aliens still suck (224)

124»

Comments

• VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997494:date=Oct 25 2012, 08:20 PM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Oct 25 2012, 08:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997494"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And this is why we say there is no reasoning or using logic with you.
    You say you want to see return of focus...but that skulks should not scale.
    Hate to break it to you but adding focus is adding an attack scaling for skulks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    nope, doesnt scale as it would still take 2-3 hits, but you want something that deal more damage and thats not going to happen.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You seem to infer that playing skulk late game is something that good players avoid and only poor players have to suffer with "if you just HAVE to play skulk"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thats your problem not the fault of "the game", "devs" or "scaling". the basis of all of this is that *YOU* are stuck playing skulk because *YOU* dont know how to evolve to other lifeforms. and thats exactly it, skulk is supposed to be the base level alien NOT THE MAIN ATTACKER THE ENTIRE GAME.

are you seriously sitting there and saying that good players ARENT trying to evolve to better aliens? because if you are then theres nothing left to be said. go back to eating paint chips.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->, sorry but we are not all 1337 and can perma fade.
    Heck most of us suck balls as fade and lerk, being that we dont get to spend a lot of time practicing (actually having life outside of games) and are never likely to be good enough not to die...especially when playing against more serious players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

and here it is, the real meat and potatoes. *YOU* arent *GOOD* so somehow its the *GAME* that is at *FAULT*

and then you use the same pathetic line "i have a life outside games thats why i suck" cry cry.

so now you speak for everyone? youre the voice for the playerbase?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->MF you say skulks are in easy mode...heck you thought they where easy in 223 (based on some of the games I have played with you, for you it may well have been the case).
    But to be honest I am not sure I have seen you struggle with any of the alien lifeforms.
    As for me I am just an average player who has given up ever wanting to play game competitively (too much grief) and soley play for enjoyment.
    As such I will never be able to invest the sort of time you have/do into maintaining such levels of gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i dont claim to be a top player or even good but i dont blame the game for my own bad play (and christ do i have bad games too). it doesnt sound like you play just for fun tho. there are many players who play alien that ive played with and they have fun even with a negative score.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think skulk bite is about right, show some kindness to us mere mortals) as it allows for players of different levels to actually enjoy landing even glancing blows (not too disimilar to a SG in that way...noob cannon for spray and prey).
    Movement is still the weakness of the skulk, a marine feels more agile and easier to control than a skulk once you get up close.
    I know I am not the only person on the forums who feels that skulks play like they have lead feet compared to marines.
    I am not saying the best players are not scary to encounter even with 223 skulks but that the average player struggled to break even K:D even when the team was winning.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

never disagreed with movement being 1 flaw for skulk. id like to see the return of walljumping the way it was earlier in the beta. i just dont agree with increasing their attack damage and glancing bite (honestly i think it kind of hinders sometimes). the mechanics are there so that it should be obvious that you need to evolve to win. and honestly i dont see why this is so confusing. just about every game on the market requires you to better yourself ingame to succeed.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am sure even you find it more challenging to skulk later in the game, well the rest of us find it damn near impossible. What easy for you at the start to mid game is challenging for most people, by late game....its just masochistic.
    Focus in NS1 brought a level of scalability.....whether we have focus or poisened bites it does not matter, the key is that it increases the base attack numbers to account for the increased marine armour.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yes i do, but i understand that skulk is the base class, freshly spawned and completely free alien class. focus in ns1 gave skulks the ability to deal damage but you still waited to go other classes and focus didnt save you from someone with good aim. you still died.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens can win, bite means base rushes are viable again but as the game goes on your ability to send your base units in and do significant damage decreases, marines always have the ability to push in a group of 6 LMG marines and do significant damage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

opinion. a good skulk rush with a gorge plus a drifter can murder a marine team
  • VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1997896:date=Oct 26 2012, 09:24 AM:name=Soylent_green)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soylent_green @ Oct 26 2012, 09:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997896"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There was a problem with knock back and bite range being very short. I'm not sure what problem glacing blows were intended to solve.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was put in to solve missed bites that should have landed. These bites are not dead center though, hence the decreased dmg. Just from the few 224 games I've played, I haven't really noticed it much as I try to land dead center bites as much as possible.

Then again I never play skulk for too long because once i hit 30 res I Lerk it up.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    After 1.0 is released and the majority of players are new players I bet the marine win ratio will increase greatly, since they're easier to play.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Someone needs to do some proper tutorials on each of the alien classes, some ARC members would be perfect for doing this.

Just play some footage as each class and then talk over afterwards.

As alien you shouldn't necessarily attack a marine unless the situation is 'right'.

Fade is not about running into the fight and staying there for example, you go in and then out. It takes a while to get used to the idea of this. Two/three swipes during heavy situations, and then out asap even if you miss.

Skulk has to be patient.

I am useless as Lerk, and I don't think this class has quite found its place yet. So i'll hold off on that.

Onos, just needs to know when to start running away.

Gorge...

Etc..

