Frontal 'boneshield' mechanic?

yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
edited September 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">esp. for Gorge and Onos</div>Some recent comments are tangentially mentioning frontal 'boneshield' mechanics, and I figured it deserved its own post:

Back when NS2 was releasing the models for the various aliens, I markedly remember noticing how protruding bones were strategically placed to block bullets from the front. You know, those t-shaped things coming off the gorge's back and the onos' head. Actually using this boney protection would accentuate the clever model design and add valuable mechanics to the game:

See:
<a href="http://ns2jp.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/gorge.jpg" target="_blank">http://ns2jp.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/gorge.jpg</a>
<a href="http://www.natural-selection.it/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/kharaa_onos_render.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.natural-selection.it/wp-content...onos_render.jpg</a>

I think a frontal damage immunity or LARGE reduction on the bone segments (or just generally from "the front", if easier to hitbox) would be wonderful for these classes. Gorge needs this protection. Like how the gorge tends to be spitting down a long hallway, but instantly and silently gets sniped by a far away marine before the gorge knew what hit him. Or when a gorge is blasted though a hole in his clogs while he is peaking. Frontal armour will protect the gorge in these situations, making marines rush him to attack from the sides. This would complement the gorges natural dig-in strategy nicely, allowing them to harrass easier near the safety of their nests..

Same goes for Onos (in dire need of a revamping!), allowing him to charge where no other aliens could hope (e.i. long tunnels) as fire tends to come from one direction at these ranges. The one-direction protection would allow him to enter battles relatively safely, but once in melee he can be downed, especially by multiple marines, as fire will naturally (and intelligently) come from all different directions. It would add a lot more depth to alien positioning for these not-so-stealthy classes.

What I would warn is that measures must be taken to signify that you are hitting bone and/or little damage is being dealt! It would be extremely frustrating having to find out though much trial and error that you are not actually hurting the target. For this I would suggest using boney white gibs/particles to fly off the shot boney area, and that possibly custom cracking or ricocheting sound be used. Or visual ricochets.

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    If I recall correctly, Boneshield was originally intended to be the mechanic that would allow the Onos to counter sentries in any number. By making all incoming bullet damage to the front nullified or negligible, the Onos was intended to be a powerful siege-buster unit; strong in attack, but once surrounded or trying to run away, weak and slow.

That's been changed since though. Onos is now more of a general big-slow-target type of enemy. I like the idea of boneshield much better myself, but I think we'd have seen it implemented by now if UWE wanted to.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    I think I recall it being planned for post 1.0 sometime, for onos at least.
    <!--quoteo(post=1981939:date=Sep 23 2012, 12:16 AM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Sep 23 2012, 12:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think I recall it being planned for post 1.0 sometime, for onos at least.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You sure? I've heard hearsay that UWE is no longer interested in that direction, but nothing concrete.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1981941:date=Sep 23 2012, 07:33 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Sep 23 2012, 07:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981941"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You sure? I've heard hearsay that UWE is no longer interested in that direction, but nothing concrete.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fine by me, I think the ability will be almost useless anyhow. Kinda like vortex. Just a delay.
    edited September 2012
    I think boneshield could allow the Onos' HP to be nerfed quite a bit, giving us a lifeform that's powerful on the attack but not the death-tank it is in 1/2/3-on-1 combat today. I feel like large HP is more of a perk than something to base a lifeform around.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The gorge shield was usable in the alpha. When it activated the gorge moved very slowly, or not at all, I can't remember exactly, and could absorb more damage.

It wasn't used often because it was basically a 'stop' button. When you used it you couldn't do anything else, and running away or fighting was usually a better strategy.
  • jergodzjergodz Join Date: 2011-05-20 Member: 99745Members
    Actually the gorge, HAD the boneshield ability. In the very early alpha when the game was released you could bunker down by pressing the crouch key and survive a little longer so skulks had a chance to save you when completely surrounded. Ofcourse back then the game was unplayable in terms of performance and they removed it before there was even a chance to see how it would work in a stable build..
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Would be great to get this on the gorge again, it seriously needs the survivability boost.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1981943:date=Sep 23 2012, 12:36 AM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Sep 23 2012, 12:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981943"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fine by me, I think the ability will be almost useless anyhow. Kinda like vortex. Just a delay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Vortex is far from useless.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1981935:date=Sep 22 2012, 11:58 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Sep 22 2012, 11:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981935"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->..., but I think we'd have seen it implemented by now if UWE wanted to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i definitely want to and was some weeks ago playing around with it (as an ability, not something passive). that's nothing official now, so i can't guarantee that we will add this.

