Regarding the conception that Hypermutation is worthless

2»

Comments

• ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1991503:date=Oct 14 2012, 09:31 PM:name=d0ped0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d0ped0g @ Oct 14 2012, 09:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can you clarify what you mean by that very last part (not the part about energy & health regen). The pres management aspects are intended... That's the whole point of hypermutation - to reclaim res from evolving to lower lifeforms (or up to higher lifeforms from other high lifeforms like lerk->fade/onos or fade->onos). Without it, it may as well be an empty upgrade slot (and it pretty much is already anyway - as you said, it's not even worthy of nerfing, gimmicks and all).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Charlie spoke about hyper briefly in one of the dev Q&As and mentioned how he imagined a group of players using hyper to lerk and fly into combat with marines, skulk and leap out when they get low and gorge and heal up once they got out of combat. His intention for hyper is for people to be able to use each of the life forms when they need them, not just to attempt to save their pres when they're about to die or completely negate the need for regen. Unfortunately his idea is mostly a gimmick since lifeforms are severely hindered without adren or celerity and the skill required to utilize hyper in his idea is just not worth what you actually get from it.

The only time i've seen it moderately useful is for gorging with it and bile bombing a power node to lure marines in close as if they're about to fight a gorge and then going fade on them after i run around a corner. Fun but to be honest not as effective as just going fade with cele or adren. And even then the bile bomb gorge is also severely hindered without adrenaline.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1991510:date=Oct 14 2012, 09:02 PM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Oct 14 2012, 09:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991510"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Charlie spoke about hyper briefly in one of the dev Q&As and mentioned how he imagined a group of players using hyper to lerk and fly into combat with marines, skulk and leap out when they get low and gorge and heal up once they got out of combat. His intention for hyper is for people to be able to use each of the life forms when they need them, not just to attempt to save their pres when they're about to die or completely negate the need for regen. Unfortunately his idea is mostly a gimmick since lifeforms are severely hindered without adren or celerity and the skill required to utilize hyper in his idea is just not worth what you actually get from it.

The only time i've seen it moderately useful is for gorging with it and bile bombing a power node to lure marines in close as if they're about to fight a gorge and then going fade on them after i run around a corner. Fun but to be honest not as effective as just going fade with cele or adren. And even then the bile bomb gorge is also severely hindered without adrenaline.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah, okay. I need to watch the Q&A's - didn't know that's how it's supposed to work.

Anyway, I don't know how what Charlie's suggesting would work without full hp evolve or at least full energy. You can get shot at while egging and your resulting lifeform will evolve with damage to them (at least, that's how I understand it works - correct me if I'm wrong), and eggs are quite fragile, even with the quick evolve time. So, what? You're supposed to fly in as lerk, probably get shot at (you don't have celerity so you're a much easier target) and lose most your energy sporing and spiking, evolve, while evolving probably get shot at further, and you're supposed to escape with probably close to a 1hp skulk with no energy to leap, or celerity to do it quickly? And only THEN heal up all fiddly-like by evolving to gorge, but even then you have to wait for your energy to come back.

Nope, if this is how Charlie wants it played, then full hp and full energy are in my opinion the way to go as even this doesn't make up for the shortcomings of hypermutation. I understand that it can be used gimmickly for a quick regen on an onos when there is no regen/hive/gorges to heal with (I didn't include crags because they heal sooo slow for an onos - needs to do heal in % of total health imo), and that this 'quick heal' tactic is probably unintended by the developers (although unless they say anything about it, or change the way it works, we'll never know). Unfortunately, this is probably a bad side effect of going the full hp route. I still think it's the way to go though. It's not like hypermutation onos doesn't have it's drawbacks, so I got no problem with quick heal. I understand the point of view that others might think it's gimmicky or exploitative though.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1991393:date=Oct 14 2012, 01:14 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Oct 14 2012, 01:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991393"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hypermutation is not viable as a first upgrade, and therefore not viable at all in my books.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So I guess thinking outside the box is something you try to stay away from?
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    No, theres no way the full heal with hyper is intentional. If it is, then whats the point of regeneration?
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1991547:date=Oct 14 2012, 10:57 PM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Oct 14 2012, 10:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991547"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, theres no way the full heal with hyper is intentional. If it is, then whats the point of regeneration?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think I said it was intentional - I'm just saying it works better for how you're saying Charlie proposed hypermutation should work (fast evolving in combat), to keep it the way it is. The whole 'retreat from combat, hypermutate to skulk then back to onos for a fresh set of hp' thing is not intentional for sure. But to expect somebody to evolve within the thick of battle without a clean bill of hp on the egg just isn't going to work. The egg can still be shot, and your resulting lifeform damaged or possibly killed while egging (or after), so unless the marines aren't paying attention it's not like you're going to evolve with full health anyway (or at all, even with the quick evolve). Just my opinion anyway.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    wow its always the same 3 people crying for nerfs..