More crosshair options

ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
I'm begging you guys here. The default crosshair is neat in its atmospheric qualities - but its really awful for aiming accurately. It directly blocks vision and that's a bad thing. Any chance we could get the option to toggle between a couple crosshairs? Such as a simple cross or dot?

Comments

• [HEI] Spade[HEI] Spade Join Date: 2012-04-28 Member: 151223Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1983288:date=Sep 26 2012, 05:44 PM:name=Shaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shaker @ Sep 26 2012, 05:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm begging you guys here. The default crosshair is neat in its atmospheric qualities - but its really awful for aiming accurately. It directly blocks vision and that's a bad thing. Any chance we could get the option to toggle between a couple crosshairs? Such as a simple cross or dot?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They said the crosshair file is not checked by the consistency, so you can have a custom one :) Max wrote it on the topic about consistency and during the Q&A yesterday.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Could you link me to that part or post? I watched the Q&A and read the thread and did not see anyone say that. I understand servers will have the option to choose what is in the consistency check.
  • [HEI] Spade[HEI] Spade Join Date: 2012-04-28 Member: 151223Members, Squad Five Blue
    Was wrong about the post of Max, BUUUUUT look the Q&A from 9.15 to 9.20, he says that "you can use different crosshairs, ... thats not checked". :)
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    Ah, awesome, he slipped that in there quick.

I hope that means most of the HUD is up for customization. Thanks for searching that for me.

edit: Also, I think there should be more default crosshair options still! :P
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1983289:date=Sep 26 2012, 03:51 PM:name=[HEI]Spade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([HEI]Spade @ Sep 26 2012, 03:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    They said the crosshair file is not checked by the consistency, so you can have a custom one :) Max wrote it on the topic about consistency and during the Q&A yesterday.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's still pretty awful that you have to go further than your options menu to get a proper crosshair. Entry barriers like this got slowly removed in NS1, but now they're back again.
    Actually the default crosshairs are very well designed but for more than casual gamers usual ones are better for aiming ;)
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1983364:date=Sep 26 2012, 12:22 PM:name=Shaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shaker @ Sep 26 2012, 12:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah, awesome, he slipped that in there quick.

I hope that means most of the HUD is up for customization. Thanks for searching that for me.

edit: Also, I think there should be more default crosshair options still! :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The way I understood it anything that is a .LUA mod will not work by default, i.e. most of the game UI mods. Server operators can flag what gets checked and what doesn't, but opening any .lua to modification likely opens it to exploitation as well.

Instead of seeing server operators having to unflag certain files, I'd rather see them put in more options in for the default game UI (ability to turn most of it off, and turn universal alien crosshairs on). Which I believe they are doing just that, eventually, but I don't think I've heard that anything like it is going in with 221 so we're probably going to have to wait :/
  • GaerusGaerus Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112121Members
    Agreed.

I expect to see more crosshairs in the menu ( i want a dot as crosshair ^^ ) and/or ability to download new ones somewhere :]
  • havok?havok? Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152462Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1983364:date=Sep 26 2012, 03:22 PM:name=Shaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shaker @ Sep 26 2012, 03:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->edit: Also, I think there should be more default crosshair options still! :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, please.
  • fragmaster24fragmaster24 Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73132Members
    edited October 2012
    I was looking at the Game Hub for NS2 in steam, and saw three or four crosshairs mods available for download there. The nice thing about them is that you can simply download them from the steam client, then activate them in-game via the Mods menu; no messing around with files required.

Since it might get asked, you can view the Game Hub by changing your steam library to "Details" view, selecting NS2 from the left, and then clicking on Game Hub on the right.

I personally like the crosshairs they spent time on, and stick with the defaults.
    Yeah the workshop implementation for custom crosshairs is great. I wasnt expecting it to work so well - so I consider this post moot.

Now if we could just have more keybinding options...