for all post 1.0 features, nothing is fixed. it all depends on how the game plays at release, which will give us a much clearer picture of what is needed. but, from my observations so far: boneshield is needed :) can't wait until we finally ship the game and i can again focus on new features.
  • BeelzebubBeelzebub Join Date: 2012-08-12 Member: 155506Members
    I feel onos should have a frontal bone shield, while gorges should have a boney ass. That way onos can be the "go in first" guy and gorges have a bit of protection while running away but not be invul while healing another player.
  • SplicerSplicer Join Date: 2012-04-23 Member: 150952Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1982118:date=Sep 23 2012, 12:17 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Sep 23 2012, 12:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982118"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i definitely want to and was some weeks ago playing around with it (as an ability, not something passive). that's nothing official now, so i can't guarantee that we will add this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I'd be all over this (though I'd prefer a passive). Onos' just haven't felt... Onosy in many patches. Being nigh-invulnerable from the front would make them feel like juggernauts again, while keeping their current toughness from the back would mean they still take skill and thought to actually play (and, you know, defeatable).
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1981943:date=Sep 23 2012, 01:36 AM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Sep 23 2012, 01:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981943"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fine by me, I think the ability will be almost useless anyhow. Kinda like vortex. Just a delay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just because something does not directly contribute to murdering the enemy does not mean its useless.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hell, even in the exosuit trailer, the onos managed to get close to a dual minigun exo while taking almost no damage, but as soon as the exo knocked him and exposed his side he was toast.

Maybe have some kind of disadvantage when using the bone shield. You can't use gore or stomp in bone shield mode, you can only walk or charge forward. The ability would be on a 10 second timer between uses, but once it is activated it can be held as long as you want. Maybe have the bone shield as a separate upgrade (even though the onos model already has it).
  • DanielDDanielD Join Date: 2010-11-16 Member: 74960Members
    edited September 2012
    +1 for bone-butt gorges. It's a very frustrating class to die as since you're basically a healer/crap engineer. With how fast marine sprint is its too easy to chase down gorgies.

Edit: and vortex is really strong, it allows you to remove welders so you can take down an exo, or (correct me if I'm wrong) remove exos and wipe out all the marines quickly.
  • PeacefulwarriorPeacefulwarrior Join Date: 2012-09-09 Member: 158825Members
    I am more then happy to have boneshield as an ability or passive, would make me want to play alien more if this was implemented.
  • SplicerSplicer Join Date: 2012-04-23 Member: 150952Members
    Could change Carapace such that Onos and Gorge get a large quanitity of localised armour (headshield for Onos, buttshield for Gorge) but no or limited armour increases in other areas. Doing it this way would also allow for a balanced increase in Onos base armour and health since there's be less of a stacking effect.
    <!--quoteo(post=1982118:date=Sep 23 2012, 02:17 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Sep 23 2012, 02:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982118"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i definitely want to and was some weeks ago playing around with it (as an ability, not something passive). that's nothing official now, so i can't guarantee that we will add this.

for all post 1.0 features, nothing is fixed. it all depends on how the game plays at release, which will give us a much clearer picture of what is needed. but, from my observations so far: boneshield is needed :) can't wait until we finally ship the game and i can again focus on new features.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's very encouraging to hear, even in an unofficial capacity.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    I feel something needs to be done to differentiate between fade, skulk, and onos a little more. Right now, they feel like a linear upgrade path instead of different roles to fill holes in a teams composition.

I think a bone shield type ability would work well for this, both gorge and onos. I'm not sure if it should be handled as a passive, active, or combination of both. I want to say a active ability myself. Maybe for the onos have it a secondary fire for all weapon slots so he can still maneuver and close the gaps and for the gorge have it automatically activate on crouch, like it curls up into a little bone cover ball.

Also, I thought the original gorge bone shield was suppose to have the added benefit of converting damage into energy for the gorge to increase his ability to hunker down in a nest and keep himself and all his little plants healed up.