Ingame sounds

KasperleKasperle Join Date: 2004-09-29 Member: 31990Members
<div class="IPBDescription">the most annoying sounds in comp. play</div>There are numerous sounds that really pisses me off.
It starts with the beginning of a round. The music that is played at the beginning absolutely prevents me from hearing incoming enemies ( e.g. close spawn, where its crucial ).

Then there is the sound, when the hive-hp drops below a certain percentage, which is - for me - the most annoying sound.

Then there is the sound, when u complete building a powernode ( what u most likely do before building anything else ). It makes it very hard to hear incomming aliens.

Then there is the ambient sound, that causes SoundInstanceErrors which result in big fps drops and makes fighting in a particular area of the map pretty much impossible. These errors can even result in a crash of the client.

I dont want to hear any of these sounds i mentioned above. Why do u force me to ?

Comments

• havok?havok? Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152462Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Yup. Then there's the bug where the sound constantly cuts out and I can't hear anything other than sounds coming from my marine or alien.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    and Just to add to the sound list of bugs (sorry I've brought this up a few times but hey one more time!)
    the sound menu keeps resetting back to defaults when you leave the game, even though the tabs are set to where you last set them, but it's not accurate, you have to move one of the tabs and then hit Apply again and it sets back to your tab settings.
    I only notice this because I like the microphone sound to be right down, and everytime I enter the game it's really loud so I have to go into the options and move the little tab back and forth and hit apply again :|
    Nothing serious but annoying :)
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited September 2012
    Can't hear skulks or marines most of the time, and can sometimes hear then in random directions which really throws me off. If it wasn't for communication, I would disable ingame completely and listen to music all of this patch because of this bug.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    So you want to punish people who actually enjoy these things by having an unfair advantage to which the only option is to disable it as well?
    At the very least they should be much quieter by default.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    The sound issues are because surround sound was implemented this build and in a bad way, with no option to disable it. I believe ns2 is trying to look for 5, maybe even 7 speakers but only finds 2, so you basically don't hear the other 3 or 5 channels or they clip out and do all that other weird stuff.

Whether UWE is aware of this i have no idea but i would guess they do. (but you can never be sure).
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    Im constantly complaining about poor sounds on these forums, not one dev says we know we're working on it. So i dunno, i hope they do.

Cant you just make a mod or something to disable that heinous music that plays? I turn music off or low (if the music is good) on every game i play.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Another sound bug, there is a hallway on Tram right outside of repair room leading to ore processing that often gets bugged and will play random sounds like skulk bite every time you walk through it. This has been bugged for a long time.
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    We should also remove all those textures on everything because its hard to see the marines and or aliens, the textures are jsut annoying and not really needed. I dont really want to see these textures at all. Why am i force to see these?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1982687:date=Sep 24 2012, 06:56 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Sep 24 2012, 06:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The sound issues are because surround sound was implemented this build and in a bad way, with no option to disable it. I believe ns2 is trying to look for 5, maybe even 7 speakers but only finds 2, so you basically don't hear the other 3 or 5 channels or they clip out and do all that other weird stuff.

Whether UWE is aware of this i have no idea but i would guess they do. (but you can never be sure).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    First time i've heard of that?
    I'll post it in CF and see if anyone has heard of this.
    Any means you've discovered to reproduce this or measure it to speed up discovery time for us?

<!--quoteo(post=1982726:date=Sep 24 2012, 09:30 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Sep 24 2012, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982726"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Another sound bug, there is a hallway on Tram right outside of repair room leading to ore processing that often gets bugged and will play random sounds like skulk bite every time you walk through it. This has been bugged for a long time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yea... every map has this. Its called the origin bug.
    Its, from my understanding, the center of the map where sounds sometimes go to die and be reborn again.
    Ever seen the white flashing corner in landing pad? or the weird fade effects just hovering in air sometimes like in tram with barking noises? Thaaattsss the Origin Fairy.. trying to scare the $#%^ out of you in the dark lol.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1982742:date=Sep 25 2012, 08:26 AM:name=OscarTheCouch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OscarTheCouch @ Sep 25 2012, 08:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982742"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We should also remove all those textures on everything because its hard to see the marines and or aliens, the textures are jsut annoying and not really needed. I dont really want to see these textures at all. Why am i force to see these?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not a bad idea.

Sound direction is off often or delayed which is quite annoying.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1982687:date=Sep 25 2012, 03:56 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Sep 25 2012, 03:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The sound issues are because surround sound was implemented this build and in a bad way, with no option to disable it. I believe ns2 is trying to look for 5, maybe even 7 speakers but only finds 2, so you basically don't hear the other 3 or 5 channels or they clip out and do all that other weird stuff.

