Fades where are you

CCCorpCCCorp Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14503Members, Constellation
edited October 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Just one thing ive been wondering is why does it take 9-12 mins for fades too show up in regular servers?
Marines already have GL's and almost jp's and have 2-3 hives locked down, this maybe different in competitive games but so far, as i mostly comm, its very frustrating too try and help my team when they cant play any higher life forms.

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Fades don't just magically appear when the game decides you're ready. If you want Fades, you need to hold RTs to get your units some res, and you need to communicate with your team to pick out people to save up. Alternatively, if you have lots of Harvesters, you can just drop Fade eggs.

If, on the other hand, you have no RTs and no team coordination, you shouldn't be surprised when you don't get fades up quick to stay relevant.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    Yes, playing in pubs is frustrating like in every game out there. Perhaps more so in NS2 since it's so crucially team-oriented that you literally cannot accomplish anything alone against decent people working together :-) .

As far as fade delays, it might have something to do that everyone seems to be going Lerk today to check out the spikes'n'stuff :-P . It should "go back to normal" in a day or two.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    If you're not the commander, be sure to specifically ask to save up for fades and blink.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    The 5 lerks on my team might be able to help you with that one.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited October 2012
    a) marines hold 5-7 RTs while aliens typically turtle on 1-3 RTs
    b) no pres while dead & skulks die far more than marines

Consider this: Because marine pres gain is doubled compared to aliens due to RTs, the effective cost of a fade is equivalent to nearly 100 pres for a marine player. Now also consider that fades have relatively poor maneuverability and low health for their 50 pres cost.

(it is even worse in competitive games because competitive marines crush competitive aliens harder than pub marines crush pub aliens)
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Why is it that aliens never hold more than 3 rts.... the games ive played where aliens hold 4-5 rts aliens just dominate. The idea that aliens only need 3 rts i think comes from the streamed competitive game where the players have the skill to only NEED 3 rts.

In my experience, aliens need just as much res (if not more since their purchase points for lifeforms is so much higher) than marines and people should focus on retaining their res just like marines.

Res wins games. Get rts, get lifeforms. More rts means it not as devestating to lose fades. Try to convince your team to keep res.

Its even easier now that alien rts mature 30%, and marine rts die quicker.
  • CCCorpCCCorp Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14503Members, Constellation
    edited October 2012
    i find that aliens can only hold 1-3 nodes due too most people playing on 20-24 man servers which turns in too one or two marines that can aim taking out the alien rt's

yeah if i can hold 5 rt's sure the aliens win because the marines have no res too get a lot of gl's but still i find that fades still come around the 9 min mark and in order as a comm to drop an egg for one lone player for 50 res were i can get 2-3 upgrades for the whole team its not worth it since 50/50 chance of that fade getting shotgun'ed down in the first 2 mins of his life :)

one marine that can aim > entire alien team
    (in pugs that is)

but all these problems are probable fixed in 12-16 man servers or competitive play, only problem is 88% of the people who will try this game out next week are not going to play competitave
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997570:date=Oct 25 2012, 09:59 PM:name=CCCorp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CCCorp @ Oct 25 2012, 09:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997570"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->88%<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

more like 95% lol
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997528:date=Oct 26 2012, 04:24 AM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Oct 26 2012, 04:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997528"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why is it that aliens never hold more than 3 rts.... the games ive played where aliens hold 4-5 rts aliens just dominate. The idea that aliens only need 3 rts i think comes from the streamed competitive game where the players have the skill to only NEED 3 rts.

In my experience, aliens need just as much res (if not more since their purchase points for lifeforms is so much higher) than marines and people should focus on retaining their res just like marines.

Res wins games. Get rts, get lifeforms. More rts means it not as devestating to lose fades. Try to convince your team to keep res.

Its even easier now that alien rts mature 30%, and marine rts die quicker.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

4 res points typically means you have cysts covering 50% or more of the map. Good luck doing that against non blind marines.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997587:date=Oct 25 2012, 11:42 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Oct 25 2012, 11:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997587"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->4 res points typically means you have cysts covering 50% or more of the map. Good luck doing that against non blind marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Killing them helps.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1997528:date=Oct 25 2012, 10:24 PM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Oct 25 2012, 10:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997528"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why is it that aliens never hold more than 3 rts.... the games ive played where aliens hold 4-5 rts aliens just dominate. The idea that aliens only need 3 rts i think comes from the streamed competitive game where the players have the skill to only NEED 3 rts.

Its even easier now that alien rts mature 30%, and marine rts die quicker.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In competitive games, aliens only hold 2-3 RTs because that's all they can hold. Marines are too good for them to hold anymore. It's not that competitive aliens want to only hold 3 RTs, it's that they can't possibly hope to hold any more than that in an even game. The alien RTs past 2-3 are far too vulnerable, impossible to defend, and often force aliens into a situation where they can lose a hive after getting wiped at an RT.

