Ideas & Suggestions: NS2 Main Menu

Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
<div class="IPBDescription">It will be the public's first impression of the game</div>The menu of NS2 is going to be the first thing people who have never played before see, and for that reason I think it is important that it be well polished, have unique elements, and set the mood of the game.

Right at this moment, the menu needs a lot of work. It's enough to get you into a server, and change some options, but really offers nothing more beyond that.

UWE has told us outright that NS2 wouldn't exist without the community, which is why they made all of the dev tools available to us. Since this is a community driven, community-friendly game, the menu should reflect that with lots of features that make people feel like they can be a part of the community and contribute in different ways.

Some ideas and suggestions that I have for the menu:

<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>General Fixes and Adjustments:</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

There is a LOT of empty space, which could be filled with any number of things.
- I think the Natural Selection 2 Title/Logo looks great, but it seems small. Make it big and proud, and centered in the top of the screen!
- Add more interesting sounds. Like when clicking on many of the buttons, there is no click, blip, or any kind of feedback.
- Adjust the word placement in the tabs at the top of the server browser. The words are up against the top edge of the rectangles encompassing them. It makes it looks kinda sloppy
- Again, there is an absolute ton of space (at least how I have it at 1920*1080). When you select any of the top menu options, there is currently no need for them to disappear. They could just remain on the side, rather than a person having to hit the back button
- Some functions simply don't work. Two examples are the "Explore World" button and the VSync option (it reverts back to off any time I try to change it)
- I know there was music in the menu in previous builds, so as long as it finds its way back in there for release, we're golden.
- The "Refresh" button under the server browser always says "Refreshing..." even when I suspect it has finished doing so.

<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Making the Menu Community Friendly:</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

- Add a global chat box somewhere in the menu for people to discuss the game, organize matches, or just chat about any random topics
- Implement a web applet linking to this site or the forums
- Institute an ingame profile which is easily accessible from the menu and can be edited. This could be accessed by clicking on one's avatar currently located just above the top menu options
- Along with the profile I think it would be cool to have simple "games played" statistics. Divided between Games played as marines, games played as aliens, and games commanded
- Add a widget for NS2 news, upcoming patches, mods, tournaments and other events, and even community polls
- I like the "Pick Up Game" tab in the server browser. I think this could be vastly expanded upon by having a portion of the menu or a submenu dedicated to competitive play. It would allow players to flag themselves as "looking for a team" and give them the option to check boxes for what they consider their strengths in the game.
- Add a lore section that explains some of the origins of the Kharaa and the overall storyline. It doesn't have to be complicated since NS has obviously never really had much of a storyline. The real purpose of this section would be to familiarize players with all of the structures, weapons, abilities, and other gameplay elements.
- There are so many potential additions to the menu I could go on forever. The menu of DOTA 2 comes to mind. They use the entire screen and have tons of features in the menu, allowing you to do a lot of learning and interacting while you are there. Hope to hear some more ideas from you guys.

<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Visual Improvements:</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

- Avoid the typical and somewhat boring button arrangement that Valve uses. Mix up the button placements in the menu obviously without making it unintuitive. Give the menu a unique arrangement that somehow reflects the theme of the game.
- One thing I think would be absolutely perfect for NS2's menu would be a metal framework bordering all the different sections/windows/buttons in the menu. This is the perfect place to show off the dynamic infestation, especially when it becomes a finished product! Have the infestation slowly spread around on the menu's borders randomly, just as it would in game. This fits perfectly with the dualism of the marine-alien dynamic, and would just look awesome if done well.

Comments

• GreenFlameGreenFlame Join Date: 2011-03-17 Member: 86860Members
    I agree, the menu definitely needs rework.
    I liked a ton better the old menu with animated marine and skulk and buttons that were actually images. I liked the old GUI best.
    And the new menu is more Fall-out like for me. Also the music is broken, the twitter line is broken(not displayed). And yea, menu sounds do have a huge impact. Please either make new menu or use the previous implementation, that boring pipe in background is really bad.

I don't like at all the GUI and sound designs the game is taking. Though I really like the gameplay decidions =)
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter