Creating a Face?

MoochieMoochie Join Date: 2011-10-18 Member: 128058Members
Hi, how do you create a face using a bunch of lines? If possible. The create face under Edit doesn't seem to work.
Here is what I am trying to do. <a href="http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/Moochiez_bucket/face_question_zps6bcb3789.png" target="_blank">http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/Moo...zps6bcb3789.png</a>

Thanks, Moochie

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ugh, that's going to be a tough one. I'd try the triangle method in which you use lines to product simple triangles until the whole face is done and then delete the interior lines.
  • MoochieMoochie Join Date: 2011-10-18 Member: 128058Members
    edited September 2012
    Works like a charm, thanks :D

Is there a way to get perspective mode to not have the fog type thing for distant faces, so I can see everything at once.

Also, what is the average size of a map? Cause mine is coming out wayyy to big so I am going to have to scale it down.

Thanks
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Go to Tools > Settings > General and make sure the "Far Plane" slider is all the way to the right. It probably won't ever render everything, but at least you can make sure as much is rendered as possible.

As for judging if your map is too big, the best thing to do is to open up the official maps and measure them to see how their size compares.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    If a face is refusing to be created it's because you have multiple vertices overlapping in the same spot and the editor is choosing the wrong one when trying to close the loop, so if you move the existing lines that you want to close away a bit, then close the loop it will create the face, then you can move everything back in place...
    edited September 2012
    Right on, thanks everyone for you help :D.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1981736:date=Sep 22 2012, 10:14 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Sep 22 2012, 10:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981736"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If a face is refusing to be created it's because you have multiple vertices overlapping in the same spot and the editor is choosing the wrong one when trying to close the loop, so if you move the existing lines that you want to close away a bit, then close the loop it will create the face, then you can move everything back in place...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That issues has bugged me so many times and I've wasted many hours tracking down such a small problem and end up deleting so much geo just to find it.

A simple tool like the 2 lines glowing a different color when more than 2 verticies are overlapping would be extremely helpful.
    <!--quoteo(post=1982214:date=Sep 23 2012, 05:46 PM:name=WorthyRival)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WorthyRival @ Sep 23 2012, 05:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982214"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That issues has bugged me so many times and I've wasted many hours tracking down such a small problem and end up deleting so much geo just to find it.

A simple tool like the 2 lines glowing a different color when more than 2 verticies are overlapping would be extremely helpful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed, I don't know how many time I have had to do this.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    If the editor could try to find which vertex would close the loop that'd be more useful (and intuitive) imo. With the obligatory keyboard key to disable it (also, I'd like to stop the editor from choosing the midpoint automatically sometimes while we're at it!) :D
    Also when I make a circle the points do not line up on the grid perfectly, is there a fast way to snap all the points to the grid?