On a map like veil, you're doing really well as aliens if you hold even 3 RTs.

Pubs have a varying degree of skill. Typically good marines are better than good skulks by a larger amount than pub marines are better than pub skulks. Therefore it just gets harder for aliens as marines skill up. Pubs are wildcards, almost any strategy can work or not work based purely on the random skill and teamwork that are displayed in pubs.

In the games where you hold 4-5 RTs you say you dominate. It is the other way around. Because you're dominating you hold >3 RTs.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    At this stage sprint could be removed. Or the max sprint distance halved.
    I think res per kill should be brought back at least then you not relying on your comm/team as much if you want too play a higher life form even as marines res per kill wouldnt be that much of a buff but a nice little here more toys for all your killing
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997595:date=Oct 26 2012, 12:06 AM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Oct 26 2012, 12:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997595"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At this stage sprint could be removed. Or the max sprint distance halved.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This, this, this.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    Before build 210 or something like that, aliens easily held 4 - 5 RTs, just like marines. I too don't really understand where the notion came from that 3 RTs is 'excellent'. If you are sitting on 3 RTs, that usually means the marines are sitting on at least 5!. And a good marine team will be able to really put the hurt on with such res advantage. It's true that aliens can remain in the game, even at 2 or 3 RTs, provided the marines don't put too much pressure, but it's definitely not true that is a truly healthy state. (As you are being heavily outteched, unless you are taking out A LOT of extractors all the time, see logitech finals ARC alien play)

The reason why fades come out so late in most games is simply because at 3 RTs, p.res income is pretty slow, which is also another reason the alien comm usually goes for a quick onos egg. (Although to be fair, I think in 224 a quick fade egg + blink can be equally viable, provided it is given to a great player. But that's 70 t.res, you may as well drop the onos egg for 75...)

That being said, the nerf to marine axe structure damage will probably help in keeping those alien harvesters alive a little easier at least. (And the buffs to skulk and lerk help a llot as well) Also let's not forget that map choice plays a big role here. In veil 2 RTs is usually the most you can expect to hold, where as in for example summit, you should at least be able to get 3 off the start. (And up to 5 once you have that second hive)

P.S Get rid of no res for death, it's a terrible mechanic that primarily punishes aliens. And fix the alien spawn system...
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    Fades currently lack a unique role. Skulks and Lerks fill the assassin role at less costs. After Marines research Armor lvl 3, even a Skulk can kill a Marine faster than a Fade! (They both require 4 hits, but Bite attack rate is faster than Swipe's.)

The only times Fades are effective, are when Aliens can mass them, or for pick off lone Marines. Personally, I prefer Lerk for the role, as they provide much more team support.

Perhaps Swipe damage should be increased slightly (72 punctual damage, or 90 damage to players), to allow 2/3 Swipes to badly injure a Marine with Armor lvl 1/3, followed by one or two ranged hits (Parasite/Spikes/Spit) to finish off.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Fades fell out of favour when they nerfed the blink to oblivion. Even though the blink has returned and is usable again, the meta-game hasn't yet really reacted. These last few patches the aliens have tried to hold on to their dear lives with quick onoses. This is still visible and I think many good fades have fallen a bit out of practice.

Then again, I don't think the lack of fades is completely about the meta or lack of practice. Currently the carapace is pretty much a requirement for fade doing anything effective, and non-blink fading is unforgiving too. I personally find that even though I've practiced fading a lot, I am more effective with a skulk in many situations. Sure, I die with a skulk a lot more, but I also do more damage in most cases. A few patches back I used to eagerly go fade as soon as blink was up, but now I often go fade only because it seems necessary. More practice, maybe. I think it is too early to tell for sure, but I'd love to see a small bump in fade base armour. Something like 50 -> 60-70 for start, to cope with performance increases. The carapace fade doesn't seem to need armour increases though.

