all over the place. Yes, we usually axe these things down, but I'm sure it's really confusing for new players. It's only made much more obvious now with the damage numbers:

Anyway, here's a short video showing the issue:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMlsDgLc3Ws" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMlsDgLc3Ws</a>

Comments

• 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    The bulb on the top is rather porous, when it does the animation of taking dmg it flails around and flickers so many bullets miss. No such problem with the base though.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    Theres problems with pretty much every alien structures hitboxes. Even eggs sometimes absolutely refuse to register any damage even though they shoot out blood and the new damage indicator registers it. Spurs/shells sometimes die to a couple of hits, sometimes require huge amounts of shots etc. Has been like this for a couple of builds now. Some alien structures also seem to heal instantly after you shoot them.
  • CharmedCharmed Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155731Members
    It feels like the bug from... 216/217, where structures were nigh-invincible unless you shot at the base, was not fully fixed.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Haven't noticed this befor. Very intresting. I hope this can be resolved soon
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm almost certain this bug is because the hitbox flinch animation is different from the harvestor flinch animation. In much older days the harvestor would flinch back and forth like crazy. They probably forgot to update the hitbox for the less crazy flinching animations..
  • SherwoodSherwood Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157696Members
    Yea I have noticed this too, usually it is a huge difference in kill time with equal weapons. The problem usually pops up the most with crags, I have had many situtations where I will do(acording to the dmg indicator) 5000+ dmg to a crag with no kill. This is with an axe and point blank range crouched and slashing. I would not think much of it except I had just killed a crag moments before by myself with the axe in far less time. I have to agree with the above posters it is like the dmg just is not registering at all.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1981068:date=Sep 20 2012, 07:46 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Sep 20 2012, 07:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981068"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm almost certain this bug is because the hitbox flinch animation is different from the harvestor flinch animation. In much older days the harvestor would flinch back and forth like crazy. They probably forgot to update the hitbox for the less crazy flinching animations..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i don't think so, because the shots don't reg on the bulb no matter what angle you shoot it at, and the problem only appeared in the last 4 or so builds. it is probably tied to changes they made to the physics...
  • SherwoodSherwood Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157696Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1981161:date=Sep 20 2012, 10:35 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Sep 20 2012, 10:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i don't think so, because the shots don't reg on the bulb no matter what angle you shoot it at, and the problem only appeared in the last 4 or so builds. it is probably tied to changes they made to the physics...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have had several situations where 4-7 marines will rush a crag location, so the aliens stop using it as a launching point for attacks. We will kill everything in the crag base then one of the buildings will literally become immortal taking dmg from all 7 marines and not dieing.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Most of these problems are due to server optimization to mitigate tracking the animation state of structures where it (hopefully) isn't necessary.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1981555:date=Sep 21 2012, 11:02 PM:name=eh?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eh? @ Sep 21 2012, 11:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most of these problems are due to server optimization to mitigate tracking the animation state of structures where it (hopefully) isn't necessary.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think this is the problem here because the animation is quite subtle. You just shoot right through the thing doing no damage at all. This issue only seems to appear with the shotgun or other high damage per shot weapons, so maybe the server animation is completely bugged and doing all sorts of stuff it shouldn't do?

<!--quoteo(post=1981068:date=Sep 21 2012, 01:46 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Sep 21 2012, 01:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981068"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm almost certain this bug is because the hitbox flinch animation is different from the harvestor flinch animation. In much older days the harvestor would flinch back and forth like crazy. They probably forgot to update the hitbox for the less crazy flinching animations..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If I'm not mistaken you can see the hitboxes by turning cheats on and entering "collision damage" in console. The hitbox seems fine to me.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I think this is a bug with the shotgun. It doesn't seem to happen with other weapons. Also, I have had this bug happen to me while shooting at players as well. I tried to record a video in-game but my fps fluctuates quite wildly so it's hard to get decent footage. I did record it in a local though (although I know there can be bugs present there which don't appear in-game). I might upload to youtube if it would be helpful. The funny thing is, I tried again a little while later after restarting the game to reproduce the same bug and it was fine, even on harvesters, so it doesn't happen all the time.

Sometimes you also get a tiny amount of damage instead of 0. For example the first shot on a fade can be -170 but then the next is -17, even though your aim is the exact same. I'm not sure if it happens on other lifeforms besides the fade. I know I have shot at skulks sometimes with the shotgun and my crosshair turns red but 0 damage is displayed. Perhaps it is a bug with the damage numbers as well.