Whether UWE is aware of this i have no idea but i would guess they do. (but you can never be sure).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Quote from the patch log:
    "Changed the game to use the speaker configuration that was designated in the Windows control panel."

That's all they implemented.

So whatever you setup in your sound drivers and windows sound panel as primary audio device, is used...
    This means ppl can have wrong settings in their sound drivers, e.g. setting it up for 5.1 audio with a headphone connected instead of using virtual Surround or stereo... i <u>guess </u>this could do exactly what you describe. (so if the game, movie or whatever supports it(oh you got 5.1 in your setting? let me send the sound to those speakers), its outputting sound to channels that you dont have in your headphone => you cant hear those channels, because they dont physically exsist - it doesnt check if speakers are connected)

But again - i dont really know anything about this topic... its just me guessing crap.

After a bit of googling, fmod should have support for DTS 7.1 and lots of other stuff... dunno if its implemented properly in ns2 tho. (no patchnote or dev post so far mentioned anything in detail about this stuff)

Quote from some ###### article i found via google:
    "The support of DTS Neural Surround within FMOD makes it easy for game developers to integrate the technology within their titles. FMOD has worked to make the process intuitive for customers with a simple initialization flag for the application of DTS Neural Surround. Developers can then provide a consistent 7.1 audio experience across all platforms, even for audio connections like S/PDIF, which cannot traditionally support 7.1."
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    Well it's a bit problematic when you cast and when hive\cc is below certain % even spec can hear the music altho music volume is totally down. If that could somehow be disabled for spec would be ok
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    I agree to this topic, i wish we could have a lot of this sounds adjustable trough the music slider in the options. (or at least turned down for now, until you got the time to implement this)

Actually we should have more sliders.

Master

Atmospherics

Music (guess atmospherics and music could be only one slider)

Effects

Voice in and output

Alerts(?)
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1982756:date=Sep 25 2012, 04:33 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Sep 25 2012, 04:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982756"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh thats interesting. i must be wrong then.

Weird though, i still have it on quadrophonic but its like the sound fov is drastically reduced.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    It's difficult to separate in-game sounds such as atmospheric and effects because they all go to the same Master mixdown.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like the action-music, but it should be adjustable for the minimalists. A greater problem I discovered in 220 is, that the sound you generate yourself (footsteps, shooting, reloading) can happen to play behind you. I use a 5.1 sound system. Own sounds should always come from the center speaker.
  • WildChickenWildChicken Join Date: 2004-08-25 Member: 30891Members, Constellation
    While we're at it, as a commander I often hear the shadowstep fade sound even though there are no fades ingame. From what I remember it happens mostly when moving the camera around and it's quite annoying for comp play, where listening is part of my task.

If required, I'll see what I can do to reproduce.
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1982799:date=Sep 25 2012, 01:05 PM:name=WildChicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WildChicken @ Sep 25 2012, 01:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While we're at it, as a commander I often hear the shadowstep fade sound even though there are no fades ingame. From what I remember it happens mostly when moving the camera around and it's quite annoying for comp play, where listening is part of my task.

If required, I'll see what I can do to reproduce.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Happens to me too when I cast

Mostly happening around center of the map tho. Not sure what triggers it but sound is local for the matter.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    I personally like the music when a hive or cc drops below a certain HP percentage, it adds tension. That being said, I would agree a lot of these sounds (like powernode power coming online) need to be a little quieter so they don't block out one's ability to hear important sound cues like skulk movement. (Provided that's not an issue with the skulk movement cues)

Hope we still get some big improvements in the sound department.
    <!--quoteo(post=1982687:date=Sep 24 2012, 09:56 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Sep 24 2012, 09:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The sound issues are because surround sound was implemented this build and in a bad way, with no option to disable it. I believe ns2 is trying to look for 5, maybe even 7 speakers but only finds 2, so you basically don't hear the other 3 or 5 channels or they clip out and do all that other weird stuff.

That sounds exactly right. And the game sounds so bad if I set my sound card to only use two channels.

<!--quoteo(post=1982759:date=Sep 25 2012, 02:58 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Sep 25 2012, 02:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982759"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually we should have more sliders.

Master

Atmospherics

Effects

Voice in and output

Alerts(?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also, this.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1982742:date=Sep 25 2012, 01:26 AM:name=OscarTheCouch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OscarTheCouch @ Sep 25 2012, 01:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982742"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We should also remove all those textures on everything because its hard to see the marines and or aliens, the textures are jsut annoying and not really needed. I dont really want to see these textures at all. Why am i force to see these?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree, is there a dx8.1 mode I can set the game to so I can see through the lerk spores easily as well? Also fullbright would fit better with competition and we should all use the cel shaded pack so we don't get distracted with the art design. :P

<!--quoteo(post=1982759:date=Sep 25 2012, 02:58 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Sep 25 2012, 02:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982759"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree to this topic, i wish we could have a lot of this sounds adjustable trough the music slider in the options. (or at least turned down for now, until you got the time to implement this)

Actually we should have more sliders.

Master
    Atmospherics
    Effects
    Voice in and output
    Alerts(?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Atmospherics and effects should be one in the same. You would have a stupid advantage if you have it turned off while in a room with a big rumbling machine compared to another player who left it on. Also I like the idea of masking your player noise behind a larger atmospheric noise, like splinter cell.
    Isn't there a console command for seeing through spores?
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah I'm having a smiliar issue to some. I have an X-FI SB, with a 5.1 sound configuration. Made sure the speakers were working correctly with the X-FI Game console window(x-fi software) and it seems to be fine, and works well with watching movies, and playing other games (I've had this set-up for quite awhile actually). For NS2, it seems to have utilized the speaker configuration but not properly. A lot of sounds seems to only come out of the rear speakers like player movement, and even sometimes firing your rifle. Sometimes, it seems only the front 3 speakers (front left, middle, and front right) are working which is what it was like before 220, but sounds can be incredibly low, difficult to hear and hard to detect direction of other player sounds.

I'm hoping the surround sound issue does get fixed, because sound in any game is one of the most important things to me.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I f*cking love the Mirrors Edge starting music. I f*cking love it to bits. Dunno what mood it's supposed to set, but I love it.

The hive/cc going down -music is another story. While it's not BAD, it's just not really exciting.

As for skulks, I rarely hear them coming, ever. Like 10 feet and I can hear 'em. Maybe.
  • nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1982756:date=Sep 24 2012, 10:33 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Sep 24 2012, 10:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982756"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quote from the patch log:
    "Changed the game to use the speaker configuration that was designated in the Windows control panel."

That's all they implemented.

So whatever you setup in your sound drivers and windows sound panel as primary audio device, is used...
    This means ppl can have wrong settings in their sound drivers, e.g. setting it up for 5.1 audio with a headphone connected instead of using virtual Surround or stereo... i <u>guess </u>this could do exactly what you describe. (so if the game, movie or whatever supports it(oh you got 5.1 in your setting? let me send the sound to those speakers), its outputting sound to channels that you dont have in your headphone => you cant hear those channels, because they dont physically exsist - it doesnt check if speakers are connected)

But again - i dont really know anything about this topic... its just me guessing crap.

After a bit of googling, fmod should have support for DTS 7.1 and lots of other stuff... dunno if its implemented properly in ns2 tho. (no patchnote or dev post so far mentioned anything in detail about this stuff)

Quote from some ###### article i found via google:
    "The support of DTS Neural Surround within FMOD makes it easy for game developers to integrate the technology within their titles. FMOD has worked to make the process intuitive for customers with a simple initialization flag for the application of DTS Neural Surround. Developers can then provide a consistent 7.1 audio experience across all platforms, even for audio connections like S/PDIF, which cannot traditionally support 7.1."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well they need to un do this "Changed the game to use the speaker configuration that was designated in the Windows control panel."

There is nothing wrong with my sound settings in windows. But the sound cuts in and out like crazy after this patch. Never have it problem in any other game and in fact never had it in ns2 intill this build.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    As i first start 220 i thought "Yess, 5.1 sound is in, finally".
    But after a while i hear the problems:

- Random front-rear swaps (seem to be cause an filter in large rooms)
    - Walking sound out of the speaker the direction you move
    - Sound cuts or missing sounds

This annoys me more than the starting or endmusic.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm not sure why people are having so much trouble hearing skulks. Their footsteps are very distinct to me, and I can usually hear them over anything, including the BGM. Admittedly, things like hives dying, grenades/exos firing, and occasionally build tools drown them out, but that's acceptable IMO.

Marine footsteps, on the other hand, are hard to hear if they're not sprinting. The lack of "being hurt" sounds on both teams also sucks.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I definitely agree that some of the sounds can be confusing. Would be nice to iron these out.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1982808:date=Sep 25 2012, 12:40 PM:name=ArcL!ght)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcL!ght @ Sep 25 2012, 12:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982808"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Happens to me too when I cast

Mostly happening around center of the map tho. Not sure what triggers it but sound is local for the matter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Check the earlier post on the mis-guided pranks of the Origin Fairy for this one.....