naturalselection2.com time counter

SyliSyli Join Date: 2011-11-09 Member: 132092Members
Hey, i think its a little bit bugged and depends on the timezone you are in, my ticker says ~6hours, if i change my timezone it will say more or less, depends on the timezone, Iam using up to date Firefox aswell as a up to date Java version.

i use CTRL+F5 for refreshing the site after timezone change, so the cache gets cleared!

greetings Syli

Comments

• Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In the counter .js file, it sets the countdown target to 17:00:00 in Los Angeles time zone (= UTC-7), and at least for me in UTC+2 it calculated the time correctly to that target. I didn't inspect that .js thorougly, so maybe there is something curious going on with how it handles timezone changes.

The .js is <a href="http://www.naturalselection2.com/wp-content/themes/natural-selection/_client/js/countdown.js" target="_blank">here</a> if you want to have a look.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    I tested it thoroughly on the OS/Browsers/etc I have access to and no matter the timezone change it always displays correctly for me, but there are quite possibly bugs with different browsers/versions/etc. Changing the time obviously effects the countdown, as it uses the localtime to calculate the difference.

Sorry to anyone who experiences problems with the countdown clock.

Either way I am really excited to see what will happen when it reaches 0, exciting times!
  • SyliSyli Join Date: 2011-11-09 Member: 132092Members
    edited October 2012
    I figured it out, if you change your timezone to a non "Summer/Winter" Timezone, it gets +1/-1 hour so iam in germany and the Time here has changed recently to Winter time (-1) and if you change it to another timezone like Eastern NA you get +1 hour on your countdown!