Hivecast Invitational #1

ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
<div class="IPBDescription">Hash, rash & tash</div>So I have come up with the idea to start a new series on my channel.
It would be series of invitational tourneys that are just for fun, no cash or prize is involved in this.

<u>Basic idea is to have fun, to promote competitive level of play in the community and again <b>TO HAVE FUN!</b></u>

Basic set of rules:
Tournaments would be hosted once every two weeks.
Clan limit would be set to 4 (in pairs of two from same continent\region)
Games would be played for example EU vs EU and NA vs NA
Winners of each vs each other with Marine games on local server.
Losers play too!
One round consists of two games, only one round is played.
In case of tie a roll of D100 dice would determine who plays which side.
The clan with lower alphabetic order gets 1-50, with higher 51-100, whoever wins gets to choose side, looser chooses the map!

Hope it's simple enough :)

So as is now for the first Hivecast invitational that would be hosted on 11.1.2012 or 11.2.2012 (mm.dd.yyyy)

Clans for first HCI are:

EU: HBZ and duplex
NA: Nexzil and Inversion

Would like all clan leaders to PM me ASAP! :)
(if nothing else we will bump the tourney for next week!)

Cheers!

Comments

• ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
    Nice :D Seems like a lot of fun! GLHF to HBZ, duplex, nxzl and inv!
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Now that the game is out and the comp scene hopefully expands rapidly, I think many teams will rather stick to games on their own continent.

I'm quite confident you're going to find participants anyway, but most likely you've got more quality games and higher skilled participants with some less laggy format. I guess a lot depends on what kind of casts you actually want to do and where your priorities are.

If you want quality games and somewhat serious competition, it's probably better to stick to one continent at a time. If you're fine with kind of silly rounds, occassional lag issues and mainly aim at laid back games to cast, the cross continent system might work quite alright.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck with the project :)
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2002350:date=Oct 31 2012, 11:06 AM:name=Scrajm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scrajm @ Oct 31 2012, 11:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice :D Seems like a lot of fun! GLHF to HBZ, duplex, nxzl and inv!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't worry, Archaea will have it's share too :)

<!--quoteo(post=2002416:date=Oct 31 2012, 11:41 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Oct 31 2012, 11:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002416"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now that the game is out and the comp scene hopefully expands rapidly, I think many teams will rather stick to games on their own continent.

I'm quite confident you're going to find participants anyway, but most likely you've got more quality games and higher skilled participants with some less laggy format. I guess a lot depends on what kind of casts you actually want to do and where your priorities are.

If you want quality games and somewhat serious competition, it's probably better to stick to one continent at a time. If you're fine with kind of silly rounds, occassional lag issues and mainly aim at laid back games to cast, the cross continent system might work quite alright.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck with the project :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As I said, idea is to have fun, not to have major events like BBC, Guru tourney or such. This will be hosted every two weeks, to promote more known clans at start, but to promote the newly formed clans as well. As NS2 stats gets updated I'll have much easier job of tracking the clan list, as well as NS2 hub.

So no need to apply, everyone gets their share in due time.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Deteleted your duplicate topic.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2002506:date=Oct 31 2012, 12:28 PM:name=ArcL!ght)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcL!ght @ Oct 31 2012, 12:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002506"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As I said, idea is to have fun, not to have major events like BBC, Guru tourney or such. This will be hosted every two weeks, to promote more known clans at start, but to promote the newly formed clans as well. As NS2 stats gets updated I'll have much easier job of tracking the clan list, as well as NS2 hub.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, it definitely sounds a pretty awesome thing if you can find an opening there.

I guess my main concern was that I'm not completely sure what makes the tournament stand out from other streams and NS2 content if/when the community size explodes with release. If you can find a way to make people tune in regularly to make it worthwile, it seems like a wonderful way to support the community.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    So, we hit the date(s) in the topic. Is it getting re-scheduled or what's happening with this? :)
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    Will prolly push it back as I can't get hold of Dusk or dePara
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    3 days notice isn't much :D

Add Tempest on steam.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'm pretty sure inversion will be down for this, but think the notice was too short to really be interested this weekend. I think postponing to next weekend will be doable, though. You can add me, dusk, or tempest to steam to contact inversion. Any of us three usually handle setting up scrims.
    I already have all 3 of you, just cant catch you online ;)
    So tourney will be hosted this week at saturday 11.10.2012 (mm/dd/yyyy) starting at 7 p.m. CET (that's 10 a.m. PST) with EU game and at 8 p.m. for NA game, then mix and mashes after it.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2011053:date=Nov 5 2012, 03:16 PM:name=ArcL!ght)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcL!ght @ Nov 5 2012, 03:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011053"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So tourney will be hosted this week at saturday 11.10.2012 (mm/dd/yyyy) starting at 7 p.m. CET (that's 10 a.m. PST) with EU game and at 8 p.m. for NA game, then mix and mashes after it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aren't you bothered at all about the fact that the ESL finals will be held in the same day?

I guess no one knows the exact timing though.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    That sounds like the likely time for the ESL final.

I should also add that this doesn't look like a tournament at all; these are show matches. Nothing wrong with that, but call it what it is.
    You do know I do not stream games due to criminally low upload speeds here in Croatia, so games will be recorded and uploaded on my youtube channel day or two later.

And I said that it will be series of tournaments to promote game, play and FUN.

I for one don't want for NS2 communities to split to NA, EU, A&O, SA or Asia only. I know there is ping difference to bother but let's keep the community together.
    As is, pushed back due to ESL finals. Tourney starting on the morrow
    edited November 2012
    So the first tourney is done.

Thanks again to all the clans for responding to the invites!

You can say that Duplex won the tourney, but in my opinion everyone's a winner, baby, that's the truth, making love to you is such a thrill. Everyone's a winner, baby, that's no lie, you never fail to satisfy! SNAP out of it lol :)

So I would call this tourney a success since we can now see to aim and find the best servers for teams to play on that have decent enough ping for both continents.

In my hearth Inversion won the tourney with their epic hold on the hives, giving a special shout to rantology for awesome gorging.

Best clog wall of the tourney award > Nexzil
    Best hive de# > Inversion
    Most meds dropped on the tourney award> Duplex
    Best guns of the tourney award > Inversion
    Best bites of the tourney award > Nexzil
    Most bullets fired award > Duplex (spending like the whole tech tree worth of res on ammo packs for hive pressures)
    Sneakiest onos of the game award > Nexzil (Bitey :) )

The next HCI will happen in two weeks on saturday since ENSL starts sunday.

Clans will be named in the new topic :) coming this week!

The games are being encoded and will be uploaded in lets say 36h time.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    Thank you for doing this. And sorry for forgetting about it!
    It was fun though, thanks to HBZ and Inversion for putting up good fights!
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    thanks for a fun tournament! some criticisms:

1) cross-region matches should only be played on either UK or east coast servers
    - when we played hbz on our server none of them had over 150ms, but when we switched to their Germany server I was pinging 220+, so there should always be a uk / east server to at least <i>attempt</i> to get equal ping differences

2) have alien rounds always be played on local server? it's quite silly to have 50ms marines shooting at 180ms skulks, and this coin flip solution is just a bandaid. alien rounds should be played on low ms, and the opposite team should just get to pick the map.

ggs
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I have to agree on east coast\UK servers, but have you ever seen marine team picked apart by low latency skulks? and that's without cara or cele...

Nexzil did pretty good I have to say, so did Inversion but usually all marine games are played on native server in every tournament so far so it felt natural to do the same for this one.
    Videos are slowly being uploaded, missing just a few last and that's it.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I think marines should be played on local ping for the first two games of a bo3. The tie breaker, though.. Winner of the coin flip should be able to choose: server or faction. Not both. I think it's unfair to be able to pick both marines and your own favored ping. Maps should either be preset or winner of the coin flip should also pick map along with server/faction.

Or you should just have an even number of games and call a tie a tie. NS2 with odd numbers of rounds is so bad.
    <!--quoteo(post=2022504:date=Nov 13 2012, 10:29 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Nov 13 2012, 10:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022504"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The tie breaker, though.. Winner of the coin flip should be able to choose: server or faction.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fine then, we will do it that way, and I will pick map by random for future tourneys.