Some basic videos of this would be fantastic for new players, it really would! Showing that this game is about holding marines up and map control, almost as much as it is killing them.
  • RadiocageRadiocage Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1381Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997583:date=Oct 26 2012, 04:34 AM:name=statikg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (statikg @ Oct 26 2012, 04:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997583"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree mostly. I really do not like glancing bite.

For now it seems a bit better, but I would have preferred to just see a increased high damage bite cone between 221-223 size. Now with this glancing bite it can often take 4-5-6 bites to score a kill ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hah, so going from requiring fairly serious accuracy on your bites to NOT requiring serious accuracy is some how making you worse at skulk? This makes no sense to me. You have pretty much the same exact ability to kill a marine as before, except now you can do it easier. You don't need to bite them more to kill them than before. If you are not killing them in 3 bites, you are not aiming well, and that wouldn't have killed the marine before. Glancing bites just added damage fall off where it wasn't before, nothing else has changed. And it is a damn fine system that has made my scores as an alien damn near double.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1997896:date=Oct 26 2012, 08:24 PM:name=Soylent_green)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soylent_green @ Oct 26 2012, 08:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997896"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There was a problem with knock back and bite range being very short. I'm not sure what problem glacing blows were intended to solve.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The knock back was fixed. There was no problem with bite range.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997902:date=Oct 27 2012, 03:28 AM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Oct 27 2012, 03:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->nope, doesnt scale as it would still take 2-3 hits, but you want something that deal more damage and thats not going to happen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Have you used focus? it reduces teh number of bites needed to kill a marine compared to base..thats called SCALING.

I dont have the time or energy to respond to rest of your post...you are the only person who seems to believe that aliens dont need changes including an ability to scale.

Also half my post was to Male Fatalaties (a fellow aussie player) not yourself, who I have played with and against in aussie pubs over the time.

I am far from a poor player, but I should not need to be 1337 to be able to enjoy the alien side, compared to some I am average at best but dont mistake that for being a total n00b.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Aliens are still too weak. My suggestions.

-Move Leap, Blink, Bile Bomb and Spores to Hive 1.

-Make Celerity work in combat.

-Add Focus to the Shade tree.

-Implement hive teleport the way it was implemented in NS1.

-Armories should no longer heal armor. (very big one)

-Nerf GLs vs lifeforms and improve GL physics.

-Buff Crags so you don't need 3+ to be effective.

-Remove Marine sprint.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1997666:date=Oct 26 2012, 05:50 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Oct 26 2012, 05:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997666"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Meh. The NS1 servers where I am from have always run with FF turned on, and I doubt any of the veteran players here would want that to change in NS2. Personally, I much prefer any mechanic that forces the player to make a choice, rather than firing randomly at everything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    NS1 was considerably spacier than NS2, which is a bit of a cluster###### in comparacent imo. At least in pubs, maybe all the problems magically vanish in comp idk.

Also, focus plz.

<!--quoteo(post=1998224:date=Oct 27 2012, 12:21 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Oct 27 2012, 12:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998224"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens are still too weak. My suggestions.

-Move Leap, Blink, Bile Bomb and Spores to Hive 1.

-Make Celerity work in combat.

-Add Focus to the Shade tree.

-Implement hive teleport the way it was implemented in NS1.

-Armories should no longer heal armor. (very big one)

-Nerf GLs vs lifeforms and improve GL physics.

-Buff Crags so you don't need 3+ to be effective.

-Remove Marine sprint.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And then marines never won again, this is absurd.
    <!--quoteo(post=1998225:date=Oct 26 2012, 11:23 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Oct 26 2012, 11:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998225"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 was considerably spacier than NS2, which is a bit of a cluster###### in comparacent imo. At least in pubs, maybe all the problems magically vanish in comp idk.

Also, focus plz.

And then marines never won again, this is absurd.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How is all that absurd? Most of those are proven ideas from NS1.

-Aliens are 100% reliant on the second hive.

-Celerity not working in combat is absurd. Regeration is understandable.

-You agree with Focus.

-Marine defense is rediculous in comparison to Aliens. Between 3 IPs, Beacon, and PGs attacking a marine base is pretty difficult. Marines can just walk into the Hive and axe down upgrades because they know they are going to kill it before some Alien hoofs it all the back to the hive.

-Alien hit and run tactics DO. NOT. WORK. WITH. ARMORIES. THAT. HEAL. ARMOR.

-GLs rape all Alien lifeforms aside from Onos. GLs should not kill Fades so easily.

-One armory to fully heal all marines in 7 seconds, 10 res. I'll just dumb 30-50 res on a healing station for my aliens that will be slower than an armory.

-Between Phase Gates and Beacon, Marines don't need sprint and this is especially apparent on maps like Docking.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1998224:date=Oct 27 2012, 07:21 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Oct 27 2012, 07:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998224"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens are still too weak. My suggestions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a joke post, right? :D

Aliens are winning at least 55-60% in this patch, with your suggestions it would be 80%.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I think balance is always going to feel rather awkward, with how well marines scale with aiming skill while skulks r always gonna be skulkz.