Then again, maybe I'll just give 224 some time and non-upgraded fades some practice and L2P ;)
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    I like the necessity aspect on upgrading your life form. Its a much better way of addressing tech explosion in my opinion. It is most noticeable, in my opinion, when deciding to evolve into Lerk or Gorge. Even though I enjoy playing Lerk and find it very powerful, it is very rarely the case that I am raring to evolve the second I hit 30 res. Because the lifeform is effective, but only fully effective in certain situations, whether or not the evolution is a wise choice is always debatable.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1997662:date=Oct 26 2012, 07:32 PM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Oct 26 2012, 07:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997662"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fades currently lack a unique role. Skulks and Lerks fill the assassin role at less costs. After Marines research Armor lvl 3, even a Skulk can kill a Marine faster than a Fade! (They both require 4 hits, but Bite attack rate is faster than Swipe's.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its scary that your a playtester
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    I still see good fades dominate the moment they come out, they just come out later than in older builds. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing)
    I wish they'd revert the marine armor lab upgrade costs to be honest, marines just get to A and W3 too quickly atm.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997662:date=Oct 26 2012, 08:32 PM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Oct 26 2012, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997662"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fades currently lack a unique role...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah the assassin role has really been toned down. It's harder to score kills because it's harder to survive the time required to deliver 4 swipes, plus the time to blink away to safety. Feign death largely got around that, but it was horribly OP for fades, so I'm glad feign is gone.

Even when the fade does score the kill, it's not as consequential as it was in the past. Marines can respawn quickly thanks to IP mechanics and they can get anywhere on the battlefield quickly thanks to phase and sprint. So in effect, often racking up kills as a fade is only a mild disruption to the marine team's agenda.

Of course it is more effective if the marine was carrying a bought weapon. But the marines can recover dropped weapons, so this benefit isn't always achieved. Further, and as some others have mentioned, the way the game plays now with marines holding more res nodes than aliens, that benefit is further diluted (pRes is easy for marines, so losing weapons isn't a big deal).

Over the last 20 builds it feels to me like the number of resource nodes held by marines:aliens as a ratio has flipped. And essentially I think it would be a healthy thing for the game to be designed around balanced resource income resulting in balanced games. It doesn't <i>have</i> to be symmetrical but I think more game balance efforts should focus on balancing resource income to match whatever expectations we have. And then deriving costs based on those expectations, rather than in response to whatever feels right in a given build. Perhaps the balance changes in the last 20 builds have focused too much on raw outcomes without considering what actually happens during the game.

Once upon a time, in build 19x there was a fairly common belief that you couldn't let aliens get 2 hives because fades would win the game. It has changed so much.
    <!--quoteo(post=1997773:date=Oct 26 2012, 07:47 AM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Oct 26 2012, 07:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997773"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Of course it is more effective if the marine was carrying a bought weapon. But the marines can recover dropped weapons, so this benefit isn't always achieved. Further, and as some others have mentioned, the way the game plays now with marines holding more res nodes than aliens, that benefit is further diluted (pRes is easy for marines, so losing weapons isn't a big deal).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

very true alien work hard too finally get he's higher life form (fade) and BAM shotgun rush too hive one mistake and bye bye higher life forms, but unlesss you kill there entire team the marines just sprint in pick up there shotguns/gls and keep walking no loss of res or side effect
    Gorges should be able to put clogs on top of dropped weapons :D
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997820:date=Oct 26 2012, 08:14 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Oct 26 2012, 08:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorges should be able to put clogs on top of dropped weapons :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's.... actually kinda an awesome idea.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    It's almost pointless for me to be a fade anymore. It seems like I die immediately after I get it since it's usually so late in the game. Marines kill a fade with 2 good shotguns blasts, but it takes me about 3 or 4 hits to kill one and their usually in a group. Sure fades do pretty good at hit and run where there are a lot of corners they can get around, but that sucks for actual assaults. It's just disappointing how fades used to be so good at actually taking an area, and now they're just really only good for area denial and harassment.
  • middlemanmiddleman Join Date: 2005-07-18 Member: 56200Members
    I could go fade, but for me, using the skulk is so much more fun. I got nothing to lose and can go all out.

Also able to get lot of kills with my skulk with regen/celerity and just biting, running, walking up wall, jumping head biting = win.

With fade, im like preying i dont die when i blink away. And only go Fade if the game gets too hard. Otherwise I overflow with 100res usually. Honestly, i dont think Fade should get hurt when he blinks. Its trans dimensional man :P

Onos is my worst unit, cause i always die charing the enemy with my skulk buddies behind me, bam, 75 res gone. woo.
    edited October 2012
    More I talk too people the more I see atleast in pugs rush onos egg is cheap and more effective as a hive guard with a Gorge and upgrades for the skulks too keep them alive protecting the reZ nodes , lerk gas for jp's and that's game skip fades lol

I've played natural selection since almost the very beginning, from when the whole game depended on your FPS, i could never jp ran out of fuel instantly, so i know the dev's have come a long way and will keep up the great work, balance is always the hardest thing in these games
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I feel the fade's hp values should be adjusted to ns1 levels (250/150?). Making them much more survivable this might give them 1 -2 more additional shotgun hits before they die, but i feel it would make a world of difference.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    here comes the great fade un-nerfinggggggg
  • ToadvineToadvine Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162405Members
    good, fades should be terrifying, and marines should want to run when they come blinking around a corner.