Skulk Leap

NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">make it better!</div>Seriously skulks need to be able to leap way further. Like double the current leap. Like in NS1.

Discuss.

Comments

• PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2001240:date=Oct 30 2012, 07:30 PM:name=NolSinkler)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NolSinkler @ Oct 30 2012, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2001240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seriously skulks need to be able to leap way further. Like double the current leap. Like in NS1.

Discuss.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I sort of disagree...
    Just because Leap moved you so far in NS1 doesnt mean it should do in NS2.
    With the way alien movement works its based on momentum, because of this
    leap is not that useful when it comes to traversing the map.

However, it is VERY useful for making quick direction changes and getting behind
    people in combat. Thus IF the leap was made more powerful it would no longer
    serve this purpose and moving around in combat would be much harder due to
    leap over shooting.

I suggest practing leaping over marines head/just past them, biting as you go past
    and then continuing to bite them from behind. Dont attempt this on someone pointing
    a shotgun at you as if they get that lucky shot your dead! :P

But yes... in essence my point is:
    Leap currently works as a useful way to get behind people in the thick of combat, not
    as a way of getting around the map... We already have a way of getting around the map
    quickly and changing leap to do this as well will leave us able to traverse the map really
    easily but less able in combat.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    I find it silly to say increasing leap speed would actually make it harder to fight. On the contrary, it would allow skulks to close the gap faster and make them harder to hit when they are doing so. <b>Getting celerity or not could actually be a choice</b> and there would be a deeper skill curve for controlling leap.

Also aliens do not have a drastically good way to traverse the map, as compared to the ridiculous mobility offered by phase gates.

My personal opinion is that leap feels impotent, especially compared to what it was in ns1. Most importantly, it's not that good for killing jetpackers and now jetpackers go largely unchecked. The current leap even takes vastly more energy that before, giving you only 2 leaps to kill jeptackers, which require 5 bites to kill =(
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2001298:date=Oct 30 2012, 04:22 PM:name=yehawmcgraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yehawmcgraw @ Oct 30 2012, 04:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2001298"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I find it silly to say increasing leap speed would actually make it harder to fight. On the contrary, it would allow skulks to close the gap faster and make them harder to hit when they are doing so. <b>Getting celerity or not could actually be a choice</b> and there would be a deeper skill curve for controlling leap.

Also aliens do not have a drastically good way to traverse the map, as compared to the ridiculous mobility offered by phase gates.

My personal opinion is that leap feels impotent, especially compared to what it was in ns1. Most importantly, it's not that good for killing jetpackers and now jetpackers go largely unchecked. The current leap even takes vastly more energy that before, giving you only 2 leaps to kill jeptackers, which require 5 bites to kill =(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Right. Skulks have quite a hard time versus a jetpacker. Also skulks have a hard time getting close to marines in general. Let's have a longer leap!
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2001298:date=Oct 31 2012, 07:22 AM:name=yehawmcgraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yehawmcgraw @ Oct 31 2012, 07:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2001298"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My personal opinion is that leap feels impotent, especially compared to what it was in ns1. Most importantly, it's not that good for killing jetpackers and now jetpackers go largely unchecked. The current leap even takes vastly more energy that before, giving you only 2 leaps to kill jeptackers, which require 5 bites to kill =(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah i have to agree the energy system is in a way limiting.

aliens would be better off using almost like an mmo cool down system, where bite triggers the leap cooldown as well - so you can leap all you want, but as soon as you start biting your leaping is very limited. (assuming that is important balance wise).

e.g. leap has a 1 second cooldown and so does bite - however biting will trigger the leap cool down aswell.

it would mean adrenaline could be more useful also