This is just how I feel, always when marine team crosses a certain threshold of aim skill they just roll over aliens.
  • CocoonMaNCocoonMaN Join Date: 2012-10-27 Member: 163906Members
    I have been playing this beta fairly actively for the last 3 weeks. I hate to be the guy who cries imbalance but it's pretty clear that the aliens cannot compete with the marines in mid to late game scenarios at the recommended 9v9. (It is even worse in bigger games which the majority of servers run). I have no idea what needs to be fixed... but if you do not address these kinds of issues your game will not have the longevity that I'm sure you as developers desire. The game is a fantastic game and wonderful concept but you really need to give the aliens a little more somethin somethin to work with here... it's basically save up for an advanced life form, die eventually, and be a non-contributor for the rest of the game. A marine without any upgrades who spawns at 2/2 or 3/3 can still contribute to his teams success... all he has to do is spend 10 res for a jetpack. The alien? Become a gorge? Not getting the job done.

Please consider this... I desperately want this game to succeed at retail and for days to come.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    edited October 2012
    Im noticing bites that should be 75 damage and not 50, a marine facing away from me copped my first bite dead center and only took 50 dmg. I've noticed this many other times aswell where hits arent hitting what its ment to, lag issue? maybe the bites taking preference on another part of the body that is closer but in the outer cone? i dunno what it is but it makes me peak
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1998229:date=Oct 27 2012, 05:32 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Oct 27 2012, 05:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Alien hit and run tactics DO. NOT. WORK. WITH. ARMORIES. THAT. HEAL. ARMOR.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    True, it also decreases the importance of Welders and teamplay. Why play as a team when all you have to do is hump the Armory?
  • ScubboScubbo Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161364Members
    have you tried 255 ?

aliens seem to dominate pretty easily now from the 10~ games i've played since the patch went live
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1998308:date=Oct 27 2012, 06:13 PM:name=Codeine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codeine @ Oct 27 2012, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998308"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im noticing bites that should be 75 damage and not 50, a marine facing away from me copped my first bite dead center and only took 50 dmg. I've noticed this many other times aswell where hits arent hitting what its ment to, lag issue? maybe the bites taking preference on another part of the body that is closer but in the outer cone? i dunno what it is but it makes me peak<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah I noticed some funny things in 225...was not sure if it was me or not.
    Few more bites than I would have expected (even accounting for poor aim)..dont know if its just aliens though.
    <!--quoteo(post=1998323:date=Oct 27 2012, 11:45 AM:name=Namm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Namm @ Oct 27 2012, 11:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998323"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->True, it also decreases the importance of Welders and teamplay. Why play as a team when all you have to do is hump the Armory?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What if only Advanced Armories repaired armor? That way people wouldn't have to beg/wait for welding in the main base, but field armories wouldn't replace teamplay.

Actually that's a pretty good idea, good job me!
  • Red DestinyRed Destiny Join Date: 2012-08-11 Member: 155428Members
    Only Advanced Armouries heal armor -
    I like that idea where only advanced armories healed armor, it would decrease base-waiting Q___Q for welders. If marines could weld themselves in the field, it would pre-emptively cut down on "What if nobody else has a welder?" whining. That has the added benefit of encouraging team play, as only one person needs a welder and is repsonsible for the rest of his squad's armor.

Focus -
    I also like the idea of focus, as it would help with base-pushing into the last marine base as well as letting skulks scale in a way that is still asymmetrical to the way marines scale into late-game. However, since the game is feature-locked atm, I don't expect to see this for at least half a year.

Moving LEAP and ONLY LEAP to hive 1 -
    albeit at a greater cost, but same time duration to research, would be my idea to get rid of the "HIVE-2 OR GG" scenario that I run into in most matches. This allows skulks the mobility that quick-phase gate techs often give to marines. I read someone wanted bile bomb at hive-1 which is just... hahaha a gorge rush would seriously just blow up a marine base since the Gorge-swarm would just heal spray and watch one gorge bile bomb all the IPs.

Ranged Spores, or Buff Lerk Speed -
    Often times I find myself trying to spread spores around in a marine base, only to get blasted in one hit by a shotgun; 30 res down the drain. Lerks take significant risks in AoE-seiging a marine base, whereas a grenade launcher can sit in the entrance and just blast everything (lifeforms/structures) short of an Onos into the infested ground.

Celerity to apply even in combat -
    Marines don't slow down when hit, and they can still jump like Olympic athletes. Yet when anything hits a skulk/Khaara, they suddenly slow down. This assymetry is bordering on marine advantage, unless that was the point of the assymetry. I would also enjoy a "No sprinting for 3-seconds after being hit by a melee attack" to prevent marines from simply dumping their rifle/pistol and outrunning my skulk.

Seriously, marines short of a jetpack should NEVER outrun a skulk that relies chiefly on melee for offense.
    Marines buying welders might help alleviate our little tech explosion problem.
This discussion has been closed.